Grizzly jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
pidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
View pidge's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly jointer

So I know there are lots of threads on grizzly products and how "you get what you pay for", but I'm just curious if anyone had any experience with the Grizzly G0 495x 8" jointer? I can't find too much info or reviews out there. I'm not really looking for dooms day, grizzly is terrible, don't ever consider it, types of scenarios. Just curious if anyone has experience with this particular machine. Hopefully somebody does! Thanks!
A link to the jointer.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0495X
pidge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-05-2014, 06:10 PM
more bacon?
 
Ttharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walker, Louisiana
Posts: 718
View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have that version, but I do own the 12 inch version and I am extremely happy with it. I makes perfectly flat boards. Not sure how one could work better.
Ttharp is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
pidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
View pidge's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttharp
I don't have that version, but I do own the 12 inch version and I am extremely happy with it. I makes perfectly flat boards. Not sure how one could work better.
Awesome! I was looking at the 12" and for only 75 more, it definitely seems worth it. How is the fence assembly? I haven't read anything very good about it, people say it scratches the table, etc. just curious your overall experience with that machine?
pidge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
FishFactory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Redwood NY
Posts: 298
View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
I have the six inch grizzly joiner and am very pleased. I don't a e much difference between the six and eight. I am pretty sure you will be happy with it. My father has a delta and it seems we have to tweak his quite often to get the tables adjusted properly. I think the grizzly is a superior machine.
FishFactory is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 AM
more bacon?
 
Ttharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walker, Louisiana
Posts: 718
View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge
Awesome! I was looking at the 12" and for only 75 more, it definitely seems worth it. How is the fence assembly? I haven't read anything very good about it, people say it scratches the table, etc. just curious your overall experience with that machine?
My machine works flawlessly. I have nothing but good things to say about all the grizzly tools that I own. Twice I have had issues with broken parts on delivery. They were packaged well, but the local shipping company had destroyed the crates. Customer service at grizzly was great to work with they sent the broken part out right away for one of them and on the seconded item the machine itself was damaged and need to be replaced. I had tracking info for the new machine 30 minutes after I got off the phone with them.

I don't have the machine you are talking about getting, so I can't speak specifically about it, but I can say that I will be doing Buisness with them in the future. If there are a ton of negative reviews on the machine in question I would give them some merit.

I think I have a 10% off coupon if you want it let me know.
Ttharp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ttharp For This Useful Post:
pidge (10-06-2014)
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
pidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
View pidge's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttharp
My machine works flawlessly. I have nothing but good things to say about all the grizzly tools that I own. Twice I have had issues with broken parts on delivery. They were packaged well, but the local shipping company had destroyed the crates. Customer service at grizzly was great to work with they sent the broken part out right away for one of them and on the seconded item the machine itself was damaged and need to be replaced. I had tracking info for the new machine 30 minutes after I got off the phone with them. I don't have the machine you are talking about getting, so I can't speak specifically about it, but I can say that I will be doing Buisness with them in the future. If there are a ton of negative reviews on the machine in question I would give them some merit. I think I have a 10% off coupon if you want it let me know.
The review I read were on the 12" and the only bad thing people said was about the fence assembly and how it can scratch the table. Other than that though people have nothing but good things to say. That is the primary reason I was looking at the 495x. The fence assembly seems to be a bit bulkier and better designed, but I'm not too sure of that. Thanks for the offer on the coupon!! That is very generous of you!!! I actually went ahead and order the 495x earlier today and the thing has already shipped and they say it'll be here Wednesday. Crazy! I already own the Grizzly 20" spiral cutter planer and couldn't be happier with it. People give Grizzly a bad wrap online but I have yet to have a bad experience and every company can screw something up. Even Oliver has sent me the wrong part like 3 times. I'll post some pictures and let you know how it runs when I get it!! I'm very excited. Going from a 53" bed to a 84" bed is quite exciting!!!
pidge is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
pidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
View pidge's Photo Album My Photos
Just got the jointer set up and running today. Talk about fast shipping! I ordered this baby on Monday! It is a beast! And very well made. I have run a few test boards through and it will easily joint the face of a 7" wide piece of Birdseye maple and will get a 8ft edge straighter than .0015" across the entire length! That pretty darn incredible! And the 3hp motor is quite nice as well. It runs so incredibly smooth it passed the nickel test no matter where it was on the machine, and that is through starting and stopping the machine. The digital height readout seems a little over kill but might come in handy one time. Everything is perfect on it. I have no issues what so ever with this jointer. And it is quite the improvement from my DJ-15. So excited to have this things! I have been wanting one for quite some time!
Attached Images
  
pidge is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM
red
Papa Red
 
red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver NC
Posts: 1,165
View red's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats. It's a beautiful jointer.

Red

Red
red is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grizzly Jointer Comparison tseitz11 Power Tools & Machinery 10 03-06-2013 09:56 PM
First Problem With Grizzly Jointer dodgeboy77 Power Tools & Machinery 5 12-21-2011 05:50 PM
Which Grizzly jointer?? ETBee General Woodworking Discussion 12 04-02-2011 12:45 PM
Grizzly Jointer flint Power Tools & Machinery 3 08-03-2008 11:43 PM
Grizzly 8" jointer Dvoigt Power Tools & Machinery 6 05-04-2008 07:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome