Four-caster R4512 mobile base issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

View Michael Helms's Photo Album My Photos
Four-caster R4512 mobile base issue

Hey guys, I bought a used Ridgid R4512 table saw with the four-caster mobile base. I dismounted and disassembled the mobile base to clean off the rust, and after reassembling the base, I've been unable to easily move the saw because the casters will not remain locked down in the rolling position. The slightest bump causes the saw base to retract unless I keep my foot on the pedal that lifts the saw into the rolling position. I believe I've reassembled the base correctly, but I don't have the manual for the four-caster version of the R4512 saw (the original owner lost the hard-copy manual), and the manuals for the R4512 I've found online are all for the later three-caster base. I don't know, maybe this issue is why the current models have the three-caster base? A search brought up one post on another forum from an R4512 owner with the same issue, but the response was vague, advising the owner that some unknown and unnamed part might need to be rotated 180 degrees. I can only guess what this part might be, I tried reversing the shaft that joins the aft pair of casters end-to-end, but no joy.

Anyway if anyone owns the four-caster version of the saw, I'd like to hear any guidance you can offer. Also, if anyone knows where I can download the owner's manual for the four-caster base assembly, please let me know. Thanks in advance, Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
We could probably tell from a photo .....

Obviously there a part in backwards or upside down from the reassembly. It's most likely a over center cam affair/mechanism so that when you press down on the pedal it lifts up. Something is preventing it from staying up ... the rod is in backwards or the locking mechanism is broken or missing ...?

take some closeups from different angles and post them here. The same mechanism might also be used on the 3 wheel version, who knows?
Is this the one?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-22-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 11:40 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
This problem was also discussed on lumberjocks.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/90498

Gary
post #5 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
I had a Delta mobile base that has a single swivel castor wheel that was just a pain in the neck. Stopped over to Grizzly and picked up one of their mobile base for about 69.00 now that saw glides around the shop floor like butter. I can't believe I fought that base for so long. I have several other tools that have the same setup but for the heavy saw the double swivel wheel setup is much nicer.

While I was there I picked up a remote for the shop vac. I was wearing myself out going back and forth starting the vacuum as it has a 25 foot hose reach on it. Small shop woes!

Being mobile and having the ability to transform quickly is a key thing for the small shop. Hope you get your mobile base figured out and if you don't head out and get a new one!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

woodnthings, that's a different model with a different base, one that I believe my former boss owned. I tried it several years ago and thought it was a great saw compared to my Delta contractor's saw. I bought this Ridgid saw to replace the Delta because I was so impressed with that Ridgid.

The .pdf R4512 manual Kerrys posted is for the correct model (Thanks! must've been a chore to find that, I bookmarked the manual site), but the instructions suggest that I've reassembled the base correctly. Dang. The previous owner kept it exposed to the wet windward Big Island weather and salty shoreline air so the base was pretty corroded even though upper part of the saw and the saw itself remained in great shape and was apparently not used much. I'm wondering if cleaning off the rust on the cam-like parts of the lifting mechanism was a mistake. As I recall, when I loaded it and unloaded it before doing this, the base worked okay.

gmercer, I appreciate the Lumberjocks thread link, unfortunately, if the OP found a solution, he doesn't seem to have posted it.

I guess that I may have to rig some sort of catch or pawl to prevent the saw base from collapsing after raising it. Maybe I could notch the "center-support" and install a cross member of some kind to lock it in the raised position while I roll it. Really a shame, all of this Ridgid's four-caster base casters swivel, and it's simpler to stow it in my little shop after use than it was with my three-caster Delta. Only one caster swiveled on the Delta base, so you had to "drive" and park it like a car or shopping cart.

If anyone else sees this thread and has come up with a solution, I'd sure like to hear about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RidgidCasters.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	377239  

Name:	RidgidCastersDiagram.png
Views:	13
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	377241  

post #7 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Michael Helms,

Obviously ridged has been having issues (3 changes to the mobile system). Have you tried pushing it in another direction to see if it occurs? It may be as simple as having the wheels trailing in a different direction. Also when going over seams or thresholds...go at an angle...there is less jolt, that may help. There is probably too much flex either on the center support link, or in the legs when jarred. I could also be that the roll pins that holds the bell cranks have bent...and the cranks are not at the correct angle in relation to the axle shafts. If their design was sound in the first place...it is most likely something simple. But since they have changed it several times...there is a good chance their design is actually flawed. Good luck.

Gary
post #8 of 9 Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

The pedal and lever on the back axle seem quite firmly attached to the axles. I suppose they may have slipped a few degrees from use, but I donít think so. Iíve rigged a kind of lock using a turnbuckle attached to a longer substitute set bolt on the pedal which I can in turn hook to an eyebolt Iíve mounted to the front of the stand. This complicates the lock and release process, but now I can at least move the saw without the casters retracting prematurely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MobileBaseLock.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	377257  

post #9 of 9 Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That seems awkward ... ^

How abut looking at the caster "cams" to see if they could have a flat filed/ground on them, not much, just enough to seat them more positively? Like a detent, but still able to rotate out of the up position.

Maybe there's one already, it just needs some improvement? Also look to see that in the up position all the cams are in the same position, none leading the others with no pair "jumping the gun" ready to collapse before the others.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode