Grizzly Jointer Comparison - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

View tseitz11's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly Jointer Comparison

I am looking to purchase a jointer. With the money I have available to spend I am looking at two different Grizzly jointers. First is the G0452Z which is 6" x 46" with a spiral cutter head and second is the G0604X which is 6" x 55 1/2" Parallelogram. Both fit with in my budget. My question is which would be more important to you, having the one with the spiral cutting head or the one with the parallelogram tables but standard knives?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM

View tgentile's Photo Album My Photos
If your budget allows, I'd consider an 8" jointer.
The Following User Says Thank You to tgentile For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (02-11-2013)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
I think you will find having 8" of jointing capacity more important than either of those options. I had the 6" parallelogram and loved it. When I had a chance to upgrade to the 8" version I jumped at it. Spiral cutter head is a great upgrade but I think it's a bit lost on a 6" jointer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I guess I should have asked this a little differently. No matter which size you go with and you could only have one of the two features, would you go with the spiral head or the parallelogram tables?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Trytore Member

I've gotten great results with the four knife cutterhead. However, if you are working with highly figured woods the spiral head would be a better choice. Another consideration, you can add a spiral head to the parallelogram jointer later, but not the reverse.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseitz11
Ok, I guess I should have asked this a little differently. No matter which size you go with and you could only have one of the two features, would you go with the spiral head or the parallelogram tables?
About 6 months ago, I faced this exact same question. Since I live near a Grizzly store, I spent more than a few days at the store doing "research" as well as lots of drooling. I had the opportunity to ask several knowledgable employees and customers which unit they would go with and only 1 employee didn't recommend the Parallelogram unit over the spiral cutter head. The general consensus was as follows:

- can upgrade to spiral cutter head down road if determined its important or at a point if repairs need made
- the Parallelogram setup has been part of larger jointers for a long time for a reason. Much more durable and holds true better.
- the 4 cutterheads do a great job and are easy to maintain and replace as needed.

Since I'm near a Grizzly store I am able to check out their outlet clearance area frequently. When I purchased my planer they had both units in it due to both being damaged (minor scratches to paint) so they didn't pass inspection. Due to this, both units were 25% off. Once I got it home, I went through the unit (it was assembled) and verified that it was true and properly assembled. After using my G0604X 6" Parallelogram Jointer on a half dozen occasions, I will say that I love it. I've used it on mainly black walnut, red oak, and white oak and it has worked flawlessly.

Mark

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Trytore Member

You could also get a planer with spiral cutter head and use that for final passes on both sides.

In case you are interested, here are the 6" and 8" in my shop just after buying the 8 and before selling the 6. Both awesome jointers.

Grizzly Jointer Comparison-img_0910.jpg
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Given the two you presented I would go with the parallelogram with the longer bed. I don't think setting the standard knives on a 6 inch jointer will be much of an issue.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM

View Gone Wood'n's Photo Album My Photos
I'd always go with the parallelogram jointer beds for the most precise joint you can make for any wood you're using to glue up or make square. Trust me I've been conjuring over the same thing you got going on here. I personally am on a tight budget but will be buying the parallelogram bed as I'm not quite ready to fully get involved in the figured woods just yet. plus I can always get the spiral cutter head later on. Also look at it this way too. You'll be able to get more money back out of resale of your parallelogram jointer being the true better unit than the other when you move up to the 8" or bigger.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM

View Gone Wood'n's Photo Album My Photos
one thing I dislike is that every single jointer that I've seen anymore has longer in feed tables than out feed. Manufactures should have this the other way around I think. I don't want to have to deal with extension tables on my out feed side and with my arm reach I can handle a long board just fine threw a table saw so i know I could threw a jointer. Out feed tables should always be longer than in feed, that's where you get the best support to make all your boards straight and flat. I wish I could find a real machine that had an out feed table that was 1 1/2 times the length of the in feed. If there were jointers out there like such I'm sure they'd be thousands of dollars at the very least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode