FrankenSaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
FrankenSaw

I asked awhile back about getting rust off a table saw center section. The first picture is why. I had spotted this 50's model Craftsman "100" table saw in a dudes barn and he gave it to me. It was buried and I could only see the top, motor and fence. I figured the motor (1 1/2 horse) and fence "micro adjust" was worth dragging the thing home for. I had other parts and pieces so I am working on building "FrankenSaw" from about 3 old 50's-60's 10" table saws I have, none of them complete. But I think the sum of the best parts is going to make a decent saw. Unfortunately the box from the "100" was just to oxidized and the original owner had done some sloppy brazing on it I would have preferred to use it. No go, but I did have a good box from a 60's model. I did not even try to clean the center section up, I had another one already pretty clean and waxed in storage. The guts from the oldest saw fit just perfect bolted to the center section. I did have to change the cranking rods (raise/lower, tilt) to fit the newer box, the old one was smaller. No biggy I had the parts and they interchanged. It is on a temporary metal stand from the 60's right now I am going to make a small solid wood cabinet for it to set on later. I also infilled the extensions with white oak.I lost a thumbnail a few years ago on an open extension table on a kickback. Thumb got caught in a hole and the board smashed it, ouchy.
It runs very smooth, but I am still putting a link belt on it. I am not trying to do a restoration, not worried about correct colors and all that. Just trying to get the best running saw put together I can with free parts . So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fs1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	4346  

Name:	fs2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	4347  

Name:	fs3.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	4348  

Name:	fs4.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	4349  

Name:	fs5.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	4350  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a pretty good deal for FREE!! I have one of the 60's model's that used an 8" blade that I keep for small projects that I don't want to drag the big saw out for. I think my dad bought it around 61 when he was building the house. The fence isn't as nice as yours but everything else works great.
David
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice! Especially when it was free. Once you get that link belt on and the saw in its permanent base, you should coin test it during start up just to see how smooth it runs. I bet it will pass the penny test.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Ozark Hillbilly

View Terry Beeson's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Terry Beeson
Me Like-ie free!!!!

Looks like a good deal...

I cut that board three times and it's STILL too short!!!...
http://www.geocities.com/capt9992002
post #5 of 12 Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I liked the first pic you posted, But man-o-man I realy like the after pic. You did goooood. I am a little fond of the older tools and alway like to see someone fix one up. I especialy like the wooden inserts in the table. But I may be a little bias, I dont have a large shop tool newer than 50 years old.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #6 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I forgot about this thread until another member brought up thinking about buying an old use Craftsman. I have made some modifications. (spent my first money, bought a link belt) I need a new switch. The old safety switch quit, I am using a regular light switch-not as safe. I made a removable side extension, just unbolts and slides off in 2 minutes. It can be hooked up to a roll around dust collector I have, I probably will use dust collection in the winter right now I work with the overhead door open so it is not a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fs1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	4613  

Name:	fs2.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	4614  

Name:	fs3.jpg
Views:	12898
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	4615  

Attached Images

post #7 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I love what you did to that saw Daren. Some guys spend $1500 to $3000 on a saw thinking that's what will make them hit that next level of ability in woodworking.

I am all for buying old American and preserving them from the scrap heap.

That link belt makes it ride like a caddy don't it?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM

View themechanic007's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to themechanic007
I love it!!....If I wanted to build somthing like this what type/models are best for this-what years?

I am a time warp kinda guy, drive a 70 Nova cut my lawn with a 76 wheelhorse, i think older is almost always better-built anyway maybe not bell and whistle wise...

Anyway, any info you can provide would help in searching for parts...I have to have a saw like this.....
post #9 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themechanic007 View Post
.If I wanted to build somthing like this what type/models are best for this-what years?
I could not really rattle off model numbers. Just look for something heavy, good motor, good fence. Your old Craftman the parts are interchangeable (mostly) for several years. So if you find one with parts you like, snag it. Then look for other parts and pieces to make it what you want. Here is a good resource for dating old machines. http://www.owwm.com/home.aspx They even have owners manuals you can look at for part numbers and stuff, great site if a guy is thinking about bringing some of this older equipment back to life.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
I love what you did to that saw Daren. Some guys spend $1500 to $3000 on a saw thinking that's what will make them hit that next level of ability in woodworking.
About time someone else said it too.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
Daren I love your homemade table extensions. Might have to steal your idea... hope you don't mind.
Those are beautiful.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 AM

View Norman Pyles's Photo Album My Photos
Love the wood inserts in the wings. Grizzly has some good deals on switches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode