Help buying used tablesaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

View desertsp's Photo Album My Photos
Help buying used tablesaw

Looking for assistance selecting a used table saw on Craigslist.

Coming from a $100 craftsman 113 (80's machine) that's unreliable and inaccurate - I know these can be turned into nice saws but I never seem to find the time. Have about $400-500 to spend initially and maybe another $100 for eventual upgrades and accessories (riving knife, fence, etc). First priority is safety, followed by achievable accuracy, followed by convenience of setting up cuts.

There are a couple nice looking ones currently on Craigslist in my area (south central Wisconsin) but I'm having trouble deciding which is the best buy (if any).

https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/6109731376.html (this appears to be the best overall quality, comes w/ a Unifence)
https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/6106229130.html (honeycomb wings, is that ok?)
https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/6089553698.html (I believe this used to be listed $500. Also appears to be in good condition. Includes some safety equipment but not sure how good it is.)

Any opinions before I contact the sellers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I will first ask, what is unreliable and inaccurate about you current 113 table saw? Also, what is the model # of the 113?
post #3 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Well...to begin with it stopped working some time ago. Midway through an easy cut it shut off and tripped the circuit breaker. It was also difficult to adjust the blade angle, the fence wasn't smooth operating or square to the blade, and the safety equipment (splitter and guard) were pretty janky. To be honest it might be worth it to tear it down, repair and clean everything, and re-assemble...but I just haven't found the time and am worried it would turn into a larger project than anticipated - I have a way of letting that happen :)

Another thing is that I now have a dust collector, and am thinking that some of these newer saws may be more compatible with that.

I will have to get the model # tonight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
My reason for asking wasn't to convince you the 113 saw was a good saw worthy of use or repair, just trying to get an idea of what limits it had to lead your search for another or new saw.

Anyway, $400-$500 plus another $100 for upgrades could have you flirting in new saw territory. That may be an area to explore as well. Ridgid still offers a contractor saw for $600.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 04:10 PM

View StampBear's Photo Album My Photos
for your price range, you can get a new saw with a full warranty at HD. here is the link to the newer model of that Ridgid
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...4512/202500206

I just bought the model that you have on your GL links ( TS3650) and I love it but you will not get a riving knife on that older model and the splitter is a bit of a beast. I dont mind personally, but you stated that you wanted quality and safety.

This is a great saw and once set up correctly is very accurate.

~ Bear

I am here to learn.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
The fence on that Grizzly isn't much better than the old Emerson fence on your 113. Rugged enough saw, is right tilt, and is worth more like $250 IMO.

The 3650 is a nice saw....$400 a bit steep IMO, but $$300-$325ish would be fair. Ironically, the 3650 is extremely similar to your 113 under the hood...some parts are even interchangeable. What you gain is solid cast iron wings, the Herculift, a much better fence, and an improved serpentine belt drive and pulleys.

The Delta with the Unifence is a nice saw too. $500 is also steep IMO. The Unifence is nice, it looks to have at least one solid cast wing, nice mobile base, but it's still an old school contractor saw with an outboard motor, traditional splitter vs a riving knife, is right tilt and no warranty. $350-$400ish is fair IMO. At some price point a new saw does come into play, but I doubt most of the new $600 saws are built as well as this.

This Craftsman is a good deal. Similar to your saw and the 3650, has a cast router table, and an upgraded fence similar to the Ridgid's. $150 is a good deal.
https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/6120707007.html

This one could also be worth a look and an offer:
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/6121702084.html

Ditto this one:
https://dubuque.craigslist.org/tls/6085916716.html

Double Ditto:
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/6071414000.html

Add wings....great fence:
https://rockford.craigslist.org/tls/6080728334.html

This one is rough, but is a giveway price, and should clean up ok. The motor and fence are worth twice the asking price if the motor runs.
https://rockford.craigslist.org/tls/6088664267.html

What to pay is always a subjective and is a personal choice. Doesn't hurt to take a look, and make a fair offer for something....worse they can say is "no" and call you names! ;-)

Last edited by notskot; 05-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-08-2017, 05:01 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Buy the new Ridgid R4512 for that price range. It will work perfectly with a good blade. The riving knife and guard setup work great.

I've had one for years and it works well. No issues.

It's a lot easier and faster than messing around with the used market.
Project510 likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 01:54 AM

View heresdarren's Photo Album My Photos
Have you thought about a radial arm saw?
post #9 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The criteria you have I think the Rigid would be the best saw for you. The other two saws seem to be missing the safety equipment.

It's interesting all but the Delta want to keep the motor info a secret, especially the Grizzly. Have to wonder why they even posted the motor picture.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampBear View Post
I just bought the model that you have on your GL links ( TS3650) and I love it but you will not get a riving knife on that older model and the splitter is a bit of a beast. I dont mind personally, but you stated that you wanted quality and safety.
What do you mean by it's "a bit of a beast"? I am thinking that if a new Ridgid saw is $529 at HD, then I can get them down to around $300 on the used older model, which would really be the smart buy in my financial situation. I had sort of blindly assumed that $400-600 was where I needed to be in order to substantially upgrade from my (broken) craftsman. If I can get what I -need- for less...that's more $$$ for other tools that I also need.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's interesting all but the Delta want to keep the motor info a secret, especially the Grizzly. Have to wonder why they even posted the motor picture.
Agreed, but I try to cut sellers some slack with the close-up photos, usually most have been receptive to texting better quality ones on request.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Buy the new Ridgid R4512 for that price range. It will work perfectly with a good blade. The riving knife and guard setup work great.

I've had one for years and it works well. No issues.

It's a lot easier and faster than messing around with the used market.
This is tempting. I like the idea of the riving knife, warranty, and no having to worry about any technical issues. Sounds like Ridgid has (or had?) good post-sale support. Going to have to do the math on the used options and see what comes out ahead...
post #13 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notskot View Post
What to pay is always a subjective and is a personal choice. Doesn't hurt to take a look, and make a fair offer for something....worse they can say is "no" and call you names! ;-)
Thank you for the feedback and other options! I'll research those and see how they compare.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 09:21 AM

View StampBear's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsp View Post
What do you mean by it's "a bit of a beast"? I am thinking that if a new Ridgid saw is $529 at HD, then I can get them down to around $300 on the used older model, which would really be the smart buy in my financial situation. I had sort of blindly assumed that $400-600 was where I needed to be in order to substantially upgrade from my (broken) craftsman. If I can get what I -need- for less...that's more $$$ for other tools that I also need.
By a bit of a beast I mean it is large, kind of a pain to but on and take off, as with all splitters it does not move with the blade and the lower the blade the larger the gap between the splitter and the blade.

personally, I don't mind and I am going to create some zero clearance inserts with fins on them closer to the blade.

I was also basing this suggestion off of the criteria you set forth in the initial post about wanting a lot of the safety features not readily available on older models (nor are the easily added in this case).

I have quickly become a fan of Ridgid and thought that the new model would serve you well.

A lot of sellers of the 3650 seem to hold firm on their price (in my experience) as you can still buy these new for around $800 online. I looked at 7 before I found a seller that would hit my price point on this saw.

~ Bear

I am here to learn.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresdarren View Post
Have you thought about a radial arm saw?
I haven't, but I see a lot of attractive prices on the. Aren't these a lot less safe than a conventional tablesaw? What about ripping long boards?
post #16 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 AM

View heresdarren's Photo Album My Photos
It is only unsafe if you do not have it tuned properly. The blade is exposed more but you just need to watch your hands. Ripping boards involves turning the blade parallel to the fence and pushing the work piece through the cut. As for long boards you would need some support on the outrip side just as you would for a table saw.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampBear View Post
A lot of sellers of the 3650 seem to hold firm on their price (in my experience) as you can still buy these new for around $800 online. I looked at 7 before I found a seller that would hit my price point on this saw.

Good to know. I did a bit of preliminary googling and people are saying the new model is, in some ways, a downgrade. Guess I need to dig into that issue some more. OTOH the riving knife sounds like a real benefit.
StampBear likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I rate these saws as:
1. Delta. (Nice fence, good looking rolling Saw stand and I'm happy with my Delta contractors saw)
2. Ridgid (nice new Saw)
3. Grizzly (I don't like open grid tops on Saw table)

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #19 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 05:57 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Don't forsake the other important features of a saw just to score a riving knife. I'd take a good fence on a good saw with a functional splitter every time over a barely functional fence, marginal saw, and a riving knife. A riving knife may be the better mouse trap, but a splitter essentially performs the same task. I like my riving knife a lot, but I've had some very effective splitters too.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Ended up picking buying a used Ridgid R4512 off Craigslist for $300. Guy was real nice and helped me get it partially disassembled and into the car. Now to wrestle it down the basement stairs...

He seemed honest and was aware of the alignment issue with this model; I think this example is free from that defect.

Thanks again for the help making the decision!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode