help cleaning up an old saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

View larry0846's Photo Album My Photos
help cleaning up an old saw

my brother-in-law was cleaning out his garage and i acquired a ridgid 3750 as a gift -- been in the garage a while but has set up and cleaned up pretty well -- to remove rust from the deck i saw a post recommending mineral spirits and scotch brite pads -- using an orbital sander for the tough spots --

will that contaminate my sander ?

many thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 01:34 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0846 View Post
.......will that contaminate my sander ........
probably, yes. hand pressure should be all that's needed with the proper grit scotch brite pad. start rough and go finer as te top cleans up.

and you probably meant a 3650, not a 3750.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

many thanks, toolguy -- yes, it is a 3650 -- what grit would you start with (color ?) --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I sand the tops of my machinery all the time to cut rust. I've never had a sander hurt by it. As far as the scotch brite pad rather than use mineral spirits I would use Johnson Paste Wax. Over time it will even remove stains.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
my brother-in-law was cleaning out his garage and i acquired a ridgid 3750 as a gift -- been in the garage a while but has set up and cleaned up pretty well -- to remove rust from the deck i saw a post recommending mineral spirits and scotch brite pads -- using an orbital sander for the tough spots --

will that contaminate my sander ?

many thanks for your help.
No sander problem. You are not going to pour the mineral spirits on the sander. The mineral spirits is for use with the scotch pad. Personally for that part I prefer WD-40 and steel wool.

George
post #6 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
It won't hurt your sander. Just don't use any liquid or spray when sanding. I've always used 220 grit paper. Maybe if it's really bad you'll want 180. Then go to 220 to finish up.

To sand the mitre slots out take a piece of scrap wood that it's flat and square and that fits easily into the slot. Then take a piece of sand paper and use spray adhesive to fix the paper to the wood. This way you'll be able to sand the sides and bottom of the slot while making sure you don't round over the corners or anything close to that. It'll all stay square and flat.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
I always recommend using a chemical rust remover instead of sanding. Chemicals will only remove the rust, they won't touch the good iron, where sanding removes everything.

Furthermore, chemicals will remove rust below the surface of the iron, where sanding requires you to remove all of the surrounding good iron to get at the low rust spots.

I like Evaporust, or CLR, or The Must for Rust - they all work well.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Whatever method you choose to "remove the TS rust", please consider covering the motor and electrical switch with plastic bags to prevent the fine rust dust from entering those items, and create another problem. Also using paste wax on all surfaces will give a smooth non-dust collecting finish. Enjoy your new "toy" and be safe.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 05:38 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Wet sand with an oil to prevent dust. It won't hurt your sander.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

just wanted to thank everyone for the great help -- truth be known, i had already started with the mineral spirits and scotch pad -- wasn't doing much until i added the sander and that with the pad and mineral spirits really took the worst places off -- then i thought ..... and hence the original post -- in the end, i did a little of everything -- but the pad, mineral spirits, and sander gave the best results -- so i ordered a new pad for the sander -- it was about time anyway -- when i sent the picture to my brother-in-law -- he replied he wanted his table saw back -- i told him he'd sooner get his sister back before i surrendered the saw -- oh -- gotta go -- guess whose coming down the hall .... thanks again.
Attached Images

post #11 of 15 Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
i told him he'd sooner get his sister back before i surrendered the saw -- oh -- gotta go -- guess whose coming down the hall .... thanks again.
A moment of silence for our fallen comrade. We wont be seeing him again...

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #12 of 15 Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Larry, we aren't going to tell your wife that you said that, we are just going to ask her does she know it. LOL

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I sand the tops of my machinery all the time to cut rust. I've never had a sander hurt by it. As far as the scotch brite pad rather than use mineral spirits I would use Johnson Paste Wax. Over time it will even remove stains.
agreed. but the sander could create a larger mess by scattering whatever lubricant (mineral spirits or wd40) is used more so than hand application and the lubricant, is it splashed onto the sander, might damage the sander.

post #14 of 15 Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1000 View Post
agreed. but the sander could create a larger mess by scattering whatever lubricant (mineral spirits or wd40) is used more so than hand application and the lubricant, is it splashed onto the sander, might damage the sander.
I don't use any lubricant with an electric sander, dry sand only. The only thing I use is wax by hand with a scotch brite.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
just wanted to thank everyone for the great help -- truth be known, i had already started with the mineral spirits and scotch pad -- wasn't doing much until i added the sander and that with the pad and mineral spirits really took the worst places off -- then i thought ..... and hence the original post -- in the end, i did a little of everything -- but the pad, mineral spirits, and sander gave the best results -- so i ordered a new pad for the sander -- it was about time anyway -- when i sent the picture to my brother-in-law -- he replied he wanted his table saw back -- i told him he'd sooner get his sister back before i surrendered the saw -- oh -- gotta go -- guess whose coming down the hall .... thanks again.
congrats on the saw. properly cared for (i.e., not abused), it should last almost indefinitely and handle whatever a hobbyist needs to handle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode