grounding old lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
grounding old lathe

I have an old lathe (1970's vintage, Rockwell/Beaver) that was my dad's. During our last move I had to take the motor off and the lathe and motor have been sitting in my shop for going on 14 years. I have a project going now where I needed to turn a small part so I hooked it all up and got that job done this past week. However, while putting it all back together I noticed that the lathe has a two conductor power cord and neither the lathe stand, switch box, nor motor are properly grounded. I am going to replace the power cord and cord to the motor with 3 conductor #14 cord and install a paddle switch. So here's the grounding plan. The green ground wires from the two cords will be connected to the ground connection on the switch and to the switch box which is attached to the metal stand. The green ground wire to the motor will be attached to one of the screws on the cover of the motor's junction box. The power cord will have a three prong plug and all the outlets in the shop are properly grounded. There is no conductor path between the body of the lathe and the metal stand, since the lathe is attached to a particle board sheet that forms the top of the stand. In other words there is no direct metal to metal connection between the body of the lathe and the metal stand. Therefore I don't see any need to ground the lathe body itself. Am I missing anything in this plan?

I found it interesting that while I was resurrecting this old lathe and getting back into doing some turning, that there were two other similar threads on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
the 'danger' with older two wire electrical stuff is the live side leaking/shorting to the 'metal body' which the human may touch. the older the insulation, the more apt . . .

why take a chance? can't be that expensive/difficult to run a light wire from a stand bolt/screw to the same motor peckerhead screw?
post #3 of 3 Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You would be better off bonding the green wire to the motor even if you have to run a separate wire from the switch to it. If there is any short it will likely be at the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode