Are good table saws sold in LA CA area anymore? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Are good table saws sold in LA CA area anymore?

I would like to look at table saws for sale near me that I can through in the back of my truck and as far I can see Sears is the only place that has saws in stock. Home Depot sells Rigid on line but you have to pay for shipping. There are plenty of portable saws, but I want something better than that.

As far as online saw purchases under a 1K, Iím looking at the Grizzly G0715P and also the RIDGID R4512. Both have a $100 shipping charge and Grizzly is a lot more expensive.. There is another Grizzly G0771 thatís a $150 less without the Riving Knife which makes me wonder if I really want to pay that much for the knife although I donít know if there are any other differences.

I do like the solid cast iron side tables and I actually bought them separately on my old Craftsman Contractors saw.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
No, they decided to ban table saws in Ca. You haven't heard about table saw control?

Why don't you look for a used cabinet saw. It may be more trouble to transport but would be worth it. Woodworking machinery will usually last a person a lifetime so if you picked up one that appeared to have been taken care off I don't think you would have a problem. Some of the best machinery I have is as old as I am or older.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
No, they decided to ban table saws in Ca. You haven't heard about table saw control?
Well that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I looked on Craigslist earlier and they want too much for what they were selling although I did see some old Craftsman Contractor Saw like the one I have that were missing parts or so rusted you could barely see the saw. I might end up looking for one of those as parts for my saw.

I just watched a couple of videos on the RIDGID R4512 saw and it looks about right for my needs as long as I can raze it up a little.

There is one question I have before making up my mind on a new saw and that is the spacing of the miter slots on the table. I was wondering if there is some standard and if my sled and other jigs will fit onto say the RIDGID R4512 or even the Grizzly?

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's pretty common to have the groove 3/4" wide but I think the space between the grooves will be different on every model saw out there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
routertablezentiz (01-18-2016), Sleeper (01-17-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode