Found a dewalt 1030 round arm!! RAS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ryan50hrl
  • 1 Post By Pirate

post #1 of 14 Old 11-08-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
Found a dewalt 1030 round arm!! RAS

I found a dewalt 1030 round arm RAS on Craigslist!! It's was a 6 hour round trip but think it will be well worth it. Paid $150 (asking price was $200) and it works great as is. Needs a lot of cleanup. It's hard to raise the arm but it's smooth. I think the big screw just needs to be cleaned up and lubed. Can't wait to get it cleaned up and back in service! Guess I'm going to have to run another 220 line for it. It's replacing a crappy craftsman that was 110. Name:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1478615829.033959.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  72.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1478615842.044632.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  101.6 KBFound a dewalt 1030 round arm!! RAS-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1478615861.834586.jpgFound a dewalt 1030 round arm!! RAS-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1478615879.152970.jpg

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice!!

I didn't realize AMF owned DeWalt at one time...
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (11-08-2016)
post #3 of 14 Old 11-08-2016, 09:47 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Nicely done.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikechell For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (11-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I've got the same saw and run it on 110....no need for 220 on this beast in my opinion, it's easily cut everything I've ever tried to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaelpugh likes this.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #5 of 14 Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I've got the same saw and run it on 110....no need for 220 on this beast in my opinion, it's easily cut everything I've ever tried to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that you had this saw in another thread. I was thinking about rewiring it to 110. It has the diagram right on top of the motor. I need a few other 220 lines in my shop already so I thought I might as well put one in for this while I was at it. But if you've been running on 110 for awhile now I might just go that route. Thanks Ryan!

post #6 of 14 Old 11-18-2016, 01:26 PM

View jjones03819's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same saw, I absolutely love it. The versatility is incredible. If you don't already have it, I can email you a copy of the owners manual. I also have a write up bookmarked that covers aligning the saw in great detail. As far as 110/220 do what ever is more convenient for you, I can say from first hand experience that your motor wires have likely lost all their color over the years and will all appear to be some shade of white. If you are set on changing to 110V I can send you a detailed schematic that shows how both 110 and 220 are wired so you can make the change even if the wires are all white in appearance. You'll potentially have to ohm out some of the wires to identify them (at least I did).

-Joshua
post #7 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones03819 View Post
I have the same saw, I absolutely love it. The versatility is incredible. If you don't already have it, I can email you a copy of the owners manual. I also have a write up bookmarked that covers aligning the saw in great detail. As far as 110/220 do what ever is more convenient for you, I can say from first hand experience that your motor wires have likely lost all their color over the years and will all appear to be some shade of white. If you are set on changing to 110V I can send you a detailed schematic that shows how both 110 and 220 are wired so you can make the change even if the wires are all white in appearance. You'll potentially have to ohm out some of the wires to identify them (at least I did).

-Joshua

Thanks Josh. I did find the manual online and printed it off. Not much in it really. There is a schematic on top of the motor for the wiring but I haven't gotten into it yet. It's been in the corner of my shop since I brought it home. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and in service but haven't had the time yet. And I have my craftsman built into my workbench so I've gotta tear that out to make a spot for the dewalt.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
test drive the Dewalt first

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpugh View Post
Thanks Josh. I did find the manual online and printed it off. Not much in it really. There is a schematic on top of the motor for the wiring but I haven't gotten into it yet. It's been in the corner of my shop since I brought it home. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and in service but haven't had the time yet. And I have my craftsman built into my workbench so I've gotta tear that out to make a spot for the dewalt.
Unless you are positive about the running condition of the Dewalt, I wouldn't tear out the Craftsman just yet. Get the Dewalt up and running and make certain everything is as you expect.... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 11:08 AM

View jjones03819's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Unless you are positive about the running condition of the Dewalt, I wouldn't tear out the Craftsman just yet. Get the Dewalt up and running and make certain everything is as you expect.... just sayin'

Agreed. It may be possible that you will have to replace motor bearings or the main track bearings. Both are really simple, but take time for the replacement bearings to be shipped...etc. Only other problem that could happen is the dog point screw could potentially break if you need to adjust it. But again it isn't terrible to resolve.

The wiring diagrams I am referring to are much more detailed that what are on the motor cover. If the wires under the cover have all bleached white over the past 60ish years the diagram of the cover isn't much help.

I am a huge advocate of these saws so if you need any help or have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

-Joshua
The Following User Says Thank You to jjones03819 For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (11-26-2016)
post #10 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

Good advice. I have turned it on at the shop I picked it up from. And played with all the moving parts there and here. I do pan on getting my wiring done before I take out my current setup. I'll do that get it plugged in and run some lumber through before I do anything else 👍

post #11 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Name:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1479571924.201750.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  82.1 KB
That's my current setup, excuse the mess :) I want to leave the dewalt base intact mostly because I love the look of the old base. I'll have to build a table top for it with a good fence system. I haven't even checked heights yet to see how it'll match up to my workbench but I'm sure I can make it work.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpugh View Post
Attachment 262802
That's my current setup, excuse the mess :) I want to leave the dewalt base intact mostly because I love the look of the old base. I'll have to build a table top for it with a good fence system. I haven't even checked heights yet to see how it'll match up to my workbench but I'm sure I can make it work.
Michael,
I was just wondering, Since you already had a working RAS, why did you need another?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #13 of 14 Old 11-19-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Found a dewalt 1030 round arm!! RAS

I plan on selling the craftsman. I bought it for $75 and figure I can probably get that back out of it. The dewalt working well is supposed to be an awesome machine. The craftsman doesn't hold its 90 degree very well. Just not very accurate. I've actually had it in my shop for a couple of years and never really used it. But in several projects lately I've done some half lap joints on longer boards and it was awesome for that. My shop is long and skinny. I can't run long boards across my table saw ( I can rip all day long &#128522. Made me realize if I had a good RAS it would be very handy.

Last edited by michaelpugh; 11-19-2016 at 11:59 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Michael,
I was just wondering, Since you already had a working RAS, why did you need another?
Maybe you have to have been there and done that to understand.
I switched from the same CM ras to a Dewalt 7790 saw. Big difference.

It's like switching from a CM 113. table saw to a Unisaw, which I also did. They both cut wood. The Dewalt just does it better! Much better!

If I had the room, I would have kept the CM 113. saw just for dados.
michaelpugh likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode