fence rails/rip capacity - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

View dtrider's Photo Album My Photos
fence rails/rip capacity

Hi all, thanks for the help in selecting a saw over at this thread. I purchased and installed the T-2 fence from delta and the combination is fantastic.

Thanks to Woodchuck1957's heads up I snatched up a vega u50 that was on craigslist as well. Both fences seem comparable in quality but the vega has 50" rails. The delta has 30". Does the 30" rail mean that I can cut stock no wider that 30" safely? I can definetely envision wanting something wider. The downside of the vega of course is that the extension is huge and my shop space is quickly disappearing. I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
edp

View edp's Photo Album My Photos
Were they detailing the "RIP CAPACITY'

or the actual rail length? A 50" rail length would probably yield about a 23" Rip Capacity. The rails when mounted as instructed by the manufacturer, usually extend maybe a foot on the other side of the blade. If you take the maverick approach like I did (because I never cut on the left of the blade) you can mount your rails to maximize your rip capacity. My saw is equipped with the 7' rails providing about 64" of rip capacity.

Ed
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

ahh okay. I suppose I was just talking about the manufacturers markings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Manufacturers state the rip capacity in inches to the right of the blade, and sometimes also to the left. A 30" rip capacity often gets labeled as a 30" fence, or 30" rails, when the actual length of the rails is obviously greater than that. That actual length varies in part on how much rip capacity is to the left of the blade. It's possible to slide the front rail on a fence with a 30" rip capacity further to the right to gain more rip capacity....be aware that you lose capacity from the left. I moved the front rail from my 30" Biese fence to the right by 10", for a new capacity of 40" right and just a few inches on the left. How far you can go depends partly on the overall length of the rails and how little capacity to the left you're willing to deal with. If you have a left tilt saw it's unlikely you'll ever need to rip to the left of the blade...even a right tilt it's typically limited to bevel cuts. It may or may not require some drilling....mine did not, but cast iron drills fairly easily. It'll also require resetting or replacing the measuring tape. It may also require relocating the switch. Pretty simple actually. Inversely, you might even be able to slide the Vega's long rails slightly to left so that they don't poke out as far to the right.

The Vega is a really nice fence IMHO, but the T2 is a fine fence too. Which fence you like best is a matter of preference. Decide if you can modify the stated capacity of either fence, then keep the one that makes the most sense to you.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty much all of what Ed and Scott said. The Unifence I have is a 30". I can cut up to 30" to the right of the blade, and about 10" to the left. The total length of the front rail is about 62".

Last edited by user4178; 06-10-2008 at 09:14 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 PM

View Norman Pyles's Photo Album My Photos
I am using a 30" fence, and don't think I would ever want anything longer. If I have to cut stuff over 30" I just use a straight edge, and circular saw. I feel it is much safer, but that's just my opinion.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
The Vega is a really nice fence IMHO,
knotscott, do you use a vega fence? I didn't get a manual and I don't see anything to adjust the fence to be square with the miter slots. The T-2 has real easy plastic thingamajigs. Do you just mess with the mounting clamps?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrider View Post
knotscott, do you use a vega fence? I didn't get a manual and I don't see anything to adjust the fence to be square with the miter slots. The T-2 has real easy plastic thingamajigs. Do you just mess with the mounting clamps?
I had a Vega in the shop for a few weeks a couple of years ago but am currently using a Biese....I don't recall how to make alignment adjustments. I do recall there being 4-bolts holding the fence tube to the clamping bracket...it's possible there's an adjustment there. You could always contact Vega ...I'm sure they'd tell you how to do it and/or send you a manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode