Fence for my newly repainted Powermatic 65 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

View ChuckBarnett's Photo Album My Photos
Fence for my newly repainted Powermatic 65

So, I began looking at the fence that came with this old table saw. It definitely has some missing parts, & I haven't had any luck finding parts or another Powermatic 65 fence, or even a Powermatic 66 fence which appears to be interchangeable. So I guess I'm going to have to spend some money. I've collected some good advice from you folks and the old woodworking machines forum regarding what to purchase. but I'm asking as a last minute request if anybody knows of anything out there. I'd rather rebuild and use this original fence than spend three or four hundred dollars on a new fence at this time. Thank you, all, for your encouragement and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-05-2016, 07:29 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What parts are missing? When you rebuild old machines this usually means a lot of time searching the internet for parts or fabricating the parts. In your case where you are needing parts for an accessory this would probably mean fabricating or finding a used Powermatic 65 fence.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
The fence is arguably the most crucial part of the saw. IMO it's the last thing you should try to cheap out on. I've used a Biesemeyer fence in one form or another on my last couple of saws, and will continue to use them in the future. My Unisaw rebuild will have one on it when it's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 AM

View Danny870's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
So, I began looking at the fence that came with this old table saw. It definitely has some missing parts, & I haven't had any luck finding parts or another Powermatic 65 fence, or even a Powermatic 66 fence which appears to be interchangeable. So I guess I'm going to have to spend some money. I've collected some good advice from you folks and the old woodworking machines forum regarding what to purchase. but I'm asking as a last minute request if anybody knows of anything out there. I'd rather rebuild and use this original fence than spend three or four hundred dollars on a new fence at this time. Thank you, all, for your encouragement and help.
I have a spare set of Delta 55" Biesemeyer style guide rails that are brand new in the box. You could bolt these babies on there and have 55" of fence travel. You could pick up any Biesemeyer style fence to use with it. I have two sets of these and the other set is going on my personal Craftsmam Professional cabinet saw.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank You, Danny! That is certainly a great thought. I'm in a very tight area, and 55 inches would be quite a fence for the kind of work that I am presently anticipating doing. I was thinking something more like a 25 or 30 inch fence. I'm still working on parts for this original fence. but thank you!
post #6 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Steve, you can see from the drawing what I've circled. I also could have circled the little knob on the cam lever above that as well. Here are part numbers with the description:
65-171 rear fence lock
65-189 pinion fence knob
65-186 cam lock handle knob

The knobs are likely findable, but that rear fence lock mechanism might be tough.
Attached Images

post #7 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I've used a Biesemeyer fence in one form or another on my last couple of saws...
I'm relatively uneducated on these things. My understanding is Biesemeyer is a brand name, so when you buy a Biesemeyer fence, you're buying that brand of fence. Fix my dumb would you please? I'm sensing it may be a style of fence. Back in the old days to the uneducated, if you rode a motorcycle you rode a Honda whether or not it WAS a Honda.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm relatively uneducated on these things. My understanding is Biesemeyer is a brand name, so when you buy a Biesemeyer fence, you're buying that brand of fence. Fix my dumb would you please? I'm sensing it may be a style of fence. Back in the old days to the uneducated, if you rode a motorcycle you rode a Honda whether or not it WAS a Honda.
A Biesemeyer is a "T" style fence, basically a length of angle iron that runs along a square tube with a cam lock, very simple, very accurate, lots of photos online.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #9 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

So, any fence that follows that pattern whether it be a Delta T2 or a Shop Fox or a Vega or whatever is still a Beisemeyer for comparison and conversation purposes? It doesn't have to have the brand name to be a be Beisemeyer fence.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
So, any fence that follows that pattern whether it be a Delta T2 or a Shop Fox or a Vega or whatever is still a Beisemeyer for comparison and conversation purposes? It doesn't have to have the brand name to be a be Beisemeyer fence.
Beisemeyer is a brand of that style, however like Hoover, Aspirin, etc, it and "Bessy" have become somewhat generic terms.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
ChuckBarnett (01-06-2016)
post #11 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

After considering your comments and learning a lot more about this topic I ordered this fence. Best deal I found was $319 to my door.
Still not sure what it is. It is a "Delta Biesemeyer" 30 inch. So maybe Delta owns Biesemeyer?

Thank you all for your patience with me. :-)
Attached Images

post #12 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Not sure how that first smilie got in there rather than a "D
post #13 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
After considering your comments and learning a lot more about this topic I ordered this fence. Best deal I found was $319 to my door.
Still not sure what it is. It is a "Delta Biesemeyer" 30 inch. So maybe Delta owns Biesemeyer?

Thank you all for your patience with me. :-)
Can you provide a link for us to check this? There used to be a couple of fences, a smaller setup, and the larger fences. I think the smaller ones were for Craftsman saws but not certain. I do know they were a darker color like your pic, and the larger setups are typically light grey.

ETA I think the distinction you want is "Commercial" on the fence...

Last edited by shoot summ; 01-08-2016 at 10:35 AM.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I will try. I tried to do that here on my phone and could never get the ebay link. Since I have made the purchase it seems to keep sending me to my page on my account regarding that purchase. But I'll see what I can do.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

post #16 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

I asked the seller for help re: fitting another fence he was selling for $198.00 (the T3 someone earlier had pointed out to me). He said that one was for contractor saws and this was better for my PM 65.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 12:59 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The fence is arguably the most crucial part of the saw. IMO it's the last thing you should try to cheap out on. I've used a Biesemeyer fence in one form or another on my last couple of saws, and will continue to use them in the future. My Unisaw rebuild will have one on it when it's done.
+1: I agree.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you provide a link for us to check this? There used to be a couple of fences, a smaller setup, and the larger fences. I think the smaller ones were for Craftsman saws but not certain. I do know they were a darker color like your pic, and the larger setups are typically light grey.

ETA I think the distinction you want is "Commercial" on the fence...
Any more thoughts if you had a chance to glance at this ebay post? I want to do the right thing. Spending $319 to get something that will turn out to not be what I really need isn't a deal if I can get the right item for a few dollars more.

Thanks, again.

Chuck B
post #19 of 19 Old 12-13-2017, 10:28 AM

View Jong Keum's Photo Album My Photos
Powermatic 65 table saw fence

I have a similar problem as you had.
I have old Powermatic 65 table saw and, very recently, I overhauled mine. While I was assembling my saw fence back, I found I have some missing parts on my saw fence . I tried to find the missing parts for a couple of days but I couldn't. I think they went away together with garbage. It looks like to me that you purchased a nice Delta Biesemeyer" 30 inch fence already. Then, can I buy some of your old saw fence part if you still keep it? I think then I can continue to use my old original saw fence. If you are interested, please email me at [email protected]
Picture attached.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode