Grizzly jointer G0813 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By sweensdv
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JRboostGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 113
View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly jointer G0813

Hey guys how you doing?long weekend and lots of rain..
I have a question with a grizzly 6” jointer I put it together works great.iam a little nervous using it.i think that comes with anything that has power and you show respect to the machine believe me I do respect power tools..I wanted to know after the build do I have have to do anything specific to the machine besides building it...I turned it and run a piece of scrap on it and it works great first time using one and I was a little scared...
Any thoughts on what steps to take on a jointer for a newbie..
Builtinwestchester
FreddyGrizzly jointer G0813-57936577046__6db24f46-46c4-48a3-81ac-436c2378f098.jpgGrizzly jointer G0813-57936711125__e2013dc6-0736-4851-bb56-ecde5c385697.jpgGrizzly jointer G0813-57937883584__680fb8d3-2e55-455b-8b1e-8be65d4cfdcc.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRboostGSR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Moderator
 
Steve Neul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,377
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Where is the guard? If you have been using the jointer without it I can understand being nervous. Anyway it's very good to be a little nervous around machinery. It's those that get overly comfortable around equipment that are prone to get hurt.

The experience I've had with jointers, the only thing that looks dangerous is the orange push blocks. After you use them for a while they get dusty and dirty and tend to slip. I got some with the first jointer I bought and the first time they slipped they went in the trash.
JRboostGSR likes this.
Steve Neul is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (05-14-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JRboostGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 113
View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Where is the guard? If you have been using the jointer without it I can understand being nervous. Anyway it's very good to be a little nervous around machinery. It's those that get overly comfortable around equipment that are prone to get hurt.

The experience I've had with jointers, the only thing that looks dangerous is the orange push blocks. After you use them for a while they get dusty and dirty and tend to slip. I got some with the first jointer I bought and the first time they slipped they went in the trash.


Thanks very appreciated I do have the guard I removed it to finish removing the nasty grease that comes when shipped very hard to remove but I got it done..I show pics later on when completed this way it’s in it location where it will live until I get my new shop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRboostGSR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,804
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There are many sites and videos online regarding the safe use of a jointer, spend a while on them to learn both safety habits and also the technic of feeding material through the machine. Many problems with the finished result on a cut can be attributed to operator error.

Agree with Steve, ditch the orange pads and make yourself some better ones.
JRboostGSR likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
FrankC is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (05-14-2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JRboostGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 113
View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
There are many sites and videos online regarding the safe use of a jointer, spend a while on them to learn both safety habits and also the technic of feeding material through the machine. Many problems with the finished result on a cut can be attributed to operator error.



Agree with Steve, ditch the orange pads and make yourself some better ones.


Iam going to make me some new pads this weekend thank you very much and I will check out videos also...in a couple of week I should be making saw dust/shavings


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRboostGSR is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 04:16 PM
RAM Man
 
sweensdv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 710
View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
You have obviously read and understood the assembly instructions from the Owners Manual. Now, if you haven't already, read the operating instructions portion of the manual. You will learn much from them.
JRboostGSR likes this.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
sweensdv is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to sweensdv For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (05-14-2019)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JRboostGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 113
View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweensdv View Post
You have obviously read and understood the assembly instructions from the Owners Manual. Now, if you haven't already, read the operating instructions portion of the manual. You will learn much from them.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRboostGSR is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JRboostGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 113
View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Where is the guard? If you have been using the jointer without it I can understand being nervous. Anyway it's very good to be a little nervous around machinery. It's those that get overly comfortable around equipment that are prone to get hurt.

The experience I've had with jointers, the only thing that looks dangerous is the orange push blocks. After you use them for a while they get dusty and dirty and tend to slip. I got some with the first jointer I bought and the first time they slipped they went in the trash.


Hey Steve Freddy here what’s the longest board I can pass through the jointer.I read the entire book but didn’t see anything only thing I read about anything bigger then 12inches.
I was wondering can I joint one edge on a 8ft 2x12 cut other side on table saw then pass through planer!!il
Is that about right.?
Thank you Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRboostGSR is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Moderator
 
Steve Neul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,377
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRboostGSR View Post
Hey Steve Freddy here what’s the longest board I can pass through the jointer.I read the entire book but didn’t see anything only thing I read about anything bigger then 12inches.
I was wondering can I joint one edge on a 8ft 2x12 cut other side on table saw then pass through planer!!il
Is that about right.?
Thank you Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only problem jointing long wood is there is so much leverage from the wood hanging off the end of the jointer it's difficult to hold it down so that it runs true. If you had someone hold the wood up or better make a catch table behind the jointer you could joint wood 16' long. A catch table is better because a helper would have difficulty telling if they are lifting enough or too much.

You could joint both edges of 8' 2x12's and skip the table saw. I have a 4x8 work bench in my shop that I made from gluing up 2x12 yellow pine.
Steve Neul is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grizzly G0821 - 6" Benchtop Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead mjadams61 Power Tools & Machinery 0 12-18-2018 05:48 PM
What 8" Grizzly jointer should I buy? zrodimel Power Tools & Machinery 11 12-09-2018 10:26 PM
My Jointer Discussion - PC 6" - PC160JT new2woodwrk Power Tools & Machinery 0 01-18-2018 02:18 PM
For Sale: Grizzly 6x47 jointer. hwebb99 Classifieds 5 01-27-2017 02:50 PM
Jointer - Grizzly G0452 vs. Ridgid JP0610 Joseph Johnson Power Tools & Machinery 2 07-25-2016 05:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome