Having trouble adjusting powermatic 54HH jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maylar

post #1 of 10 Old 12-23-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

View bgreifinger's Photo Album My Photos
Having trouble adjusting powermatic 54HH jointer

Hi everyone,
I am trying to get my jointer working properly, but no matter what i do i still have boards banging into the outfeed table. Can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.

I adjusted the outfeed so the spiral blade at center just touches the straight edge. That didn't work so i tried adjusting the infeed table but that seems confusing. I loosened the gib screw in the back, and the wheel in the front and am able to set it on 0. Then i tightened up the wheel and i can adjust the table to various settings but once i set the infeed to cut at the smallest setting the wood hits the outfeed table.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-23-2017, 05:25 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
I've never used a helical head machine, but the symptom you describe is a classic case of the outfeed table being above or even with the cutters (knives). You want the arc of the cutters to be a few thousandths of an inch above the outfeed table.
Catpower likes this.

Dave in CT, USA
post #3 of 10 Old 12-23-2017, 06:33 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
What Maylar said plus make sure the tables are coplanetar or flat all the way across (long ways) both tables. You will need a reliable straight edge as long as the bed if not you will have to adjust them so they are perfectly flat the length of the bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Before doing anything else I could keep lowering the outfeed table to where the board doesn't hit it. Then if it's not jointing the wood straight start checking other things. I've never run a jointer that wasn't coplanar so I find it difficult to believe one needs adjustment.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
No one told me to do this until after I had used a jointer for 40 years. Itís the best tip. Use a dial indicator to get a jointer adjusted right on the money.
Itís absolutely the best way. Very precision.
If you donít have a dial indicator you might be able to rent one.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

How would i position the dial indicator? I can't imagine how to position it.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I don't think its a problem not being coplanar.....i have a 50 inch straight edge that is flat everywhere. But i didn't think about trying to adjust it so it cuts. My concern there would be if it will only cut at 1/32 or 2/32 settings. I'm wonderinf if theres more of a problem than meets the eye with this. But i'll give it a try. Thanks for the reply.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 08:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The dial indicator is just a tool that helps you install the knives in the head more accurately. When you install knives it's important to install them level with the rear table. It is possible to get the knives perfectly level on one side of the table and have it off on the other side. In this situation you could have the fence on one side of the jointer and it would work perfect. Then if you move the fence to the other side of the table have the wood hit the rear table like you are experiencing now. Then some jointers don't have an adjustable rear table. This is especially more important to get the knives set level with the rear table. On yours, it's just important that it be the same all the way across the table and all of the knives set equally. If they are not exactly level with the rear table you can adjust the rear table so that it is. This is the only reason the rear table is adjustable. It's used at the time of installing the knives and not touched again until the knives are changed again. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/o...iABEgKZ8_D_BwE

Myself, I have never used a dial indicator. I've always laid a steel rule on the rear table and adjusted the knives to where they barely touch the ruler when rotating the head.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 10:50 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreifinger View Post
Thanks for the reply,

How would i position the dial indicator? I can't imagine how to position it.
You'd need a magnetic base to hold the dial indicator perpendicular to the outfeed table, and a flat disc "tip" on the gauge. Zero the indicator to the table and adjust the knives and/or outfeed table such that the apex of the cutter head arc is 3-5 thousandths above the outfeed table.

Dave in CT, USA
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 12:33 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
He doesnít have knives. He has a spiral cutterhead. No adjustment available there. Might check to see if the cutterhead & outfeed table are coplanar across the length of the cutterhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode