Good starter compressor for occasional use? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

View Abuela's Photo Album My Photos
Good starter compressor for occasional use?

I need/want a compressor and a couple of nailers and a stapler for very occasional DIY use. I probably won't realistically use it more than a half-dozen times a year, and if I do end up using it a lot more I'm fine to upgrade, but I'm looking for some starter stuff in the next week or two, and haven't seen much of anything come through craigslist.

What should be my minimum requirements -- size or other features of the compressor, features of the tools, etc.?

I was considering this combo kit. http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-CPACK300-3-Tool-Compressor-Combo/dp/B001E96HEE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276613947&sr=1-3
Is it a good deal, or would I be better off buying the items separately? My immediate need is for a compressor and stapler (stapling wire fence to the inside of a wood privacy fence - long story involving an escape-artist dog), so I can add the nailers as I need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The small compressors will power staplers and brad nailers just fine. All they need is a short burst of air. For other tools, check the CFM requirements of the tool. You might be happier with an oil lubed compressor.

You might save some money on getting a deal on just a pancake type, and the fastener you might need.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I just saw a Rockler ad for a PC Compressor and two nail guns at about $180. (They may be reconditioned but I can't remember.) (Brad nailer and either finish or pin guns)

All of the pancake 4 gallon couple horse power compressors are about the same. For things like filling your car tires, neighborhood bicycle tires, running a blow off gun and driving nails these compressors are adequate. PC makes a rather decent nail gun.

For less than $200 you probably can't go wrong. BTW - HD had the same set up at the same price a couple of months back.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Old as dirt

View The Engineer's Photo Album My Photos
I got the Porter Cable pancake compressor with a pin nailer for $169 a while back at Home Depot. A friend helped me build a big truss using this compressor and his Hitachi framing nailer. Had absolutely no problems. I since added a PC brad nailer to my stable and plan to get a 16ga finish nailer if they ever go on sale. This compressor is great for my use, which is ocassional. It pumps the tank up to 150 PSI instead of 100 or 115 like some of the others do. This means it doesn't have to run as often. I have noticed the hose running from the compressor head to the tank gets very hot and I expect I will have to replace it with copper some day, but it's not caused a problem so far.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Turns out that the local Black & Decker outlet had that exact same set for $199, plus I had a 10% off coupon (thanks to AARP - there are advantages to being old!), so the set came in at under $180. That works for me -- heading out now to grab the stapler and start work on that fence!
post #6 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276650944&sr=1-17

This is my favorite of all I've had for nail guns.

`
post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 PM

View splinter2's Photo Album My Photos
Good starter compressor

Didnt want to Hijack recent post so i started a new, I have a small pancake compressor, That runs my Pin Nailer fine, But i need something more when iam sanding faceframes or running other tools. I wanting a upright compressor, but really dont know much about? So iam asking the pro's, What would you buy? I dont need the top dog just something that will last a good long time....and what do you have? is it better to go with 110 or 220?

Whoops Sorry Abuela, thought i started a new Post........
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Not a problem with me - might help me learn more about larger compressors. :) But you might get more responses under a different title.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Husky 30 gal upright from Home Depot last year and like it a lot. They were running a sale at the time and I picked it up for $400 with tax. I think I saved around $80 or so dollars that way. Before the purchase I researched compressors quite a bit and discovered the following. 1) Oil lubed is quieter than oil-less. 2) While cfm is important, the tank size will determine how long you can run a tool before the compressor kicks back in. I don't have the room for a 60 or 80 gallon upright so the 30 is perfect for me. It's on wheels so I can easily move it if I need to. 3) Mine is 110. I've read that a 240 conversion kit is available for it but it is an expensive opton and not worth it in my opinion. If I had bought a larger, stationary size compressor though it would have been 240. Less amp draw, smaller wire gauge requirements, better efficiency, etc. 4) Although not Made in America completely, the tank is and I found after I picked it up that the Husky is made by Campbell Hausfield , a well known brand. That's who warranties it. 5) Warranty is important so get the one with the best warranty within your price limits. 6) When comparing the cfm's on various models, make sure it's at the same pressure. I've noticed that some manufacturers like to play with their cfm and hp rating as marketing gimmicks. Remember when Craftsman always listed their power tools with "peak horsepower" ratings? Compressor companies like to play the same game.

This is what I learned in my research. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by JohnK007; 06-19-2010 at 11:11 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 AM

View HVACJTC's Photo Album My Photos
READ THE REVIEWS IN THIS LINK IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THIS PRODUCT.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_253002-354-C...5&Ntt=bostitch kit'&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=bostitch kit'
Image x

STANLEY-BOSTITCH 3-Tool Finish and Trim Combination Air Tool Kit
post #11 of 11 Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 AM

View HVACJTC's Photo Album My Photos
READ THESE REVIEWS IF YOU ARE LOOKING INTO PORTER CABLE

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...3#BVRRWidgetID

Zoom View

Email Print
Porter-Cable 3-Nailer & Compressor Combo Kit
Model # PC3PAK Internet # 100672212

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode