Help Identifying Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

View Dr.Love's Photo Album My Photos
Question Help Identifying Table Saw

I have found a table saw for sale a couple hours from where I live and the lady selling it does not know who the manufacturer is or what the model is. It is located at a family members cabin shed so she cannot go look at it easily. I tried combing through http://vintagemachinery.org/ looking at the pictures but nothing matched. It looks like a Rockwell/Delta but I cannot tell for sure. Does anybody have an idea of who made it? If I can narrow down my search, I think I can find what model it is. I would hate to drive a couple hours for a cruddy saw that I could get around my area. The real reason is to make sure it is a good saw since I talked my wife into letting me buy it. If I drive 4hrs round trip for nothing I will never hear the end of it and will lose my credibility in the future. Thank you everyone in advance!

- Drew
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-12-2016, 11:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It looks Asian made to me. If that is the case that would explain why it's not at Vintage Machinery. They don't allow Asian.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

By Asian, do you mean an Asian company or "American" company branding on an outsourced saw? Do any brands pop into your head by chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 12:32 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I think this saw is pretty old. My best guess would be '50's or '60's.
These were key years for home craftsmen and do it yourselfers. Power tools were hot!
We really weren't importing a lot of stationary tools in those years, but there were a lot of private label saws made for the chain retailers. Some of those retailers are now long gone or at least no longer selling woodworking machines.
Examples like Montgomery Wards, Western Auto and of course Sears.
Some of these old machines were well made heavy machines but their resell value is low these days.
When you have a chance to inspect the TS, there should be a name on it somewhere. The name will give you a clue to the original seller but maybe not the original Mfg. Some of the original Mfg have long been out of business.
Color means nothing on these old machines because some have been painted many times over the years.
Buy cheap if you can. Gather all the accessories and any extra blades you can.
Good luck.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 04:56 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
request a photo of the name plate

You can see the name plate on the front of the saw. I enlarged it but can't determine what saw it is. A better closeup photo would tell you right off who made the saw. Where do you live ... like in Canada or UK? That would limit the number of makes available.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Good call woodnthings, I live in the US, central Minnesota. I saw the badge on the front but could not find the same shaped badge on any other picture. One other thing I found interesting is that the crank wheel has 4 spokes and everything else has 3 spokes from what I could tell, at least from the bigger recognizable names.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Not Asian, it's an Atlas I'm pretty sure.

Several that are very similar, and an article that refers to one almost identical...

https://www.google.com/search?q=atla...UIBygC#imgrc=_
post #8 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Atlas is pretty close

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Not Asian, it's an Atlas I'm pretty sure.

Several that are very similar, and an article that refers to one almost identical...

https://www.google.com/search?q=atla...UIBygC#imgrc=_

Here's one of the Atlas saws:

I searched for saws with a similar fence, but couldn't come with an exact replica. I also checked Boice Crane and Walkler Turner... no luck.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Here's one of the Atlas saws:

I searched for saws with a similar fence, but couldn't come with an exact replica. I also checked Boice Crane and Walkler Turner... no luck.
I can't find the exact saw either, but many of the Atlas attributes are very close. The fence rails, and a variation of the rip fence where the lock down is similar. Similar cabinet and base as well. Atlas built for a number of other brands, could be one of those. Otherwise it's likely one of the other older manufacturers as you mentioned, Boice Crane, Walker Turner, etc...

post #10 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Excellent job posting the pictures. Picture worth a thousand words....

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #11 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Smart and Cool

Bam!!

Darra-James...

Manufacturer: Darra-James Corp.
Machine Type: Table Saw
Description/Model: 85A
Machine Size: 8"

The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
Dr.Love (12-14-2016)
post #12 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM

View joek30296's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like Shoot Summ nailed it! Notice where the on/of switch is located compared to your picture.
Unless you're into vintage equipment and it was almost at a giveaway price, I wouldn't drive 2 hours one way to look at it.

Just my 2 cents.

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong!"
post #13 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joek30296 View Post
Looks like Shoot Summ nailed it! Notice where the on/of switch is located compared to your picture.
Unless you're into vintage equipment and it was almost at a giveaway price, I wouldn't drive 2 hours one way to look at it.

Just my 2 cents.
Good advice.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bam!!

Darra-James...

shoot summ, you rock! That was amazing. I knew I came to the right place. The vintage part is fine as long as it is accurate, but I am not really wanting an 8" saw. The saw is listed for $50 so I thought it might be worth it but thanks to everyone's help, especially shoot summ's, I will be saving some gas this weekend!
post #15 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
shoot summ, you rock! That was amazing. I knew I came to the right place. The vintage part is fine as long as it is accurate, but I am not really wanting an 8" saw. The saw is listed for $50 so I thought it might be worth it but thanks to everyone's help, especially shoot summ's, I will be saving some gas this weekend!
Good decision.

It was a collaborative effort, woodsnthings mentioned Boice Crane and Walker Turner, it actually turned up while I was looking at images of one of those...
post #16 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Bam!!

Darra-James...

I had a '50's model Darra James 10-12" cabinet saw I had bought used years ago.
It was a good saw but it weighed a ton with its solid cast base.
I got a lot of flak from this forum for saying I sold it and went to a Delta Contractors saw. But the DJ was just too heavy and big for my small shop. :smile3:

Tags
table saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode