Grizzly/UPS Freight vent - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly/UPS Freight vent

Cautionary tale to people that are ordering from Grizzly and getting freight delivery. You need to be a squeaky wheel. Grizzly uses UPS Freight and they are a "best effort" organization. Unfortunately their best effort is pretty bad. At least it was in my case.

I got email notification of planned delivery for Friday. Tracking showed the units made it to their warehouse two days earlier (on a Weds). They are supposed to call for a delivery appointment. Friday comes with no call so I call them. No delivery but a promise that I would get a call to schedule on Monday morning by no later than 8AM. Worse, the person on the phone said that I should have called them to schedule. My bad, I believed they would call me. 8AM Monday and no call so I call them. They promised a call soon. Finally, I get the call. Delivery not possible on Monday but an appointment for 2-6PM Tuesday is possible. Funny, worse than the cable company's "window". (Odd, I thought appointment general signifies a fairly specific time, certainly narrower than a half day). One day on the road from Grizzly, 6 days in the UPS warehouse.

Had I known that delivery would be so slow, I would have rented a lift gate truck and driven to Bellingham (87 miles) for cheaper and would have had it set up and making dust by now. My whole reason for choosing delivery was to avoid having to deal with 500 lb boxes. Like how slow could delivery be?

All I got from everyone was "sorry" and "we don't know why you didn't get an earlier call".

So, I learned some lessons here. First, don't trust UPS Freight with any kind of timely delivery. Second, if you have to use them (might not be any choice), be a squeaky wheel from the get go. I'm pretty sure if I had called them early Thursday morning, I could have gotten it Friday (they set up their delivery schedules on the morning of the day before). Thirdly, if at all possible, go get it yourself. Even if it means renting a lift gate truck and/or a palette jack. It certainly would have been cheaper. I'm sure a lot of you guys know this stuff (hey everyone knows those guys suck!) but newbies might be able to avoid this level of aggravation. By the way, I've had a number of freight deliveries of heavy items to my house and never this level of bad service. But then again, I've never used UPS Freight.

Still, it is incredibly irritating having to know the inner workings of a service organization in order to get a reasonable level of service.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilBa For This Useful Post:
sawdust703 (10-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
DRTYBYRD

View abetrman's Photo Album My Photos
Philba -

Just wondering, do you think this is a UPS issue or Grizzly? I have never ordered any large items from Grizzly, but I have received large items from UPS before.
I ordered some home gym equipment but I am not sure if it was shipped as freight. It arrived on schedule and they delivered it to the front door of my apartment which was difficult because you had to walk though the entire complex to get to me.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 02:42 PM

View Flaggfreak's Photo Album My Photos
I ordered a band saw from Grizzly about 3 years ago. I never had to set up an appointment. They called the day before delivery. My son received it because I was at work so when I did get a chance to unpack it I noticed it had a big dent in the door looked as though it was stabbed by a forklift. I called Grizzly and they sent me a new door right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
You got plain old bad service.

I ordered a G1023RLX table saw from Grizzly last January and delivery with UPS Freight went smooth. I did have a delivery delay due to a snowstorm blowing into NC (go figure that one) but they rescheduled and delivered pretty quick. So I know the frustration of your new tool sitting in a local warehouse. I would vent some frustration on Grizzly for you are their customer if you have not already. I hope you are up and running now.

Red

Red
post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks. still don't have it so the story isn't over. Grizzly was sympathetic but basically said there's nothing they can do.

I know in the old days before package delivery was competitive, you had to work the system when it came heavy stuff. Stupid me assuming people cared abut giving good service.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 07:50 PM

View herrwood's Photo Album My Photos
I got a band saw from griz about 6 months ago came by ups on time. Driver brought it right to my shop. A good transaction at least for me
post #7 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM

View fire65's Photo Album My Photos
I have 8 tons of Grizzly in my shop. NEVER a problem. Did you put all your shipping in the Grizzly order as required?
Seems like you did not do your part to be prepared for a big dilivererly.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 AM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
I ordered a new cabinet saw and joiner from grizzly last year. It arrived in two days. Driver called me when he was a half hour out as well....right on time. I live on a dirt road so he kept the truck on the main road and I met him out there. I unloaded it with my tractor with forks and we bs'd a while about bow hunting. Very smooth transaction I thought.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
I have 8 tons of Grizzly in my shop. NEVER a problem. Did you put all your shipping in the Grizzly order as required?
Seems like you did not do your part to be prepared for a big dilivererly.
Now why would you assume I screwed up? Like I said earlier, I have had a number of heavy freight items delivered to my house with no problems. Yes, I put the correct address in the order. Yes, I gave them my correct phone number. Yes, I did everything exactly correctly.

This is bad service, pure and simple. The UPS Freight people simply decided not to deliver it when they said they would. Supposedly it comes today - my appointment is for 1PM to 6PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Keep in mind that they deliver millions of packages a week with no problems....this doesn't sound like a common practice.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #11 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Note that this was UPS Freight, different from UPS from which I have had nothing but good service.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 04:10 PM
red
Papa Red

I hope you get your delivery today. Sounds like UPS Freight dropped the ball big time on you. Post a follow up when you do get your delivery. Good luck.

Red

Red
post #13 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Reads like one of the one time slip ups that happen to everyone sooner or later.

George
post #14 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quick update. Delivery happened. When the guy got here, he wanted to put it in my pickup truck because "he's not supposed to go on people's driveways". I convinced him to drive in (it's a wide driveway with plenty of room to maneuver and his truck wasn't that big) and he easily placed the pallet right inside my shop. easy as pie.

The "put it in your pickup truck" thing left me with a further bad taste. I'm pretty sure it's probably just the Seattle branch of UPS Freight that's a problem. I'll buy from Giz again but will do my own hauling from here on out.

It could well have been a one time slip up but they didn't go out of their way to make good. If they had, it would have been delivered on Monday.

Last edited by PhilBa; 10-07-2014 at 06:50 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
It comes from delivery trucks driving on driveways only to drip some fluids or crack some concrete and then be on the hook for the cost to replace the driveway. Glad it all worked out in the end.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #16 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 AM
red
Papa Red

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Red

Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode