Grizzly PowerTools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

View Kenika59's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenika59 Send a message via Skype™ to Kenika59
Grizzly PowerTools

I am new to woodworking & would like to start a small shop.
I've been looking at Jet, Powermatic & Grizzly for a Jointer, Planer, Band Saw, Lathe & Drum Sander.
It appears IMO that I get much more for the money going with Grizzly.
It will cost a lot more for the same equipment (matching size, HP, blades etc) for Jet or Powermatic.
Why are the prices so much higher for Jet & Powermatic?
What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 06:39 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
my belief - Grizzly import and sell directly to the public; the other brands are imported (maybe from the same factories in China!) but then sold through dealer & distributor channels. Everyone in the chain of delivery has to make a profit.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to generalize about all Grizzly tools, but depending on which machines you compare, there are some legitimate cost savings by going with Grizzly if you're comfortable being your own middle man if there's an issue. Dealers often intervene on your behalf for that service, but charge a premium for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
From what I hear, Grizzly will ship directly to you, instead of the middle man that gets a cut of the loot as well. You're paying for the tool when you buy Grizzly. Powermatic and Jet you are paying the middle man's salary, and the tool. I'm a big fan of Grizzly tools and I think you get more for your dollar than at any other company. Notice that Powermatic only sells to distributors, not a private home shop.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM
A_shop_and_a_Vette

View xphnmn's Photo Album My Photos
You're also paying for the name on the box with Jet and Powermatic although in all honesty, their quality standards MIGHT be a little higher than Grizzly's. Especially Powermatic even though Jet and Powermatic are both products of the same company.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly offers what appears to be three lines of tools. I'm guessing but there are two factories in Taiwan and one in China. (This is from reading manuals, purchasing equipment and reading between the lines.)

The "Polar Bear" series seem to be made in a Taiwan ISO 9001 factory. I have a G0514X2 band saw from this factory. I don't know how else to put it but a school I have access to three superb but old Olivers and a Laguna band saws. The machines at school are maintained by a very good full time tech. I would rather go home, change the blade on my band saw to do the work. The Grizzly is that good.

I don't think that I have personal experience with the other Taiwan factory.

Equipment from the factory in China builds at a quality level better than Harbor Freight. How much better? That is very difficult to say. Definitely better but no where near the ISO stuff. But, then again the ISO stuff is probably better than anything else out there. (If not it is very close to being the top ranking machine.)

I think that the key to buying from Grizzly is to insure that your machine is made in the ISO 9001 factory or is in the "Polar Bear" line.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
On a general note........one of the jobs that came through here in the last cpl weeks was a "quickie" repair on a mid size metal turning lathe.Guy got it on the mega cheap.

One of the "issues" was a broken casting(shoe bx size)......gray cast iron,mid 1960's?Don't need to get into all the particulars about the process's involved with the repair.But will say theres a HUGE difference in the quality of cast iron in general.Which helps to explain why theres alot of disparity when welding repairs are needed for technical AND practical reasons.It goes back to...."you get what you pay for".

So when comparing prices on equip,all cast iron isn't created equal.If you brought me a sample of say,H.F.....Grizz....and Powermatic and we did a blind taste test,errr welding sample,the Powermatic would be noticably easier to deal with at the tig bench.And these pale in comparison to mid -century US castings.

Sure you can question what this has to do with a tool purchase.....and to that,would respond....."think about it".BW

PS,Grizz gets high marks because they offer different levels of "quality"....you know,choices.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode