• 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86
  • 1 Post By nodlenor62

post #1 of 10 Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
HF 14 inch bandsaw

Does anyone know what size miter slot is on the central machinery 14 inch bandsaw?

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Are you looking to buy one? FWIW, I had a HF benchtop BS and it vibrated like crazy. Gave it away and bought a Delta. I know there is a price difference in the HF and other brands but, if possible and in your budget, go for a name brand. JMHO.
mjadams61 likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
Does anyone know what size miter slot is on the central machinery 14 inch bandsaw?
Looking at a picture of it on the net it doesn't appear the miter gauge is very usable. The one that comes with it looks like a toy. It appears the miter slot is only around 1/2" wide.

I don't use a miter gauge on a bandsaw at all. The first bandsaw I bought is a Shopsmith and while it's a good saw it has miter slots running in two different directions. I kept hanging wood in the slots when doing scroll work so I glued strips of wood in the miter slots to make the top flush.
mjadams61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Are you looking to buy one? FWIW, I had a HF benchtop BS and it vibrated like crazy. Gave it away and bought a Delta. I know there is a price difference in the HF and other brands but, if possible and in your budget, go for a name brand. JMHO.
I know but was just curious. I been looking at the Grizzly 14 inch for around $625 and I also had a HF bandsaw benchtop model way back when and it vibrated too and I took it back. But the newer HF benchtop I saw a couple of days ago had a tension release so maybe they finally got a decent one. But I want a larger one and been looking at the Rikon delux 10 inch bandsaw 10-306 and it has a resaw of 5 inchs and the grizzly has 6 inch dept of cut.

I dont know if I want the bigger bandsaw since my shop siz is 10'x16'. I do had a ideal of a portable workbench where I can mount my benchtop drillpress and a benchtop bandsaw on it so I can store it against the wall and move it out when needed.

Right now I have the Wen 9 inch and its been pretty decent for what I am doing but it had just over a 3 inch dept of cut and I want something I can do a little more.

Marlin

Last edited by mjadams61; 02-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Around here on any given day there are several used brand name models listed on Craigslist for a reasonable price, 14" is what most start out with and then eventually upgrade to a larger model. There are many older Deltas that size still going strong.
mjadams61 likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 03:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Cast iron 14' bandsaws are ......

They are basically very similar, Delta, Grizzly, Powermatic, and General including Harbor Freight. In fact they may be made on the same assembly line ... I donno? Those who purchased the HF recommend it:
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...saw-60564.html

OK, there is an issue! It doesn't come with a fence! Fences can be made easily enough, but that seems like an basic part of the machine to me. Here's a quick and simple one you can make using an F clamp and 3 pieces of wood;
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/...ets-see-44227/

mjadams61 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 04:52 PM

I need to clarify- my BS is a Rikon which has a non-standard 5/8 inch miter slot. I looked at their miter but it isn't what I would regard as high quality. Made one out of scrap wood but need to make one a bit better that rides in the slot instead of on the edge of the table. I do like it, though.
mjadams61 likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
I need to clarify- my BS is a Rikon which has a non-standard 5/8 inch miter slot. I looked at their miter but it isn't what I would regard as high quality. Made one out of scrap wood but need to make one a bit better that rides in the slot instead of on the edge of the table. I do like it, though.
Yea I notice alot of bandsaws especially under 14 inchs has the 5/8 miter slot but that isnt a deal breaker for me since there is plenty of materials out there to make a diy miter bar and I done decided on the rikon 10-306 10 inch deluxe because of its 2 position fence and height of cut and being the right size for my small shop and plus it has tension release to swap out blades. So just have to save up the money :) after I get me a benchtop jointer.

Marlin
post #9 of 10 Old 02-24-2019, 02:38 PM

I do like the Rikon BS. Seems like there a lot of DIYers here.
mjadams61 likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM

View nodlenor62's Photo Album My Photos
My HF 14” bandsaw has a 5/8” miter slot. I wish it was 3/4” but I can live with it the way it is except it seems to taper a bit on the back side. I wonder if a replacement can be found that would solve both problems?
mjadams61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode