Freud router? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Freud router?

How are the Freud routers? My local rockler store has a Freud router with a fixed and plunge base (model 1700 i think) for $199 (plus a set piece router bit set for free). I have a Boush combo kit with some accessories on order through Acetoolsonline for 239 shipped

(side note, don't waste you time with acetools, the customer service acts like they don't really need your business and hasn't offered me any help with my order even though they already took my money , so for what it's worth I wouldn't order from them again)

Is the Freud rotor a good buy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Suz

View Suz's Photo Album My Photos
When Lowe's had a close out on one of the models I one up for my router table and so far it has performed well. The only complaint I have is the "router lift" slips and I have to help it along when twisting the lift handle.
Otherwise I do like the one wrench tightening/loosening for bit changes.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 AM

View Charles M's Photo Album My Photos
Suz,

Your router has a 5 year warranty. You should call our Parts and Repair Department at (800) 334-4107 (option 3) for assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
I worked at an Ace Hardware that carried Freud routers, bits, saw blades etc... Nobody EVER said anything bad about their products. I have however heard some very venomous things about a couple of Bosch models. (No soft start, torque tries to take the router out of the users hands kind of thing).

They are not the most common name in power tools, but everyone I have run into that buys them, is happy with them. I have Freud blades, and if those are any indication of how their stuff is made, the router should put up with stupid user abuse quite nicely.

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I've had two Freud routers and both worked well. The first one was the 15 amp FT2000E plunge router, that's now been replaced with a nearly identical FT2200. My only complaint with that one was that the throat opening wasn't large enough to accommodate 3" bits.

The newer FT1700 is excellent in a table IMHO. It's a full compliment of above table features that allow above table bit changes, above table height adjustment, and above table height lock. It also has enough room to pass a 3-5/8" bit, along with ample power to do raised panels on occasion. I have since acquired the plunge base for it...I haven't used it alot but it seems fine for the few occasions that I'll need it.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 PM

View DesertDude's Photo Album My Photos
Angry Freud FT1700VCE Problems

I have had a Freud FT1700VCE mounted in my router table for just under two years. It received low to moderate use, building furniture. Initially, I noticed that there was more play in the spindle when I adjusted the bit height - it would tend to 'wobble' back and forth as the height changed. Over time, the adjustment got harder and harder, and finally failed completely a few days ago. I took it apart and found scoring on the housing body where the support body clamps together. Ater cleaning and lubricating the housing, it now moves again, but the adjustment no longer works correctly. I have contacted Freud warranty and it sounds like they will take care of the repair, so stay tuned.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 AM

View nubie's Photo Album My Photos
freud ft1700vce

OK. So I bought one and now I'm trying to locate an edge guide. I can't find one. I found one online from woodworkers supply that said it fits FT2000 and FT1000. IT WON'T FIT MY FT1700. The guides are too big in diameter and furthermore, my FT1700 base does not have round guide holes; they are almost hexogon in shape. Been to Freud on line, searched my brains out on the web. No Luck.

Does anyone know of another brand name edge guide that will fit my FT1700 base?

Nubie
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
I will tell you I looked for a year to find it... I looked every where!

Then one day I found it! http://freud-tools.stores.yahoo.net/frftedgu.html

Still the only place I have been able to find it.

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Any place that sells Freud tools should be able to order it for you. I recently was looking for a Freud part and was having zero luck finding it anywhere locally or on the Internet. I called Freud and they provided me with the part number, which I also had a hard time finding, and the name of a local Freud dealer. I called the Dealer and they ordered the part for me. It should be here tomorrow. It was an absolutely painless process.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
FRued edge Guides are not interchangable

The hole spacing is different from the 1700 to 2000 series.An adaptor can be easily made like so:

Source: bobj3 at www.routerforums.com bill
FYI There have been close out specials at Woodcraft, peachtree and other for the plunge base and the FT1702 router for as little as $129!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-24-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode