Help Before Buying old Delta Band Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Help Before Buying old Delta Band Saw

Ran upon an old 14" Delta band saw at a cabinet shop the other day, just saw it setting in a corner, didn't check it out, just saw it. Finally talked to the owner who said it was his dad's and he was going to get rid of it. Wants $100 for it, but said the piece that holds the table on it is broken. Is that the trunion support or is it another piece? Either way, will it be hard to find a replacement and will it be cost prohibitive to get it and restore it by having to buy this part besides bearings, tires, blade, etc.? Also, where should I look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The trunions are very weak on some Delta saws. I know, I broke mine twice. You cannot grab the Saw by the table to move it even if it's on rollers. The trunions are made of pot metal. I was able to order replacements from Delta without a problem. Installation of the new trunions is not hard. While the table is off you can adjust the blade alignment.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Very likely you won't find a replacement for a Delta part. If you don't have the means or don't know someone that can weld I think I would pass on the saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Buy the saw. Parts are easily available. If not new, used. Think about how many of these saw's Delta made in the last 90 years our so!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Good advice from previous posts, but do see the saw in action BEFORE you decide. Cost wise even with some investment for parts/accessories to up-grade what is needed, it is still reasonably priced. Be safe.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-28-2017, 03:23 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Googling Delta band saw trunion brought up a bunch of hits even Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HEJKZ0...l_5isqhmd1py_e

Looks identical to the ones on my AMT 14" Delta clone from the 80's too.

Dave in CT, USA
post #7 of 12 Old 07-06-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok, went and had a look at the band saw today. All there except it needs the trunions and trunion support along with the water faucet looking adjusters. Where would be the best place to find these? Thanks.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangorockfish View Post
Ok, went and had a look at the band saw today. All there except it needs the trunions and trunion support along with the water faucet looking adjusters. Where would be the best place to find these? Thanks.
Start your search with Delta. They may have the parts on hand. Genuine replacement parts. When you get the new parts, look them over to see how strong you think it is. If it's made from the thin weak metal my saw has, you will need to treat it very carefully.
As I said above, don't move the Saw by grabbing the table. And it's hard not to.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm gonna pass on it. The trunion support plus the trunions are going to jack the price up so much that I think I can find one that is in better condition for less than what I would have in this one.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-06-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I may have spoken too hastily. So far, I have found most of the replacements for the broken parts for about $100 plus the $100 for the saw. This doesn't include new bearings, new tires and new blade which will be probably another $100. So, is this too much to wrap up in an old Delta Milwaukee 14" band saw? Thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangorockfish View Post
I may have spoken too hastily. So far, I have found most of the replacements for the broken parts for about $100 plus the $100 for the saw. This doesn't include new bearings, new tires and new blade which will be probably another $100. So, is this too much to wrap up in an old Delta Milwaukee 14" band saw? Thanks

IMO the older Delta BS were stronger made machines. The newer saws made after 2000 seem to be made more cheaply. Again that's only my opinion. If you have a model #, Delta customer service can tell you when the machine was made.
You may not need any bearings or tires. If you do need tires, order them from Delta when you buy the other new parts. Everything can go in one box for one freight charge.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 AM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Delta Milwaukee bandsaw, made in the late 1940's. I got it for $200, added new tires and bearings, and got a Kreg bandsaw fence to put on it, as it didn't have a fence. It cuts awesome. For me, it was a bargain for the money. Some scrubbing, paint, and tlc and it's been good to go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode