Hobby woodworking expensive.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Hobby woodworking expensive..

I finally get to get my hobby shop in working order and find its becoming expensive. I sent off 6 blades last week to get sharpened. This week I have 15 router bits to be sharpened and I'm only half way done. Still atleast 6 more saw blades and 20-30 more router bits..

I guess when I was making the money I just order several for spares and set the dull ones to the side....

Word of advise... Don't get behind on sharpening....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 11:53 AM

View WoodyWeekends's Photo Album My Photos
How many saw blades does a hobby shop need? How many saws do you have?
GeorgeC likes this.

Woody
post #3 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Had a cabinet shop before the hobby shop. The unisaw, makita miter saw, dewalt mitersaw, dewalt 12 slider, and the RAS....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 01:06 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
I finally get to get my hobby shop in working order and find its becoming expensive. I sent off 6 blades last week to get sharpened. This week I have 15 router bits to be sharpened and I'm only half way done. Still atleast 6 more saw blades and 20-30 more router bits..

I guess when I was making the money I just order several for spares and set the dull ones to the side....

Word of advise... Don't get behind on sharpening....

You must be hard on blades and have a lot more than I do. I have probably not had more than 4 or 5 sharpened in the last 38 years. And I saw mostly oak.Never had a router bit sharpened.

George
post #5 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Most of those blades been sitting since 2005. I started running out of replacement blades. A lot of those blades had been used one and put away. I kept forgetting to send then with sharpener when I worked at the shops. I'm just ready to get caught up and enjoy the down time. I've got square motise chisels to get sharpened as well or buy new...

Cleaning out the drawers can be expensive...

A lot of the sanding belts I bought in bulk ae going bad. I've had many break in seconds. I guess bulks out these days...

Last edited by Rebelwork; 05-20-2020 at 02:05 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 02:15 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You must be hard on blades and have a lot more than I do. I have probably not had more than 4 or 5 sharpened in the last 38 years. And I saw mostly oak.Never had a router bit sharpened.

George
same here. typically i buy cheap blades, cost more to sharpen than to buy new
i'll find a good deal on combo set and replace ras and table saw at same time
can't say i've ever sharpened a router bit
post #7 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Do you clean your blades? Cleaning can make a big difference in blade performance, and doesn't take much time.

I am using a "blade cleaner" product. When it runs out, I will switch to ordinary household Formula 409, which works just as well.

A round orange bucket lid from Home Depot is perfectly sized to support a 10 inch blade. The flat raised ridges support the blade body above the lid, exposing the teeth. After giving the blade cleaner a little resting time to work, scrub the blade with a plastic brush. I have brass brushes, but have not needed them. I got the brushes at Harbor Freight.

Use a finger in the arbor hole to lift the blade to flip or remove it.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

We never clean blades at the shop. If they need cleaning there already dull..
post #9 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
same here. typically i buy cheap blades, cost more to sharpen than to buy new
i'll find a good deal on combo set and replace ras and table saw at same time
can't say i've ever sharpened a router bit
Sharpening a standard router bit is $5 a large like a raised panel bit is $10.

I don't buy cheap blades....I woulqnt have a made living thinking that way.....
evilboweivel likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You must be hard on blades and have a lot more than I do. I have probably not had more than 4 or 5 sharpened ian the last 38 years. And I saw mostly oak.Never had a router bit sharpened.

George
Hard on blades I'm not.But 8 hrs a day your gonna need more 4-5 blades in 38 years. Now that its hobby I might get more time out of them. But here I won't wait till the blades fight back
post #11 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 03:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Industrial or commercial use ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWeekends View Post
How many saw blades does a hobby shop need? How many saws do you have?
Quote:
Had a cabinet shop before the hobby shop. The unisaw, makita miter saw, dewalt mitersaw, dewalt 12 slider, and the RAS....

In the cabinet shop where they are cutting laminates, plywood and manmade substrates there is more glue and hardened particles than raw lumber from trees, so the life of a blade is substantially different than those used in a hobby shop. After 3 years of normal use, I swapped out my 40 tooth Diablo for a 50 tooth in my main most often used table saw. The 40 tooth wasn't really dull, I just had a friend recommend the 50 tooth, so I wanted to try it. I find virtually no difference in ripping, maybe a touch slower on the feed rate for the material I use?

I have a file drawer full of new, never used 10" saw blades. They will last my life time many times over. I bought them 3 at a time in some cases because they were on sale at stupid low prices. Others are just some of my favorite tooth count Diablos, 24, 40, 60 and 80.
I have been known to have more than one of some things .....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

That's the way it was on ebay back on 2005. Not a lot of people buying there and blades where everywhere on the site. I could buy the Delta blades for $25 shipped.

Now on sanding belts I bought in bulk. 6x80 and 4x24 I bought bulk. I mean boxes of. The belts are falling apart now. I went through six-6x80 belts in minutes not to count the 4x24 belts.

Some things are great and some things even with loses from belt seams failing I didnt do to bad but I was doing production before the big bubble loo e hit..
post #13 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
That's the way it was on ebay back on 2005. Not a lot of people buying there and blades where everywhere on the site. I could buy the Delta blades for $25 shipped.

Now on sanding belts I bought in bulk. 6x80 and 4x24 I bought bulk. I mean boxes of. The belts are falling apart now. I went through six-6x80 belts in minutes not to count the 4x24 belts.

Some things are great and some things even with loses from belt seams failing I didnt do to bad but I was doing production before the big bubble loo e hit..
Stupid suggestion, but can you super glue on both sides on the back side on an old belt before you use it?
post #14 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

The belt will generate heat and withh release the glue...
post #15 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 08:03 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow Not super "glue" ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Stupid suggestion, but can you super glue on both sides on the back side on an old belt before you use it?

Since the belt flexes so often and around such small diameter rollers, glue won't last. I did see a Tube Tube where the guy uses iron on fabric patches for denim jeans with good success. So, I bought some, haven't tried them yet.

You could pre-reinforce any questionable seams......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #16 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 08:26 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
Like you I have too many blades, most are in good condition and the others have never been used. I have only sent Amana rip blades to Ridge carbide about 4 times in 40+ years to be sharpened. These are one of the better blades I have used and worth sharpening. Freud and a couple of other brands that are good blades but not top shelf , I sharpen myself or toss out. My sharpening is a touch up only.
I generally toss out most router bits except for the large hand rail, window sash and raised panel cutters. These I send to Ridge Carbide. If I recall I never sent out the window sash cutters or the handrail cutters, the raised panel cutters have been sharpened a number of times. Had to replace the raised panel cutters at least once I recall. Cutters can only be sharpened so many times till either new carbide or replacement becomes necessary.
I'm retired and do not need the multiple blades and cutters anymore. Grandchildren will get everything .
mike
post #17 of 30 Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I'll buy more belts. Not gonna try and salvage old belts. I'm poor but not that poor. I'll spend the $15 on a new one.....
Tony B likes this.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-08-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Sent off and got a few more back. Sharpening cost over $200. Sent a Freud raised panel set to get sharpened. Not even sure of the cost. Next the Amana panel set.

Wife has been giving me the evil eye since I wasn't there when he showed up and she had to write the $125 dollar check
post #19 of 30 Old 07-08-2020, 08:33 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
In 50 years I never had a blade sharpened, albeit I don't do much with plywood. But a carbide blade will last me 10+ years, then I just buy a new one and I do a lot of cutting..
post #20 of 30 Old 07-09-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post
In 50 years I never had a blade sharpened, albeit I don't do much with plywood. But a carbide blade will last me 10+ years, then I just buy a new one and I do a lot of cutting..
I wouldn't want to use your saws. Be safe...
evilboweivel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode