Help! Belt tracking on Jet JSG‑96 Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

View JimGnitecki's Photo Album My Photos
Help! Belt tracking on Jet JSG‑96 Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander

I recently bought a used Jet JSG‑96 Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander (pn 708595). I love the ergonomics and performance, except for one thing: I am having trouble with belt tracking adjustment.

I think I am following the user manual instructions properly. Nevertheless, although I can "move" the belt left or right using the adjusting wheel, I invariably go "too far" in one direction (left or right).

As soon as I see the belt starting to move too far, I try to turn the adjusting wheel slightly in the opposite direction, but there seems to be a "dead area" in the wheel movement, and I invariably end up with the belt running very close to one edge or the other, and for all I know, the belt might be running against something I just can't see from outside the machine, on either side.

The user manual cautions that the belt needs to eb run in the correct "direction" that is supposedly indicated on the inside surface of the belt, but there is no arrow or other directional guidance on the brand new belts I bought.

The belt works fantastically well - using a 320 grit belt, I can make beautiful 3/8" radius corner chamfers on a test piece of pine, in just a couple of seconds.

But, I am worried that since I cannot seem to get the belt "centered", it might be rubbing against something, and causing wear to that something, by being at either the left or right edge of the drive system.

Is there some special trick to getting this adjustment right? Is the "dead zone" (a sort of "slack freeplay area") in the adjustment wheel normal?

I need some help from someone experienced with this Jet model . . .

Jim G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I recently bought a used Jet JSG‑96 Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander (pn 708595). I love the ergonomics and performance, except for one thing: I am having trouble with belt tracking adjustment.

I think I am following the user manual instructions properly. Nevertheless, although I can "move" the belt left or right using the adjusting wheel, I invariably go "too far" in one direction (left or right).

As soon as I see the belt starting to move too far, I try to turn the adjusting wheel slightly in the opposite direction, but there seems to be a "dead area" in the wheel movement, and I invariably end up with the belt running very close to one edge or the other, and for all I know, the belt might be running against something I just can't see from outside the machine, on either side.

The user manual cautions that the belt needs to eb run in the correct "direction" that is supposedly indicated on the inside surface of the belt, but there is no arrow or other directional guidance on the brand new belts I bought.

The belt works fantastically well - using a 320 grit belt, I can make beautiful 3/8" radius corner chamfers on a test piece of pine, in just a couple of seconds.

But, I am worried that since I cannot seem to get the belt "centered", it might be rubbing against something, and causing wear to that something, by being at either the left or right edge of the drive system.

Is there some special trick to getting this adjustment right? Is the "dead zone" (a sort of "slack freeplay area") in the adjustment wheel normal?

I need some help from someone experienced with this Jet model . . .

Jim G
How is the belt tension? I tension first, then track, and tracking is a little tricky on all belt sanders. You sneak up on the center, or at least I do, not go past and try to come back.

If it's a used machine you might also check the condition of the rollers, and bearings. A bad bearing will create tracking issues.

On a 6" belt sander, the only real danger, and issue you can have with tracking is hitting the casting if you go too far "in". The belt will give way pretty quickly as it hits the casting, although I have seen a few machines with a pretty good groove in the casting as well.

Last edited by shoot summ; 05-16-2016 at 03:55 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
How is the belt tension? I tension first, then track, and tracking is a little tricky on all belt sanders. You sneak up on the center, or at least I do, not go past and try to come back.

If it's a used machine you might also check the condition of the rollers, and bearings. A bad bearing will create tracking issues.

On a 6" belt sander, the only real danger, and issue you can have with tracking is hitting the casting if you go too far "in". The belt will give way pretty quickly as it hits the casting, although I have seen a few machines with a pretty good groove in the casting as well.
I did not see any reference to adjusting tension in the user manual. There is only a lever that either applies the tension or releases it. The tension does seem a little low to me. I'll have another look at the manual, and then the machine, to see if there is any "adjustment" capability on the tension.

Jim G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

I doublechecked the entire user manual. There is no "adjustment" capability to the belt tension.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram, it appears that the tension lever (part no. 41) simply applies or releases spring tension to the upper belt roller via a spring loaded rod. It is not adjustable. It's "on' or "off".

The tracking adjustment wheel (part no. 33) simply moves the right end of the upper belt roller axle up or down using a spring loaded rod.

About the only thing I can do is try to lightly lubricate the tension on/off system and the belt tracking adjustment wheel system, and see if that makes any difference.

If not, I guess I am just going to have to accept that the belt runs right alongside either the left or right edge of its rollers.

Jim G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 8.12.23 AM.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	238698  

Attached Images

post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
it doesn't make sense that the belt would travel far right or left, and not be tuneable to center. check for play or slop in the adjustment, or rollers.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
This is a classic "Band-Aid" fix...and is a last resort,or as field expedience.

Wrap several layers of electricians tape around the center of the idler wheel.We frequently turn a "crown" on them(metal lathe),but will admit to taping a few,haha.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-17-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith View Post
This is a classic "Band-Aid" fix...and is a last resort,or as field expedience.

Wrap several layers of electricians tape around the center of the idler wheel.We frequently turn a "crown" on them(metal lathe),but will admit to taping a few,haha.
I guess I can see how that would help!

Jim G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode