Grizzley power tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View chevyll_1967's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyll_1967
Grizzley power tools

I would like some input on Grizzley power tools, looking at purchasing a jointer and planner. Or can someone give me a web site that sells recond units that are reliable? Chevyll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Nova, (ChevyII, you know...)

Only negative I have heard about Grizzly is the shipping costs pretty much eliminate the value proposition of their products.

I am not sure which jointer / planer you are interested in, but if you are looking at a benchtop planer or a 6" jointer, you might want to take a gander at the Ridgid models. I have seen and heard very good things about both their jointer, and planer. Not all of their stuff is top shelf, but most of it is good stuff for it's class of equipment... A $550.00 contractors saw should be compared against similar, and not a $4,000.00 cabinet saw for example... They both do similar jobs, but the guy that is buying the TS3660 for example isn't in the same market space as the guy that is buying the SawStop cabinet saw...

As far as Grizz goes, they are an importer, typically of Taiwanese tools, but other sources as well. Their stuff is generally well tested before they put their name on it and bring it to market. But it is also generally speaking the same stuff just in a different color than say Shop Fox, and in some instances even shares a good number of components with Harbor Freight's cheapo stuff. If you have found Grizz stuff you like, and if you live close enough where going and picking it up makes more sense than shipping, then jump on that... Their flate rate truch freight is pretty steep...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Last edited by dbhost; 08-13-2008 at 10:25 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

View chevyll_1967's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyll_1967
thats what Igathered looking close at web site and catalog thanks chevyll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2008, 05:04 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Typically very competitive tools for a hobbyist and some commercial use. Compares well to Jet, GI, Rikon, Sunhill, some Delta, Shop Fox, Steel City, etc. Some of the smaller hand tools are not the same caliber as their machinery. Good company to deal with, great CS. Factor shipping into the equation and compare total "delivered costs" including gas and tax for local purchases. I like to buy local when I can but I have a couple of good Grizzly tools that were mailed ordered or picked up directly from their showroom....specifically a Griz G1182HW 6" jointer, and a G1029 DC.

FWIW, Shop Fox is owned by the same man, Shiraz Balolia. Many of the tools are very similar to the Griz counterparts. Shop Fox has a dealer network, dealer support, and a two year warranty. My new saw is a Shop Fox...basically a white Grizzly 1023SL...so far so good! Sometimes sale prices make SF the more attractive purchase.

Last edited by knotscott; 08-14-2008 at 06:44 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Ask our buddy smitty, in a few weeks - he just purchased several nice green Grizzly tools (check the "new workshop begins" post in the general woodworking section). I own several Grizzly tools and really like them. I am fortunate enough to live only three hours from the showroom in Springfield, MO and didn't require their shipping. You asked about a planar and joiner - well, I have both a Grizzly joiner (their smallest 6" model) and a 15" Grizzly planar. I've had the planar for about six years and the joiner for about seven years and haven't had any problems yet (oh, almost forgot about replacing the switch on the joiner, but no big deal). The tools are fine quality although, sometimes I wish I had sprung for a bigger joiner. I like'em - my two cents.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyll_1967 View Post
I would like some input on Grizzley power tools, looking at purchasing a jointer and planner. Or can someone give me a web site that sells recond units that are reliable? Chevyll
That geoguy, he's one smart Okie....

I just returned from Grizzly last Saturday, and am about 2/3's of the way through setting up my machines. I 'finished' the planer today (waiting for my electrician-brother to make it back over and solve a little wiring dilemma.) I gave the planer a test-run on 120V; it's smooth as a whistle and not very loud, compared to my Delta bench-top. The dilemma is we had planned to wire it to 240V, and that's what I have in the box dedicated to the planer. So's now I need my smart brother to come back and make it 120V, or chop the brand new end off a perfectly fine factory cord and make it a 240V plug.

sheeesh, details.

Tomorrow I'll start on the jointer, and I'll hang some pictures of both in my "new workshop begins" thread under general woodworking topics.

So far, I've been nothing but impressed with Grizzly. The storefront, the people, the prices (agree with the above comment about exhorbitent shipping rates), and the quality, fit and finish of the tools. I have yet to see how they will hold up, obviously...since I haven't started using them yet. I too drove to Springfield, like geoguy said earlier, and trailered everything home to Central Illinois. Saved about 900 clams on LTL freight, and was able to unload them myself instead of having a grouchy, impatient truck driver push everything out the back of his trailer at 42" off the ground.

regards,
smitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode