Freebie Air Compressor No Start - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

View Lute's Photo Album My Photos
Freebie Air Compressor No Start

Friend of mine gave me a non starting Campbell Hausfeld air compressor. This is the 20 gallon 115 volt direct drive oil less.
Problem is no start, no hum, nothing.
Traced the voltage from the pressure switch to the thermal switch via the black wire. Have 120 volts on both sides of thermal switch. Black wire then goes from thermal switch to windings.
A yellow wire goes from windings to capacitor.
Cap tests good. Problem is there is no voltage on yellow wire from windings to cap.
There is no start switch that I can find on motor.
I have now reached the outer limits of my electrical diagnostic ability.
Any guidance much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the motor. Appears to be a proprietary item; $130. plus shipping. New compressor is $189.
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2016, 04:22 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a centrifugal switch on the back of the rotor that switches the cap in?

Dave in CT, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
Is there a centrifugal switch on the back of the rotor that switches the cap in?

The back looks just like the front except no wires.
No switch. Just windings and shaft.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What method did you use to test the capacitor?

George
post #6 of 11 Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
look for this switch

It's the pressure regulator switch. It tells the motor to turn on or off when the predetermined pressure is reached:

Line voltage will come into the switch and then based on the tank pressure, it will actuate the motor. Using the red knob, you can manually turn off the compressor. Make certain you have voltage out of the switch to the motor.

If you have line voltage to the motor, then it's either a bad capacitor or a faulty winding. The thermal switch is just a line break in series with the line voltage "in" leg.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 11 Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
What method did you use to test the capacitor?

George
Analog VOM. When leads are connected VOM needle pegs, then immediately drops back. Reverse leads, same thing. Rudimentary, but I don't have a DVOM with capacitance.
Shouldn't the yellow wire from the coils bring the 120v to the cap? I got nothing from the yellow wire.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-07-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

If you have line voltage to the motor, then it's either a bad capacitor or a faulty winding. The thermal switch is just a line break in series with the line voltage "in" leg.[/QUOTE]

I have 120 in to the motor from the black wire, which goes into the double spade terminal looking thermal switch. Both sides of the switch have 120.
But nothing out on the yellow wire.

There is no centrifugal switch or starter switch on either side.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Odds are on a pump like that the pump siezed and the motor fried itself trying to spin it. Give it a sniff, does it smell like burnt plastic? If it does, its not worth the time and money it'd take to fix.

Then again, being an oilless pump its already not worth fixing... Keep the tank and keep your eye out for a old oiled pump

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #10 of 11 Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Odds are on a pump like that the pump siezed and the motor fried itself trying to spin it. Give it a sniff, does it smell like burnt plastic? If it does, its not worth the time and money it'd take to fix.

Then again, being an oilless pump its already not worth fixing... Keep the tank and keep your eye out for a old oiled pump
Bingo! Oiless comps are junk IMO.. I've had 2 myself and aside from being the noisiest suckers on the planet they're easy to stop for good.
I had my first one go out in the middle of painting my sisters car. The paint was worth more than the compressor. But hey, free is tough to beat. On the other hand even though I seldom recommend anything with moving parts from Harbor Freight you can watch their sales and pick up a pretty decent oiled pump compressor for under $200, but I'd run from an oiless .. Campbell Hausfeld makes some nice compressors, but their homeowners models are generally regarded as junk.
Just my opinion..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #11 of 11 Old 04-28-2016, 03:52 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
By the way, if you're in the market for a compressor HF has a 21 gallon oil comp on sale now. 2.1 hp for $179. Never had a central pneumatics model, but a friend did and he liked it..
I had a really nice Sanborn years back..kept up with all of my tools, even a cutoff tool all day long.. Wish I still had it..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode