Help with Identifying a Jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 02-17-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Help with Identifying a Jointer

Hi

I picked it up for free, off of CL, but there are no identifying marks on it. I spent the last hour going through google images in the hope of finding a image that comes close to it but no luck. So if anyone knows what make and model it is could you let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3147.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	342121  

Name:	IMG_3148.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	342129  

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	342137  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
Does it really matter? Iíve never seen one quite like it.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
It really doesn't make a difference. Clean it up, use it and be done with it. Replacement parts are probably not available anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi

I found this underneath the grime below the front bearing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	342169  

post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You might have better luck finding someone at Vintage Machines that could recognize it. That is all they do. http://www.vintagemachinery.org/
post #6 of 14 Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks Steve for the link, the guys on that forum helped me figure out who manufactured it, it's a old Davis & Wells 6" jointer.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-20-2018, 10:12 PM
Mad

View Mad's Photo Album My Photos
How were you able to join OWWM?

They wouldn't let me join. I couldn't think of a user name that hadn't already been taken, and unlike this forum's software, their software doesn't let you know that the user name you've chosen has already been taken until AFTER you've submitted the entire registration form. Then, and only then, you are informed that the user name has been taken, and after several successive but unsuccessful attempts at guessing a user name that hadn't already been thought of, my email address was banned. They literally sent me a message stating "no soup for you... We block spammers"
post #8 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Hi

That site has two registrations, one for the archives and one for the forum, the one for the forum requires you to answer a question to prove you are a human. The question is "Why do you want to join", In my case I told them exactly why, I needed help identifying an old jointer. After that they sent me an activation email. From what I have read about there forum here on this forum they are strict about there rules, so if you really want to register there come up with a good user name, enter your real name, and give a legitimate answer to there question. If that don't work contact the administrator and ask why they keep turning you down, that's all I can suggest.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad View Post
How were you able to join OWWM?

They wouldn't let me join. I couldn't think of a user name that hadn't already been taken, and unlike this forum's software, their software doesn't let you know that the user name you've chosen has already been taken until AFTER you've submitted the entire registration form. Then, and only then, you are informed that the user name has been taken, and after several successive but unsuccessful attempts at guessing a user name that hadn't already been thought of, my email address was banned. They literally sent me a message stating "no soup for you... We block spammers"
Those people are really touchy. Maybe they just don't want any mad members.

One of the golden rules over there is don't ask what something might be worth. That will set them off faster than anything.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Mad

Ha! I couldn't give a firm fig about what anything is worth. I don't sell anything. That would be the last question I would ask.

I do, however, have over a half dozen vintage woodworking machines that I would like to restore to their former glory or better, and that forum would seem to be the perfect venue to ask questions and share my own solutions with in the pursuit. But alas, they won't even answer my emails. I even offered to post some vintage manuals that an 80 year old man gave me, that another 80 year old man gave him in the late 1950's. Seriously vintage stuff. No answer.

So I joined WWT instead.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad View Post
Ha! I couldn't give a firm fig about what anything is worth. I don't sell anything. That would be the last question I would ask.

I do, however, have over a half dozen vintage woodworking machines that I would like to restore to their former glory or better, and that forum would seem to be the perfect venue to ask questions and share my own solutions with in the pursuit. But alas, they won't even answer my emails. I even offered to post some vintage manuals that an 80 year old man gave me, that another 80 year old man gave him in the late 1950's. Seriously vintage stuff. No answer.

So I joined WWT instead.
I don't get it. That is a common need to know thing what something is worth. Prices vary a lot around the country and it's really not possible to get an accurate value online but those guys over there get ticked off if you even ask the question.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:53 AM

View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
I understand why OWWM doesn't want pricing questions. I like old bikes and hang out on a few old bike forums. It's annoying to get a single post from someone that found a rusty old 70's era Schwinn and thinks they just won the lottery when in fact it's worth its salvage price. Eliminating the one a done participants keeps the forum focused away from the inevitable bickering and claims of a better deal.

I like that OWWM allow guests to see all the images. Sawmill Creek won't let me in and all I want to do is see the pictures. Sawmill Creek is way too intense for me to participate.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Mad

Forums whose moderators are wound up too tight end up losing in the long run.

The folks who own this forum (Vertical Scope) also own a myriad of automotive forums... quite an extensive portfolio actually. Well, they bought what was once THE Number ONE forum of a very popular brand of diesel pickup truck. This forum once exceeded all others by a huge margin in terms visits, posts, participation, and traffic.

But with the new ownership, some moderators who were friends of the original owner left the site, leaving another moderator defacto in charge of directing forum traffic (since Vertical Scope staff appear to remain in the background as invisible collectors of the ad revenue, without getting too involved in the day to day dynamics of forums that were already established when they purchased them).

Anyway, this particular moderator's style turned what was once a vibrantly active 1,500 to 3,000 post per day forum... into a 25 post per day ghost town. And it is quite funny to see a lot of the same "regulars" on a different forum, owned by a competitive forum aggregator, which has more of an oligarchic moderator structure, as opposed to individual fiefdoms. And by regulars, I mean folks who've been chatting with each other for almost two decades now. These aren't "one and done" types of sign ups who only come for the silver spooned answer to their immediate question. These are long time contributing and engaged participants... who moved on because their original forum was being destroyed by the overbearing interpretations of one moderator who deleted, excluded, and banned other members repeatedly.

So now he has the forum looking like he wants it. And no one is there. Vertical Scope got a bad deal on that property, even though it was the best property on the net (for that narrow subject matter) at the time they bought it. If OWWM and SawCreek Mill are so restrictive in their admission of new members, then, they simply won't get new members, and the traffic and dynamic interest will turn and flourish elsewhere.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-18-2018, 04:58 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdragon View Post
Hi

Thanks Steve for the link, the guys on that forum helped me figure out who manufactured it, it's a old Davis & Wells 6" jointer.
Your old jointer looks made well with several nice features. It looks to have a fully adjustable fence and a wide rabbet table. If it works, I think you got yourself a good jointer.
There are several ways to set the back fence to the blades but the best way is with a dial indicator. You can get it dead on.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode