Woodworking Talk banner

Grizzly TS

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  BassBlaster 
#1 ·
Out with the old...

And in with the new...

My new Grizzly G0715P finally came today. It was delivered this morning. I waited in aggany all day for my buddies to finally get here and help get it to the basement. I spent a couple hours assembling it. I still have some minor tweaking to do with the blade alignment but I'll get to that tomorrow. I did run a piece of scrap 3/4" cherry through just because I couldnt resist and this thing is insanely powerful compared to what I'm getting rid of. Ripped that board and never missed a beat. I'm used to the saw bogging down any time you shove anything into it. I'm also very impressed with how quite this thing is. I would guess less than half the noise of that Craftsman portable. I'm way excited to get it completely setup and to start doing projects with it. I'll post a full review in the review section once I've spent some time with her!!

Thanks to everyone for answering all my TS questions the last couple months and special thanks to knottscott and woodnthings. You guys have been a huge help in my research and decision making. I think I'm going to be very happy with this machine and it should last practically a lifetime with the projects I do. Thanks again guys!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm missing the lock knob on the bevel crank wheel so I emailed Grizzly. Based on everything I have heard about Grizzly, I expect the part will be in the mail tomorrow. Looks like I'll be able to include a little something about thier customer service in my review!!

#6 ·
Great lookin' saw

When I read your post I remebered the first time I fired up my new 5 HP 12" Powermatic 68. Being an "experienced" woodworker, I didn't bother with the splitter/guard and took a piece of knotty pine from a crate and started my rip. KABOOM :eek: That thing exploded into more pieces than I knew. I still don't really know what happened, but I suspect a pinched blade led to a kickback. It was a chilling experience to say the least. I am a firm believer in splitters when cutting wood from trees that may have internal stresses. They also help on plywood to prevent any rotation back away from the fence, two entirely different issues.
Did you use the factory supplied blade?
Are you planning on a different blade?
I really like the Freud Diablo 1080 40 tooth at $30.00
Home Depot. :yes:
Use the safety equipment especially the splitter.:thumbsup: bill

#7 ·
Bill, I know its difficult to see in that pic (my camera takes horrible pics in the basement) but the riving knife is in place and was in place when I ran that piece of cherry through there. It has a single quick release pin that allows you to switch back and forth between the riving knife and splitter/gaurd with ease so I dont ever see me operating it without one of those safety devices in place except obviously with dados.

I have allready switched the blade to the Diablo 40 tooth. I also put a Forrest 5" blade stabilizer on it allthough I dont know if it was neccissary. Guess I'll have to see how often I have to remove it to gain depth before I decide if I wanna keep it or not.

5HP??:eek: This one is just a little 2 horse but its about 2 more horses than that Craftsman had!!

#17 ·
The differnce between that Craftsman portable and this Grizzly is just, WOW. I cant even begin to describe the difference. I am so glad to have a quality piece of equipment in my shop.

I cant wait for the weekend so I can start some projects with it. First up, a nice crosscut sled and maybe a few jigs. I need a spline jig and maybe a box joint jig!!

#20 ·
I'm glad this post was revived. Bassblaster, I've read several reviews of this saw over at Lumberjocks (forgive my infidelity) and several users there seem to report a problem with blade alignment as the blade goes up and down. It misaligns itself somehow on height if I am reading the complaints correctly. Have you experienced anything like that?

#21 ·
Nope cant say that Ive had any problem like that. It was a pain to initialliy line it up when I got it. It was only .006 out from the factory and I decided to get it closer. I got it all out of wack and couldnt get it back. I just kept tweaking and tweaking and finally got it to .002 and thats where it's at today. Hasnt moved a bit. Ive read numerous reports of problems with the fence and I havnt had any of those problems either. Only problem was a missing knob. Called grizzly and it was on back order then a week after they said I would get it I got a postcard in the mail that basically said they didnt know when it would be in. I called and complained and there was one in my mailbox 3 days later. I'm very happy with it at this point and pretty happy with Grizzly customer service as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.