Good saw junk fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

View Ratt's Photo Album My Photos
Good saw junk fence

I've got an old 10 in Craftsman TS I got great tips to get it into shape but the rails are rusty the end tables drop a little and the fence is JUNK it takes me half a day to get lined up true to the blade is there anything I can do to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 AM

View John Bell's Photo Album My Photos
Ratt,

I've got a 40 yr old Craftsman TS that had the same problem with the fence. I was about to junk the whole thing but bought a Vega fence to replace the original one. It bolted right on and only required drilling one hole. It cost a little over $150 but made all the difference in the world. It is dead on now and even has a micro adjustment, though it's not really needed. I don't remember the web site right now, but I think a Google search of aftermarket table saw accessories or Vega will get you there.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
The Delta T2 has been on sale in $129 range. That's a good fence and a great bargain. You can always replace the wings or build some from melamine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Talking Are you the same Ratt?

Aren't you looking to spend $1000 for a "new" saw...another thread... and you want to fix this old one up because?? Just asking, I know I have 5 tablesaws, so I can't complain. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

woodnthings

Yes its me I cant bring myself to get rid of the old thing its the one I started with and I can still use it for other stuff I dont want to put my new one through or I can set one to two differant settings so I dont have to keep setting the same saw over and over plus who can have to many tools. I have a large shop to fill up and not enough saws and drills to fill it. Theres only so much wood storage a man needs
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
Yes its me I cant bring myself to get rid of the old thing its the one I started with and I can still use it for other stuff I dont want to put my new one through or I can set one to two differant settings so I dont have to keep setting the same saw over and over plus who can have to many tools. I have a large shop to fill up and not enough saws and drills to fill it. Theres only so much wood storage a man needs

OH, it must be nice!!

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's the one I started on...

Man I can totally understand. I finally "retired" my Craftsman 100 TS after 50 yrs of hard labor. I gave some of the parts to kender on this forum. But, as I said above, I had "backup" in place. I would take the motor off the old 100 and heft it into the back of my truck to take it on jobs. It got to be too much with table extensions and all. I finally got the Bosch 4000, which I really like as a portable saw. Great fence, side extensions, rear extensions, good power. Then, as I was walking through Sears I saw this close out deal! $1199 for $480..."Why I needed a new tablesaw" thread posted here. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/w...able-saw-9629/
I'm using that saw right now to work on my 2000 lineal ft cedar siding job and since it's not up in the second floor shop, it's a whole lot closer, being in the garage. So good for you. Never ditch a tool until it's time, like the wine thing? bill
Just for the record, I love my Biesemeyer fences!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-28-2009 at 06:32 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

JohnnyB

Well I got lucky my family has always been very close and me and my dad has always wanted to get a place where we could build our houses on the same place we found land and we built our 3000 sf shop to keep everything in cars,nascar stuff, Tractor, and start my wood shop somthing I've always dreamed of and he got his in doors clean up shop I have been blessed to get to work with my father everyday at work and home so thats how I got shop first.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
IMHO, the Delta T2 fence is a great buy. Probably will bolt on your saw w/minimal drilling. Is excellent upgrade for any contractor saw.

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #10 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
The Delta T2 has been on sale in $129 range. That's a good fence and a great bargain. You can always replace the wings or build some from melamine.
Ok, did I miss a sale or something? Iím not having any luck finding any fence for these prices. Is this just the fence or does it include the rails?

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Sleeper,

It was on sale a couple weeks ago for that price at Lowe's. Whether it still is, I don't know. Good luck!

Bill
post #12 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
You can tune up an old saw to work very well. I'd suggest a link belt and balanced pulley for the motor, and get a vega or delta fence. I had a 50's vintage craftsman that I used for 15 years with this exact setup, except I had an incra t fence, and it was vibration free, and very accurate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode