First Bandsaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

View 67flh's Photo Album My Photos
First Bandsaw

After reading 100's of reviews about bandsaws I settled on a Grizzly GO555 Ultimate. For years I have been using my scroll saw to do the work of a bandsaw. I ordered it online Monday and it shipped from Springfield, MO Tues at 1600 by 1300 on Wed. the box was sitting in my shop. I have all but the final fine tuning finished and have actually made a few cuts. I know I am going to like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Did you get the riser block with it?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-07-2017, 03:58 PM

View GFOviedo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67flh View Post
After reading 100's of reviews about bandsaws I settled on a Grizzly GO555 Ultimate. For years I have been using my scroll saw to do the work of a bandsaw. I ordered it online Monday and it shipped from Springfield, MO Tues at 1600 by 1300 on Wed. the box was sitting in my shop. I have all but the final fine tuning finished and have actually made a few cuts. I know I am going to like it.
I'm currently using a scroll saw as well. I'm going to eventually get a band saw as well. Low on funds right now though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
Did you get the riser block with it?
I did not spring for the block, may regret that someday but for now just do not need one for my purposes. I have the saw set up with the blade that it came with, it's fun to cut with it. I also have a 1/4" 6 TPI that I will mainly be using on it.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 AM

View Huxleywood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I did not spring for the block, may regret that someday but for now just do not need one for my purposes. I have the saw set up with the blade that it came with, it's fun to cut with it. I also have a 1/4" 6 TPI that I will mainly be using on it.

Like most every bandsaw that comes with a blade don't judge the saw by them, they are junk. First order of business with a new bandsaw is to get quality tooling on it. The best place for those blades is the garbage can OR kept for when you expect to destroy a blade.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What are they thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxleywood View Post
Like most every bandsaw that comes with a blade don't judge the saw by them, they are junk. First order of business with a new bandsaw is to get quality tooling on it. The best place for those blades is the garbage can OR kept for when you expect to destroy a blade.
I found out the same thing when I purchased a new saw. It doesn't bode well to hear that "My brand new saw cuts like crap" in a post on a forum. You would think the company, in this case Grizzly, would put a blade on that would make the customer happy instead of making them wonder what's wrong with their brand new saw..... :frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I found out the same thing when I purchased a new saw. It doesn't bode well to hear that "My brand new saw cuts like crap" in a post on a forum. You would think the company, in this case Grizzly, would put a blade on that would make the customer happy instead of making them wonder what's wrong with their brand new saw..... :frown2:
Out of the box I have no complaints about my choice of saws, having never owned one I had no idea as to what to expect. I purchased the 1/4" blade because I wish to cut tighter curves not because of the potentially bad cut from the blade that came with the saw. Could better blades be the standard on new saws, probably? I can go out and buy a $25,000.00 Harley and in all probability they put something on the bike that I could improve on, such as the seat, why did they just not put a better seat on it to begin with, they make a better seat? Hmmmm
post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
blades vs Harley seats ...

Quote:
Out of the box I have no complaints about my choice of saws, having never owned one I had no idea as to what to expect. I purchased the 1/4" blade because I wish to cut tighter curves not because of the potentially bad cut from the blade that came with the saw. Could better blades be the standard on new saws, probably? I can go out and buy a $25,000.00 Harley and in all probability they put something on the bike that I could improve on, such as the seat, why did they just not put a better seat on it to begin with, they make a better seat? Hmmmm
I happen to have experience in both areas.
I was eager to ride my 2001 Screaming Eagle Road King ... about $35,000, out Route 66 to San Bernadino. I got about 1/2 way there when I couldn't stand the seat any longer and shipped it back UPS and got a wonderful production seat instead.

Bandsaw blades are considerably cheaper. A few more dollars spent on a decent blade would go a very long way to boost customer confidence. Grizzly is not the first saw coming with a crappy blade that I've heard of either. Too many teeth per inch will result in poor performance in thicker wood. The quality of the steel will play some difference, but it's not as important as the proper blade type.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode