Is this a good deal or worth buying - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

View chsdiyer's Photo Album My Photos
Is this a good deal or worth buying

I am new to wood working and only have a smaller table saw, a new router w/table, and a mitre saw. I am going to be building a vanity and kitchen cabinets in the near future so i'm thinking i could use some more tools for those projects.

I've been reading about using my router table for a jointer and getting decent results that way so maybe I dont really need a jointer (and that one seems to have lesser reviews), and then I dont "really" have a need for the scroll saw at the moment. Of course i'll be the first to admit I don't know much about what all I should have and what are good tools, so i'm wondering if this is a good package deal, or should I just invest more in getting a nicer planer for now? The delta one seems to have decent reviews but not all that great.
http://charleston.craigslist.org/tls/2815405879.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
typically i believe rule of thumb is used value on equipment is around 1/2 of the original retail. in my book, mind you I'm no expert on those specific machines but id pass or talk him down a bit.
also another thing to look at is that jointer, while is usable, alot of WW whom start with bench top models find themselves upgrading down the road to the floor models with larger in/out-feed tables to get better results. if your one of these folks you might be money ahead to get the non bench version.
also something that bares mentioning on the jointer front, beings you have a router table is that you can place a piece of Formica on your out-feed end of the table fence, set a straight cutting router bit of good quality even with that and use your router table as a jointer.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
For what you're planning, I would say forget the tools...priced too high for what they are. You can get by without the scroll saw and the sander. I would consider upgrading your table saw, and look for a decent planer and a 6" jointer or larger...if you will be dressing your own lumber.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
The table saw is the heart of most shops. I'd up grade to a good one first. For $600, you should be able to find a decent used table saw. I recently saw a Delta 3hp, 10" cabinet saw with a Biesemeyer fence on Cl for $650. The deals are out there.
Jointing on the router table, as suggested earlier, is a good way to go....for now. Plan for a full sized jointer later. IMO, bench top planers (EDIT: Should be JOINTERS) are a waste of $$. As I said, JMO!
I can't tell which Delta planer is being offered, but I've had good luck with Delta planers. I'm on my second one. the first died after 15 years.
The same scroll saw sets in my shop. It's just "OK". I'd pass on that one.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Last edited by Gene Howe; 01-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

View chsdiyer's Photo Album My Photos
Hey thanks for the feedback and saving me the money/hassle...though i'm saddened to see all the emphasis on the table saw upgrade. I just purchased the one i have not too long ago. It's the Porter Cable they sell at lowes. I'll plan on doing the jointing on my router table...it did come with some inserts to offset the outfeed fence from the infeed. I'll keep an eye out for good planers/table saws on craigslist. I keep missing out on the Dewalt planers.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I agree....none of those were attractively price IMO.

Re: jointing with a router....it's easy to "edge" joint with a router or a TS, but it's very time consuming and difficult to "face" joint (flatten) a board with a router....a point that I think is frequently overlooked. All edge jointing techniques rely on at least one flat face to reference from, otherwise without that reference face your edge will be random (not truly square to the face). Flattening a face and squaring an adjacent edge is where a jointer is unparalleled....flattening a face can also be done with a planer if you use a planer sled, but it's not as efficient as a jointer. A jointer will ensure a flat reference face and a square reference edge as a starting point for all your joints...from there everything falls in place as planned....pretty nifty concept!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode