Woodworking Talk banner

Floor model, but no discount?

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  d_slat 
#1 ·
Hi All,

my first post here. I'd love to get your thoughts on this situation. I spoke to my local Hammer dealer today about purchasing an A3 31 jointer/planer. He said he has only one on the showroom floor that has had two boards run through it. Other than that, it won't be until late January before others come. I asked him if there was a discount because it was on floor unit and used and he said no, no discount at all. I'm struggling with this at the most basic level. In my mind, floor model or used and especially both should have a discount.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

#2 ·
Our local Woodcraft store will have machines set up on the floor, but not used at all. These are not normally discounted just for being set up, unless they're on sale. If a machine has had any use, to me, it's not brand new anymore. There should be some kind of dicount for that. Go somewhere else.
Mike Hawkins;)

#3 ·
I have actually had that occur to me at a local Lowes. When the appliance I wanted wasn't going to be in for 2-weeks, I asked about the floor model. I was told okay but no discount as they would have to replace it with the next one that came in. I was told that unless theres something wrong with the floor model or it was the last one, there wouldn't be any discounts.

I guess it boils down to how bad do you want it...

#4 ·
Two boards doesn't constitute 'used' to me but it says 'demonstrated, tested, and working just fine'. Same as getting a new car with 20 miles on it because someone else drove it around the block a few times. That car is still new and that jointer/planer is still new.

#5 ·
I never understood discounts on floor models. The only difference between a floor model and one in the box is the floor model has been assembled. As long as the floor model hasnt been abused or neglected, its a brand new machine, same as the one in the box. Like difalkner mentioned, calling a floor model 'used' is like saying a brand new car is used because theres 4 miles on the odometer, it just doesnt make sense.

#9 ·
You were fortunate the store even agreed to sell the floor model, many will not. Even though they are out of stock they still want you to see the item and will take your name to call you when new stock arrives, one store I frequent actually has signs attached to some tools stating, "Display Item, Not For Sale".

#11 ·
I was in Sears one day and observed a guy assembling a 14 inch band saw. I finally had to walk away. He had no clue of what went where.

I am always leery of floor models. Are they put together correctly? Are all of the parts in place? Paperwork?

I know some of you have seen some shoddy assembly work of floor models before. I know I have several times.

Just sayin'

#14 ·
I disagree with those of you that say no discount is warranted.

Have you ever stood and watched what customers and tire-kickers DO to those floor models?

I have seen people twist parts out of alignment, run a saw blade into metal, drop a fence, etc.

I would not only want a discount, I'd probbaly insist on waiting for a new machine to come in!

Jim G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.