Hi! Newbie here from CC, NV - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

View OrphanHome's Photo Album My Photos
Question Hi! Newbie here from CC, NV

I acquired a Delta TP300 Planer awhile back. The blades needed sharpening, so I had that done. When I reinstalled them, the set gauge was missing as was the wrench. A wrench is no problem. But I set the blades in place, eyeballed the set and tightened the many bolts to secure them. I've used this planer for over a year without a problem. However, dull blades necessitated turning the blades over.

Following the handbook instructions, I cleaned the recessed channel with a cloth and set the parts back in place. Note: one of the springs had popped out. Unable to find a replacement commercially, I substituted a piece of spring from a ballpoint pen. Though slightly larger in diameter, it did slip into the hole with a bit of force. Using a short board for a test, I fed it into the machine and got it slammed into my gut at high speed. Thinking I had put the blades in backward, I switched them and had a repeat of kickback. Finally, I discovered not to use anything under 20 inches long.

You Tube has a video that shows blade setting specifications. Due to the ridiculously high price for the gauge, I made my own out of wood using a dowel and a piece of Douglas Fir. Though not quite as accurate as a metal OEM gauge, it seemed close enough for my shop work.

I pulled the blades, inspected them to find some slight damage due to the violent kickbacks. Having no others, I installed everything correctly, set the blades and tested the machine. The test board came out a bit thicker on one side than the other. Two attempts were made to level the blades to no avail.

I'm guessing that the substitute spring may be acting as a stop--not retreating into the hole as it should. Anyone have a thought on what else I might consider? Anybody know where an OEM gauge might be obtained at a reasonable price? Last of all questions, it a micrometer were used in place of a gauge setting device, is the setting known by anyone here?

I did see a video on You Tube where a fellow set his blades with one but he covered most of his steps with a big hand and never mentioned what setting the micrometer had. In my position I have very little budget for tools & equipment so must make do with bubble gum, masking tape & pliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
general tools, new member, tool adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode