Grizzly 8" jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly 8" jointer

I was looking at a used Grizzly 8" jointer. The guy has it wired for 220, but it can be wired for 110, although he said that I would need a new switch for 110 operation. Does anyone know anything about this or where I can get a proper switch?

Thanks
Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Derek: If you can, open this document: http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/ima...ls/g0586_m.pdf

This is the online operator's manual for the Grizzly G0586 8" jointer I'm buying....Grizzly's website has online manuals for each tool they sell. On page 16 of this document, it clearly shows how to wire the machine for 240VAC or 120VAC operation. This section then sends you to page 35, which shows a color wiring diagram and instructions on how to replace the 240VAC switch. It even gives you a part number and ordering information (how convenient).

So, yes, the guy seems to know what he's saying....but remember, the amp draw will be double at 120VAC that it will be at 240VAC.

hope this helps...
regards,
smitty
post #3 of 7 Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I found the switch for about $50, and he is asking 600 for the jointer, and i would want to add a mobile base too for another $50, so that would be about $700 for an 8".

Any thought on the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
Any thought on the price?
Well, since you asked...yes, I have a thought. I think it sounds somewhat high, personally, for a used item.

I only continue to refer to Grizzly because that's what my research has pointed me to, for my uses and style. Other manufacturers may fit your style better, but for less than the price of that used rig, you could have this new one: http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/pro...terhead/G0452Z

Dad always said be careful what you do with your money, and never be afraid to spend it on the best tools you can afford. So, if you can afford this price range, perhaps it's worth looking into for you?

hope this doesn't muddy the waters for you.

regards,
smitty
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I thought it was a little high too. I was really looking for something in the $400 range. But this once is an 8" so I can maybe justify $500, but I will need to put another 100 into it right away.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
an 8" jointer is a nice size if you can only have one. The Grizzly is not a bad jointer. (had one once, and it was ok) I sort of remember it being about 1 1/2 hp, or maybe 2, and at that, at 110, I would wonder a bit. If you can get 220 out there, it would be better. Yes, the price is a bit high, probably about $100 or more than you could hope for. If you wait. But it is not crazy high, if in good shape. Is the switch on it currently a "magnetic switch", (correct name is contactor, or starter). If it is NOT such, you might not have to replace the switch. just rewire it. Only reason then to replace is if the wire / switch couldn't handle the increased amperage.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM

View bwhall's Photo Album My Photos
seem's a little high to me i bought the same jointer last year for just over 750.00 not sure if prices went up that much if i were you i;d keep looking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode