I’m sure this isn’t right! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By AwesomeOpossum74
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Larry Schweitzer

post #1 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

View me_Jenna's Photo Album My Photos
I’m sure this isn’t right!

I recently bought a Miter saw.. I am quite new to woodworking so have never owned one before.. I watched videos on how to use it as it just wasn’t as smooth as the videos said.. I took the fence off and assuming my table is flat, it should sit flat.. Shouldn’t it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1580034788490.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	384021  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not know at what I am looking. The fence on a miter saw is not one piece.

Please provide a picture of everything assembled.

George
post #3 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 09:45 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, @me_Jenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_Jenna View Post
I recently bought a Miter saw.. I am quite new to woodworking so have never owned one before ... I took the fence off and assuming my table is flat, it should sit flat.. Shouldn’t it?
Molded plastic often doesn't sit flat when not held down. This goes for a lot of plastic uses, not just miter saws. I'm guessing this piece sits flat enough once it's affixed to the table.

Quote:
...I watched videos on how to use it as it just wasn’t as smooth as the videos said...
You watched a video from someone who's probably a professional, right? They have a professionally sharpened saw, and have experience using it. So many videos make little tasks look so easy. Don't fret about it. The more you use your saw, the better you'll get.
Tony B and John Smith_inFL like this.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
If it is aluminum... Take it back! If it is plastic you may be able to bow it straight as it is bolted to the saw...BUT it must be bolted back so the blade is square to it.
I would just return the saw as defective.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #5 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 12:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What brand of miter saw and from where did you purchase it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
If it is aluminum... Take it back! If it is plastic you may be able to bow it straight as it is bolted to the saw...BUT it must be bolted back so the blade is square to it.
I would just return the saw as defective.

A helpful C/S manager may just offer you a replacement part from a floor model... I donno? It's definitely not right.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-26-2020 at 12:04 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 02:19 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Did you check the fence when it was on the saw? Have you tried to re-install it so it is straight, if you can't then you may have a defective product, I would take it to a repair centre to see if it can set up correctly, they will determine if it is defective or not.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 01-26-2020 at 02:24 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 03:15 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Even if you try to bolt that fence on as straight as you can, it won't be good. Return the saw and spend a bit or a lot more $ to get something useable. A fence has to be perfectly parrallel or your cuts will be poor. Makita makes an acceptable series of miter saws. We've got one of their 12" compounds, surprisingly good. Best miter saw in the shop is an Omga, worst is a Dewalt. But there is a big price difference, not comparable. Lots of home shop guy like the DeWalts. A high quality blade will cost more than the most expensive blade at Home Depot and probably not worth their price on a cheaper saw. You get what you pay for! There is a certain pleasure in using fine tools.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
I would return the whole saw and get something else.
Omga better be the best with their lowest model starting at over $1400.00
I don't know why you say Dewalt is the worst. My fence is straight, 90* to the base and the angles are dead on and repeatable.
What else do I need from a miter saw?

Last edited by Pretender; 01-26-2020 at 05:29 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-26-2020, 06:15 PM
where's my table saw?

Beginner, new to woodworking ......

Quote:
I recently bought a Miter saw.. I am quite new to woodworking so have never owned one before.. I watched videos on how to use it as it just wasn’t as smooth as the videos said.. I took the fence off and assuming my table is flat, it should sit flat.. Shouldn’t it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
Even if you try to bolt that fence on as straight as you can, it won't be good. Return the saw and spend a bit or a lot more $ to get something useable. A fence has to be perfectly parrallel or your cuts will be poor. Makita makes an acceptable series of miter saws. We've got one of their 12" compounds, surprisingly good. Best miter saw in the shop is an Omga, worst is a Dewalt. But there is a big price difference, not comparable. Lots of home shop guy like the DeWalts. A high quality blade will cost more than the most expensive blade at Home Depot and probably not worth their price on a cheaper saw. You get what you pay for! There is a certain pleasure in using fine tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
I would return the whole saw and get something else.
Omga better be the best with their lowest model starting at over $1400.00
I don't know why you say Dewalt is the worst. My fence is straight, 90* to the base and the angles are dead on and repeatable.
What else do I need from a miter saw?

A beginner is NOT going to throw down $1,400.00 for a miter saw.
I wouldn't either. I own an older 12" sliding compound Dewalt 708 has a great reputation, and an older Bosch 4405, a 10" sliding compound. Both are accurate and easy to adjust the settings on.

If you go to the box store and get their home brand of miter saw, that would be Rigid from Home Depot, Masterforce from Menards, or Craftsman from Sears, you will get a reasonably priced saw that will do most operations a home shop will ever need. Replace the blade immediately and it should perform great. You do not need professional quality... I.E. Festool, Omega etc.

The other way to go are the name brand tools, Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Hitachi, for a better quality saw:
https://www.google.com/search?client...end+miter+saws

Finally, the choice between a 10" and a 12" will probably be the 10" versions. Unless you are cutting wide sections of crown molding, no need for the 12".

Home Depot and Menards have great customer service and seldom ask questions when returning anything.... didn't need it, it's defective, it won't stay adjusted etc. are simple truthful reasons for a return.

gmercer_48083 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 15 Old 01-27-2020, 01:32 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
My old Ryobi non-compound saw had a fence with a little of that bad alignment; I eventually got rid of it and now use a Bosh.

Take the whole saw back IF you can, and move up-market in your choice. Or better yet - look on Criaglist for a better saw for not much $.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #11 of 15 Old 01-27-2020, 02:54 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't exactly tell a 'new to tools person' to buy anything off of craigslist.
If you are new to tools, I would suggest you buy something new. Craigslist don't have a customer service for individual purchases.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #12 of 15 Old 01-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Pretender, What I said was the DeWalt was the worst of the 4 miter saws in our shop. I didn't say it was the worst miter saw you could buy. What some people don't understand is that there is a big difference in quality and durability between the things you can buy at Home Depot and what will produce consistent long term results in a production environment, with employees. I bought the Omga when we had a job that required 2500 mitered doors. That's 2000 miter cuts on that one job! It has done many times that since. Still dead on. The Omga is also not the saw for trades people, way too heavy and likely to get stolen on the job site. Some of the Chinese stuff is probably OK, I think DeWalt is now Chinese made. We've not had good performance out of the DeWalt tools but the Makita tools have been very good.

Someone just starting out should not spend big bucks on tools that they may not use for long. On the other hand poor tools may discourage them from continuing. A decent table saw can cut pretty good miters. Do they really need a miter saw? A shooting board & a hand plane will produce a better edge than most jointers. Just because the guy with the most tools wins, doesn't mean you need to compete.
Tony B likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-27-2020, 05:43 PM
where's my table saw?

We still don't know which saw she bought .....

Some research and found all these saws and their prices:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Po...5yc1vZc2d7Z18g

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/p...rforce&page=62

https://www.google.com/search?client...achi+miter+saw

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Po...5yc1vZc2d7Z4j2

It seems like for around $350 to $450 you can get a moderately priced saw, a home shop version, that would work for most common operations.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-28-2020, 01:26 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
OK, I think DeWalt is now Chinese made.
Wrong. DeWalt are US made.

Here on the west cost, the DeWalt 708 SCMS is considered among the best. When the 708 first came out 20+ years ago, there was a problem with the fence that was fixed NC. People seem to like it better than the 779. The 779 is currently on sale at Lowes for $350.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-12-i...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #15 of 15 Old 01-29-2020, 06:43 PM

DeWalt also made in Mexico!
Their web site says made with Globally sourced components.

10 years ago I bought 3 new DeWalt biscuit machines for the install crews. They were terrible. The fences on all of them were not parallel with the cutter, the switches failed, parts that should have been machined were just die cast. They didn't last. Our Lamello biscuit machines are still running fine after many years of shop use. The catch, fine tools are expensive.

Does this operation have any connection to the US DeWalt?
DEWALT Industrial Tool (China) Co., Ltd
Lujiazui Fund Building, 8F,Bamboo Forest Road 101, Pudong New Area,
Shanghai
China

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode