Going to buy a small/benchtop drum sander, any suggestions? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

View maczack87's Photo Album My Photos
Going to buy a small/benchtop drum sander, any suggestions?

I'm looking into buying a drum sander with a small foot print or a benchtop model and I have a few that I am looking at. I wasn't able to find any good video reviews online so I was hoping I could get some suggestions on which one works best for you or which you would recommend. I'm looking to spend under $1,000, I would like to stay closer to the $700-$800 range. I'm trying to choose between the Jet 10-20 Plus which I like because it has the capability to sand up to a 20" wide piece of material but I was also looking at the Grizzly G0459 12" baby drum sander or the Grizzly G0716 10" drum sander cause they are cheaper options then the Jet. I also was looking at the Grizzly G0458Z 18" Open End Drum Sander which is a lot more expensive then the previous mention Grizzly models but has the ability to sand up to a 36" piece of material.

As of now I am liking the Jet 10-20 because it can sand a thinner piece of material and a shorter piece of material so I can sand smaller pieces which would suit me better because most of my projects are smaller and the machine is smaller which is better for me cause I'm working out of a 2 car garage with half the garage filled with a car. Anyways, I think I've explained what I am lookin for so if anyone has any suggestions on which model drum sander I should get please let me know, I am open to any input you have to offer and I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

"I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself." -Lone Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CLARKE-CS4-...nch+top+sander

This gets good reviews in Amazon.
johnep
post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

View maczack87's Photo Album My Photos
To be more specific I'm looking for a thickness drum sander, not a belt or disc saner. I already have the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle/Belt sander, and eventually I want to get a disc sander but that's not what I am talking about at the moment. Thanks for the response and suggestion though.

"I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself." -Lone Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 AM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
My Jet 16-32 Drum Sander

I have had the Jet 16-32 drum sander for 6 years now and I will admit it is a bit of a luxury tool. It has been very useful when finalizing the thickness for wood splines and the like and also short pieces that are too short for the planer. A couple important things to keep in mind, these things put out lots of dust so good dust collection is a must. Second, they are not capable of removing too much material in one pass as the motors will bog down or stall and damage the belt and wood. It has been useful when removing material from figures wood which can be a problem for planers.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode