Fences - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 4
View Mazz's Photo Album My Photos
Fences

I just bought my first table saw (jet jwcs-10a cabinet saw) and it didn't come with a fence. I would love to drop another $300 for a nice aftermarket one but I'm already in the doghouse for spending too much on the saw. I saw online plans to build a diy out of wood but, I'm weary of how accurate these really are. Any experiences with diy fences or suggestions about other avenues?
Mazz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 24,860
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Probably the best DIY Biesemeyer clone table saw fence out there:
https://vsctools.com/verysupercool-tools/
Tony B, BigJim, shoot summ and 2 others like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Mazz (04-15-2019), Tony B (04-15-2019)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,438
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
With a table saw fence, accuracy is all in the setup. For a pure ripping operation, a straight 2x4 clamped to the table can be just as accurate as the best fence. It is not very convenient to reset, but for a one time use it is good.


George
GeorgeC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 24,860
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A missing fence .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
I just bought my first table saw (jet jwcs-10a cabinet saw) and it didn't come with a fence. I would love to drop another $300 for a nice aftermarket one but I'm already in the doghouse for spending too much on the saw. I saw online plans to build a diy out of wood but, I'm weary of how accurate these really are. Any experiences with diy fences or suggestions about other avenues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
With a table saw fence, accuracy is all in the setup. For a pure ripping operation, a straight 2x4 clamped to the table can be just as accurate as the best fence. It is not very convenient to reset, but for a one time use it is good.


George

A "one time use" is not what the OP is seeking, rather a DIY solution that is accurate. Measuring twice and cutting once, is true in a one use setup and would be a PITA for any serious woodworker. No one here has that "system" as far as I know, so it's not a viable solution.

IF your fence requires two measurements for accuracy, it is either a very poor design or badly in need of repair. Fences have come a long way since the 2 X 4 and a clamp.... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 4
View Mazz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Probably the best DIY Biesemeyer clone table saw fence out there:
https://vsctools.com/verysupercool-tools/
I check out the link and from what I understand it if just for the guide rails. It still requires spending $200+ for the T-square. I have found this https://ibuildit.ca/projects/wooden-table-saw-fence/ and it seems within my ability. Hopefully it will suffice until I can get back in good graces.
Mazz is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 24,860
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
No, you've got it backwards ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
I check out the link and from what I understand it if just for the guide rails. It still requires spending $200+ for the T-square. I have found this https://ibuildit.ca/projects/wooden-table-saw-fence/ and it seems within my ability. Hopefully it will suffice until I can get back in good graces.
https://vsctools.com/shop/table-saw-fence/
The green "head" is $229.00.


The fence rail is 80/20 aluminum, sold separately.

https://vsctools.com/shop/product-ca...um-extrusions/


It fits on a 2" X 3" steel tube, sold separately.

The issue with a DIY fence as you linked is ... You need a table saw with a good fence to make a DIY fence.


There are other ideas. Here's a simple fence I made to demonstrate the concept.... 3 pieces of wood and a bar clamp:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/...ets-see-44227/


Just add a "T" square cross piece underneath, and it will "self square" to the table edge. Nutin' fancy. but it works. Total investment ... a long bar clamp.
Mazz likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-15-2019 at 12:26 PM.
woodnthings is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Mazz (04-15-2019)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,438
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
A "one time use" is not what the OP is seeking, rather a DIY solution that is accurate. Measuring twice and cutting once, is true in a one use setup and would be a PITA for any serious woodworker. No one here has that "system" as far as I know, so it's not a viable solution.

IF your fence requires two measurements for accuracy, it is either a very poor design or badly in need of repair. Fences have come a long way since the 2 X 4 and a clamp.... just sayin'

LOL. You entirely missed the point of my post.


George
GeorgeC is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,663
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Your saw will only be as good as the fence, bite the bullet and get a good used fence, it will only have you in the doghouse for a night or two, but you will be enjoying the saw forever.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
FrankC is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 4
View Mazz's Photo Album My Photos
So a little update. Turns out my saw isn't able to be converted to 110 even though everything I have read told me it could. I don't really want to run 220 to my unattached garage so I think I'm going to try and sell the saw for what I paid for it and find a different one for my shop. I'll make sure the next one had a fence with it. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Last edited by Mazz; Yesterday at 10:52 PM.
Mazz is online now  
post #10 of 10 Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Kerrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sedro Woolley, WA
Posts: 623
View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
According to the manual the saw can be wired for 115 or 230 volts...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/62...?page=5#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/62...page=21#manual
Kerrys is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craftsman modern fences for table saws. unburled Power Tools & Machinery 7 03-12-2019 04:20 PM
Sears "Align-A-Rip" vs "Exact-I-Rip" vs "True-Rip" fences. Mad Power Tools & Machinery 23 02-22-2018 11:49 AM
Three Fences? mangorockfish Power Tools & Machinery 27 03-22-2017 06:32 PM
aftermarket rip fences hawkvtx Power Tools & Machinery 6 03-09-2017 02:41 PM
What to look for in a used table saw? Nathan Parker Power Tools & Machinery 36 07-30-2016 03:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome