Freud, CMT, Forrest...... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
Freud, CMT, Forrest......

I have a few Diablo brand blades for my TS, and want to upgrade 3, maybe 4 of my blades.
I have a 24t rip blade, 50t combo, 60t finish, those are my most common use blades. Now I do have the Freud box joint dado set, and the Diablo dado set, I end up using the box joint dado for more common things like rabbits, and 1/2" or smaller dados.

Oh, saw is a ridgid r4512.

I've thought about full kerf blades, so when I upgrade to a "forever" saw I have the blades for it.

Question is..
How is CMT?, which Forrest should I go with?, should I run all 3 of those common blades Forrest?.

Material I commonly cut.
Hardwood plywood
Walnut, ash, oak, pecan, cherry, maple, hickory, cedar, mahogany

Average large cut is about 2"-2 1/2" depending on how thick of material o need to mill.

All I know is that it is time for me to upgrade my blades to "forever" blades. The 150.00 cost of a Forrest blade no longer scares my wife, she does understand that you do get what you pay for.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Woodworking Talk

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
Have you tried the Onsrud blades from ebay? IMO better than the diablo's, and they are a very reasonable price. One note i recently found out, if you email the man with multi. blades you want, he will give you a discount for quantity off his list price and set it up buy it now for you. i recently bought the top end dado set, a glue line rip, and a 50t combo and wound up with a 10% discount.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
+1 I now have four of the Onsrud blades (one is dado set) and all have cut like butter. Great quality at a great price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
My "forever" blades are Tenryu. Forrest quality at a more reasonable price.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Howe For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-26-2012)
post #5 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I use Freud blades, not their Diablo line, their regular thin kerf blades, in my table saw. I primarily use a combo blade (stays in my saw 90% of the time). I also have a thin kerf glue line rip blade I bust out when making a production run of cutting boards. Never had a problem. Usually get 2-3 resharpenings out of them too.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I have not been impressed with my Forrest blade. It's not a bad blade but the blade doesn't live up to its advanced billing.

My forever blades are Anderson (Daphne St. Downey, CA) combination 50 tooth, 10 sets of 5 teeth. A second blade is a similar configuration from a local sharpening & supplier that doesn't do mail order.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I put together a blog a couple of years ago that might have some useful info before you buy your "forever" blades.

In general, I'm not a big brand name loyalist. I prefer to buy the best tool at the best price that suits the need. Going with multiple brands increases your chances of getting the best blade for a given task at the best price....going with one brand usually ensures that you pay more to get comparable quality, unless you find a good package deal. Not to mention that not every top brand name makes the best of all types of blades. I've used some great blades from Forrest, but have also used some great blades from Ridge Carbide, Freud, Infinity, Tenryu, Amana, CMT and others. Forrest tends to cost more than others, but doesn't always give you more...in fact, it annoys me a little bit that my Forrest blades are more prone to rusting than some of the others, but that's a knitpick. I've never used a blade from Infinity that hasn't totally impressed me...from the performance, to fit and finish, and even the value, they're really excellent, so I wouldn't shell out big bucks without at least looking into the Infinity blades.

Last edited by knotscott; 01-26-2012 at 02:02 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
A lot more options for me to look at, this is good, and what I need.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Woodworking Talk

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
What ever happened to the Systematic blade? I used them a while back and loved them.

Can't make any money in wood

post #10 of 12 Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
I have to second the Onsrud faction. The blades are quite the bang for the buck mainly because they are all discontinued though so the supply is limited. My understanding is that they continue to manufacture blades for other large brand names to their specs but didn't have the brand recognition for Onsrud to sell their blades at a profitable price. Great for us though! The blades have enough carbide on them that I expect to get 4-5 sharpenings from em but have only gotten to 2 on a few so far.

In my opinion the Diablo blades are a good value too, but not 1/3 the blade the onsruds are for the price.

I have a couple of delta industrial and Freud industrial blades but they are all full kerf and I find them to be excellent blades however I tend not to use them as my current saw just doesn't have the kahonies to perform well with full kerf blades.

I've never tried Forrest or symantec but I hear great things about em. I know that's not qualitative not having use them but all the same I at least haven't heard any negative reviews.

Good luck with weeding through all the choices! BTW, I really don't think there is such a thing as "forever blades". By my standard that implies it out last the buyer's life span. It's doable with hand tool irons maybe but circular blades take so much abuse from normal use that they simply can't last that long under moderate use.

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom
post #11 of 12 Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
Firemedic, great to hear the onsrud blades will easily take 2 sharpening. As of now for the price I'm just buying new rather than getting any sharpened because the 10x50 is only a few dollars cheaper for me to sharpen than replace, though once i can no longer get new plan to start getting the ones Ive stocked up on sharpened. (did i say stocked up or hording?).

sadly last i spoke with the fella he didn't foresee anymore 10x24 rip blades coming down the pike, and apparently the dado sets are getting in low supply as well.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1976
Firemedic, great to hear the onsrud blades will easily take 2 sharpening. As of now for the price I'm just buying new rather than getting any sharpened because the 10x50 is only a few dollars cheaper for me to sharpen than replace, though once i can no longer get new plan to start getting the ones Ive stocked up on sharpened. (did i say stocked up or hording?).

sadly last i spoke with the fella he didn't foresee anymore 10x24 rip blades coming down the pike, and apparently the dado sets are getting in low supply as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1976

Yeah... I may have hoarded a couple too... As in a dozen of the 50T and an assortment of others

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode