How much HP for a 3/4 roundover bit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Re-claimer

View Bemore's Photo Album My Photos
How much HP for a 3/4 roundover bit

Hi guys. My first real post here at your forum. I am planing a project that requires alot of 3/4" roundover. I have an old Porter Cable 1 3/4 horse router but I am wondering if it will be powerfull enough to power threw Oak. I am building 8 speakers for a 7.1 surround sound system and I am going to use white oak for the baffles that require 3/4" roundovers all the way around. I have been looking for an excuse to buy a stonger router but I dont want to now if I dont have to. Im looking at the Hitachi KM12VC fixed/plunge 2 1/4HP router at amazon for $129 with free shiping. What do you guys think? Thank you

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
router stuff

Hey Bobby,
Are you planning on using your router freehand with a bearing bit or using it in a table setup? If you have a router table, you could do the roundovers in several passes. Take a partial cut, maybe another partial and then a fine finish cut. I use a milwaukee 1 3/4 hp for all my freehand stuff, and it will do a 3/4 roundover like you are talking. Make sure you have a sharp bit. If you don't have a table, and you have several bearing bits, you may be able to still do the job in a couple of passes. If you have a bearing that is larger in diameter than the one on the 3/4 bit, you can switch it and do a partial cut, if you follow what I am saying. Then switch back to the original bit and finish the cut. Whatever you end up using, try it on a piece of scrap of the same white oak first.
Good luck,
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Re-claimer

View Bemore's Photo Album My Photos
I dont have a table (yet). So I will be freehanding it with a new bearing bit. I do follow what your saying and that actually makes alot of sence. It never ocured to me to just do a couple of "relief" cuts first. The bit set I have has several bearing size's so I will give it a try. Great Idea! thank you Mike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Your PC router should handle a 3/4" roundover. There's not a huge difference from 1-3/4hp to 2-1/4hp. It'll likely be better to take multiple passes to complete the cut.... something I'd probably do even with a 3-1/4hp router.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
router question

Hi All.
I am going to be using a 1/2" roundover bit on some 3/4" plywood my question is , as I am looking down at the sheet of plywood. Is it best to start the router from the left side and work myself around or start on the right side of the sheet and go around the sheet ? I ask because someone told me that with plywood some times you can get a big tearout if you go the wrong way maybe they were talking about a plow cut your opinion please.

This is only my opinion others may think differently.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 PM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
Bobby.
I am sorry, was not trying to take over your post I was starting a new thread and put it here by mistake.

Bruce.

This is only my opinion others may think differently.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Bobby
If your router has an edge guide you could use that as an option to changing the bearing sizes.

Gerry
post #8 of 9 Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a tablesaw, set it to 45 degrees and you could take off most of the material first with it, then rout in one pass, otherwise make several shallow passes. Good luck, Mike
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul K
There is more than one way to measure the size of a roundover bit. Some folks are referencing the diameter, some folks reference the radius. If you are talking about the diameter, then 3/4 inch is not large and should be fine on even a small router, 1/4" shank. In oak, sure it will dull but that hasn't much to do with the HP. If it is the radius, then 1/4" is a bit small, and you are more likely to warp it. But you don't have to change bearings to make multiple cuts iwth a roundover, unlike some bits, just lower it in a couple of passes, that will still work with a piloted bearing. I do that all the time with 1 1/2" roundover bits, (yes, radius, which of course is 1/2" shank) But in oak, I think it is a good idea with 3/4" too, especially if 1/4" shank. If you hit a knot or something a bit hard, you risk bending or even breaking the bit otherwise.
Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode