I bought a Drill press without a table. Where to go from here? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

View jleemarlowe's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Drill press without a table. Where to go from here?

Bought a Jet jdp-17fm that has been modified.
I'd like to fit a rack and pinion or affix an adjustable table, but I have limited skill and tools to modify metal.
Any thoughts on how to make this drill useful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you may have to go to a machine shop ....

An Ebay search shows a few drill press tables that may fit, I donno? A machine shop could bore the hole a bit larger if need be.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...table&_sacat=0

Building a table from metal scratch is beyond you skill and tool capacity. A wood table is possible, but clamping it to a round column
would require some large hose clamps or other innovative solution and a means to bore a large round hole.

A split pipe that slips around the column could be brazed to a steel plate with the hole cut or bored, but all that is some fancy metal work .... :frown2:
jleemarlowe likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
An Ebay search shows a few drill press tables that may fit, I donno? A machine shop could bore the hole a bit larger if need be.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...table&_sacat=0

Building a table from metal scratch is beyond you skill and tool capacity. A wood table is possible, but clamping it to a round column
would require some large hose clamps or other innovative solution and a means to bore a large round hole.

A split pipe that slips around the column could be brazed to a steel plate with the hole cut or bored, but all that is some fancy metal work .... :frown2:

Split pipe idea is a good one. I will explore it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It is probably going to cost you about as much to get a machine shop to fit a table to your drill press as a new one would cost. A drill press without a table is of little use.

The only real option that I see is to determine if a replacement table is a available from the manufacturer.

George
post #5 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 05:09 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Parts are here:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/je...653_32655.html

Don't know what you paid for what you have or what all you need but looks like it could add up to the price of a complete drill press fairly quickly.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
"I bought a Drill press without a table. Where to go from here?"

Back to where you bought it to get the table. Its pretty well useless without that, and the cost of making something to serve as a table, at least something that would have any level of accuracy at all, would likely be more than the cost of a new drill press

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 07:39 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
A drill press without a table is like a day without sunshine.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #8 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 07:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A lot depends on what work you are doing. If you need the DP for multiple tasks then you need replacement parts. If though you are building something where you have a repetitive task such as drilling the holes for European hinges then you could just construct a wooden table for that purpose.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
guys, think outside the "box" ...

The OP asked for suggestions how to deal with what he has, the obvious solutions are not what he needs to hear.... get a E replacement table, spend more money on a table than the DP is worth.... etc.

A machine shop with a MIG welder, a 1/2" steel plate, a laser or water jet etc. could build a table in less than an hour.... or real close. An Ebay table could be bored out in no time, Or it may just fit the column he has. Some creative solutions are what he needs... JMO.

How about a hole in your bench top for the column and a scissors or hydraulic jack under the column to adjust the height. How about turn the base into a table, since it already has the right size hole and make a different base that won't have to slide, just hold it from tipping over.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I went through my woodworking library to see if I could find something relative to this issue. The only thing I found was an idea for making a column mounted tool holder for a drill press. It was in "Time Life - The Art of Woodworking, Woodworking Machines". It was designed around two layers of 3/4" plywood with a collar that was drilled to fit around the drill press column. The trick was each layer was cut 90 degrees to each other to fit around the column. The two layers were then glued and screwed together while while the collar was around the column. The design idea was the resulting hole was snug enough not to easily slide up and down the drill press column. I would make the collar even thicker (like maybe four layers) and put a tab on the back side with a split in it. The tab could be drilled for a bolt/nut hole to allow you to clamp the whole assembly so it did not move. You wouldn't have a rack&pinion to raise and lower the table, though. The hard part is boring/cutting the holes for the column. If I had to make that cut, I'd use a router with a jig and a top mounted bearing bit to cut the hole in each layer.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #11 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 10:14 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
This is a $700+ drill press new, OP has the choice of Mickey Mousing something or getting the parts to complete it while they are still available, as I said before it depends on how much he has into it already.

I am old enough to have gone through times when it was often necessary to come up with solutions by thinking outside of the box because there was no other choice, today that is usually not the case.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #12 of 14 Old 10-15-2017, 04:35 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
A lot depends on what work you are doing. If you need the DP for multiple tasks then you need replacement parts. If though you are building something where you have a repetitive task such as drilling the holes for European hinges then you could just construct a wooden table for that purpose.
The wooden table is what first came to mind here as well. Possibly a small screw jack to raise and lower the table maybe? Drawer slides to make it easier to raise and lower with a sacrificial top easily replaceable ? Sounds like a good time to get inventive..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #13 of 14 Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
The wooden table is what first came to mind here as well. Possibly a small screw jack to raise and lower the table maybe? Drawer slides to make it easier to raise and lower with a sacrificial top easily replaceable ? Sounds like a good time to get inventive..
I was thinking more along the line of making a table at a fixed height mounted to the base of the drill press. A drill press has so much pressure I don't think drawer slides could handle it. That's why I said I wouldn't make something homemade unless the DP was to be used for a single operation. If the parts are available I think it would be a good investment to replace the missing parts.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I paid 200.00 for the press as is. Likely the worst deal I've ever made, but here I am.
I've carefully looked at the replacement parts. I can get the press back to stock for around 250.00.

But I still wanted to explore some alternative ideas.
Any homemade table or fixed table would just add to my frustration.

I might buy a sacrificial press for the column,rack and pinion.
So far though, I have not found the exact circumference I need.

I can rule out a column too large, but a smaller one could be shimmed? Idk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode