Fences - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

View Mazz's Photo Album My Photos
Fences

I just bought my first table saw (jet jwcs-10a cabinet saw) and it didn't come with a fence. I would love to drop another $300 for a nice aftermarket one but I'm already in the doghouse for spending too much on the saw. I saw online plans to build a diy out of wood but, I'm weary of how accurate these really are. Any experiences with diy fences or suggestions about other avenues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Probably the best DIY Biesemeyer clone table saw fence out there:
https://vsctools.com/verysupercool-tools/
Tony B, BigJim, shoot summ and 2 others like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Mazz (04-15-2019), Tony B (04-15-2019)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 06:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
With a table saw fence, accuracy is all in the setup. For a pure ripping operation, a straight 2x4 clamped to the table can be just as accurate as the best fence. It is not very convenient to reset, but for a one time use it is good.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM
where's my table saw?

A missing fence .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
I just bought my first table saw (jet jwcs-10a cabinet saw) and it didn't come with a fence. I would love to drop another $300 for a nice aftermarket one but I'm already in the doghouse for spending too much on the saw. I saw online plans to build a diy out of wood but, I'm weary of how accurate these really are. Any experiences with diy fences or suggestions about other avenues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
With a table saw fence, accuracy is all in the setup. For a pure ripping operation, a straight 2x4 clamped to the table can be just as accurate as the best fence. It is not very convenient to reset, but for a one time use it is good.

George

A "one time use" is not what the OP is seeking, rather a DIY solution that is accurate. Measuring twice and cutting once, is true in a one use setup and would be a PITA for any serious woodworker. No one here has that "system" as far as I know, so it's not a viable solution.

IF your fence requires two measurements for accuracy, it is either a very poor design or badly in need of repair. Fences have come a long way since the 2 X 4 and a clamp.... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Probably the best DIY Biesemeyer clone table saw fence out there:
https://vsctools.com/verysupercool-tools/
I check out the link and from what I understand it if just for the guide rails. It still requires spending $200+ for the T-square. I have found this https://ibuildit.ca/projects/wooden-table-saw-fence/ and it seems within my ability. Hopefully it will suffice until I can get back in good graces.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM
where's my table saw?

No, you've got it backwards ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
I check out the link and from what I understand it if just for the guide rails. It still requires spending $200+ for the T-square. I have found this https://ibuildit.ca/projects/wooden-table-saw-fence/ and it seems within my ability. Hopefully it will suffice until I can get back in good graces.
https://vsctools.com/shop/table-saw-fence/
The green "head" is $229.00.

The fence rail is 80/20 aluminum, sold separately.

https://vsctools.com/shop/product-ca...um-extrusions/

It fits on a 2" X 3" steel tube, sold separately.

The issue with a DIY fence as you linked is ... You need a table saw with a good fence to make a DIY fence.

There are other ideas. Here's a simple fence I made to demonstrate the concept.... 3 pieces of wood and a bar clamp:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/...ets-see-44227/

Just add a "T" square cross piece underneath, and it will "self square" to the table edge. Nutin' fancy. but it works. Total investment ... a long bar clamp.
Mazz likes this.

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-15-2019 at 12:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Mazz (04-15-2019)
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
A "one time use" is not what the OP is seeking, rather a DIY solution that is accurate. Measuring twice and cutting once, is true in a one use setup and would be a PITA for any serious woodworker. No one here has that "system" as far as I know, so it's not a viable solution.

IF your fence requires two measurements for accuracy, it is either a very poor design or badly in need of repair. Fences have come a long way since the 2 X 4 and a clamp.... just sayin'

LOL. You entirely missed the point of my post.

George
post #8 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Your saw will only be as good as the fence, bite the bullet and get a good used fence, it will only have you in the doghouse for a night or two, but you will be enjoying the saw forever.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

So a little update. Turns out my saw isn't able to be converted to 110 even though everything I have read told me it could. I don't really want to run 220 to my unattached garage so I think I'm going to try and sell the saw for what I paid for it and find a different one for my shop. I'll make sure the next one had a fence with it. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Last edited by Mazz; 04-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
According to the manual the saw can be wired for 115 or 230 volts...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/62...?page=5#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/62...page=21#manual
post #11 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
I know... Unfortunately the diagram in the manual does not match the wiring on the motor. It only has 2 red wires coming out of the motor not the multicolored like I would need to change over. The motor plate only lists 220v (Dumb on my part not checking that before buying)Fences-img_20190415_142634_1555673171363.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190415_200114_01_1555673185460.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	374545  

post #12 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 AM
where's my table saw?

I wouldn't sell that saw/motor combination......

That's a 2 HP 220 V only motor, perfect for a home shop table saw!

A new really good, replacement fence can be bought for $306.00:
https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W200...%2C365&sr=8-28

Next, all you need is 220 v outlet, less than $100.00 or an extension cord.

Now you have a really good setup for any home craftsman project you'll ever need!

I chased the "perfect" table saw setup for a long time, until I finally arrived at this, so I have some experience with them:
Kerrys likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode