Had an agument - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 19Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Had an agument

With my Unisaw Sunday, I was cutting stickers for an live edge walnut trunk I recently picked up. As I was cutting I was thinking this is how accidents happen, close cutting and the repetition, about two passes later, I screwed up and my push stick hit the back side of the blade, and WHAM, the saw tried to shove the push stick down my arm

Spent about 1 1/2 hours in the ER watching a doctor try to sew up a 1 1/2X 3/4 hole filled with human hamburger, he did as good as he could so now I will be lefty for a while

Been working with wood for about 50 years, this is the first time I had a major eff up, have had the normal chisel dings ETC but nothing requiring a trip to the doctor

Y'all stay safe, I will be too, and thank God I still have all my digits hooked up where they were. I was thinking on the way to the hospital about a Sawstop, but it wouldn't have stopped this stupid move
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 04:55 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear that. What I prefer to do with narrow rips is to make half the cut, flip the board over and cut it the rest of the way. This eliminates getting close to the blade and eliminates the need for a push stick.
Catpower likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 05:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Get well soon, my friend!

I can't quite picture this.
It sounds like a kickback turned into a flesh cutting injury. You and I have about the same number of years in front of a table saw, so I hate when this happens to an experienced woodworker... or anyone for that matter. :frown2:

Narrow strips can be the nemesis of woodworkers, and Steves' method is one I've often. Other times I just run the push stick right through the blade. That must be what you did? Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Catpower likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
First, I am glad your are, for the most part, intact.

Second, it is easy for us to offer a better way to do it after the fact. So, I won't.

The repetition can clearly have an effect. Maybe we get a little sloppy. A little less concentration on each piece. I will ask however if any tool would have helped? Some kind of splitter? A riving knife? A Microjig Gripper? Just asking the "if you had it to do over again" question.

Take care of yourself. While it is easy to want to get right back on the horse, a day/two/or few with no power tools just puttering around the shop might be a well deserved and needed break.
Catpower, Brian(J), Kerrys and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

It was a stupid mistake, and what didn't help was I was wearing a paper face mask, and that helped fog up my safety glasses

Trust me I am not going to let this happen again, it was just too much pressonitis, and I screwed the pooch
post #6 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to look at one of those Grippers, the way they're made that kind of accident would be hard to do. Get better, I know that has got to hurt!
Catpower likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds funny but I think a chemical respirator is more comfortable than a paper mask, especially in summer where it brings in cool air with every breath. The exhaust is also below your chin where it doesn't fog glasses.
Catpower likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I can see how that could happen. We use a different stile of push stick here. It rides on top of the work for about 5" with a hooked end following the work as the actual pusher. The hope is it will prevent the back of the blade catch. It also helps keep the work flat to the table.
Hate to hear about accidents, can happen to anyone. PS, I like my SawStop but don't think it would have helped here.
Catpower likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear of your mishap, and agree with a previous poster about the Gripper push block.
Catpower likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Just made this for ripping thin stock yesterday..
So far so good..

For some reason the idea of fighting with a spinning saw blade has completely lost all of its sex appeal. Not to mention the loss of love of sitting in the local emergency room.. But to be honest the only reason I even bother getting sick or injured is for the good looking nurses. If it weren't for them I'd just stay perfectly healthy at all times.
Catpower likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #11 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 09:45 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I appreciate you reporting the accident. I think it helps everyone who reads the forum to be a little more safety conscious and be reminded that this can happen to anyone and it happens in an instant.
Very sorry to hear of your injury and I hope you heal fast.
Catpower likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 10:00 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Ow ... ow ... ow!

I can only get that far in my imagination ... OW !!!

I hope the healing process goes well.
Catpower likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
So sorry to hear about this!! I do hope your recovery isn't long and you become right handed again soon.

David
Catpower likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #14 of 22 Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Just made this for ripping thin stock yesterday..
So far so good..

For some reason the idea of fighting with a spinning saw blade has completely lost all of its sex appeal. Not to mention the loss of love of sitting in the local emergency room.. But to be honest the only reason I even bother getting sick or injured is for the good looking nurses. If it weren't for them I'd just stay perfectly healthy at all times.

You built what I am going to build as soon as my hand heals, I will also look into the Grippers others have mentioned

Y'all be careful, it happened so fast it was over before I knew it started LOL And looking at your hand all messed up screws up the whole day

I am just glad I didn't lose any fingers, if I would have had a riving knife it might have prevented it form happening, but I like my Unisaw, it is one of the last made in the USA, I bought it after an oncologist told me I had terminal cancer, I told my wife I was going to have a Unisaw before I died, so I bought it the same day

The best part was the test the oncologist was using was wrong 40% of the time, and I was in the 40%, been cancer free now for about 22 years

Thanks for all the support guys
woodnthings and Toolman50 like this.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Had a thought- Saw Stop would not have prevented this. Just a thought.
Hope you recover real fast and back in the shop. I got three stitches from making a salad!

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 PM
where's my table saw?

Saw Stop and kickbacks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
I can see how that could happen. We use a different stile of push stick here. It rides on top of the work for about 5" with a hooked end following the work as the actual pusher. The hope is it will prevent the back of the blade catch. It also helps keep the work flat to the table.
Hate to hear about accidents, can happen to anyone. PS, I like my SawStop but don't think it would have helped here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Had a thought- Saw Stop would not have prevented this. Just a thought.
Hope you recover real fast and back in the shop. I got three stitches from making a salad!

Right! The Saw Stop only "stops" flesh eating impacts with the blade. It would have no effect on a kickback, and that was one issue I brought up immediately upon hearing of the technology. I also felt a "false sense" of immunity might cause some careless behavior on the part of some users, students or novices possibly. Regardless, it still works for those who want to engage in contact sports with a spinning saw blade.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #17 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Seems this is the second push stick incident this forum has had this year. The first one was a plastic push stick, you didn't mention what yours was made of.

Enjoy yourself, life is short
post #18 of 22 Old 07-08-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mine was home made cut out of ash, it probably would have been better if made out of a softer wood, but it happened so fast it may have made no difference

A Sawstop might not have made a difference, but a riving knife might have, but from now on I will just be much more aware of what I am doing, and pay more attention to what I am doing instead of thinking about getting the job finished
post #19 of 22 Old 07-11-2017, 06:05 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Right! The Saw Stop only "stops" flesh eating impacts with the blade. It would have no effect on a kickback, and that was one issue I brought up immediately upon hearing of the technology. I also felt a "false sense" of immunity might cause some careless behavior on the part of some users, students or novices possibly. Regardless, it still works for those who want to engage in contact sports with a spinning saw blade.
Saw Stop technology has nothing to do with kickbacks.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-11-2017, 06:09 PM
where's my table saw?

That's exactly what I said ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Saw Stop technology has nothing to do with kickbacks.
Are you disagreeing here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode