Feed Problem with Rockwell 22-401 Planer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

View geraldvg's Photo Album My Photos
Feed Problem with Rockwell 22-401 Planer

I have a 35+ year old Rockwell 13" planer, model 22-401, that has decided that it doesn't want to feed hardwoods. It feeds softwood just fine. The machine wasn't new when I got it back in the 70's but it was and is in good shape. I've run quite a bit of wood (both hard and soft) through it, but only last year had to sharpen the blades for the first time. The in and out-feed tables are clean and slick, but nothing I can do will get the machine to feed the oak I'm needing to mill. I'm starting with rough sawn, air dried stock, but I've tried jointing one side and even belt sanding both sides with no success. I don't know what to think is wrong unless the feed roller is worn and loosing it's grip. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how I might fix it? This has been a workhorse machine for me and I'm not in the position to replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes, the feed rollers lose their grip due to glazing. This can also be a problem on band saw tires. I have fixed the problem on mine by a very light sanding of the feeder rollers (provided that yours are rubber) It should provide a temporary fix to your problem. This can be repeated several times, depending on how much of a sanding you give them. It is, in no way, a substitute for replacing the feed rollers, which would be the better solution.
Ken
If you are weary about sanding the rollers, make certain that the rollers are perfectly clean before trying to sand them. Sometimes, all they need is a good cleaning to get all of the years of crap off of them.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, Kenbo, but my feed roller is steel with deep slots milled from end to end all around the diameter of the roller. I haven't tried to find one, but judging by the cost of other old Rockwell tool parts, it would be expensive if I could find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Gerald,
The only time my dewalt 13"er doesn't feed is when the blades get dull. You mentioned you sharpened them last year. Have you run a lot of wood through since then?
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mike, I have run several hundred board feet since sharpening the blades, but running softwoods (pine, cedar, etc) gives no sign of the blades being dull. That idea does make sense, however, and makes me wonder. Think I see what I can do about checking that out.

Gerald
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldvg View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Kenbo, but my feed roller is steel with deep slots milled from end to end all around the diameter of the roller. I haven't tried to find one, but judging by the cost of other old Rockwell tool parts, it would be expensive if I could find one.
Sorry that I couldn't help. I was hoping that the feel rollers were rubber. I should have known, that for its age, that your planer would have been built like a battleship. Quality.
Good luck.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Battleship is right, so much so that despite several moves I've never seen fit to take it off its original shipping crate base. Thanks for your thoughts, though. I'll keep working on the problem. Hopefully I can find someone who's been around as long as my tools and I have and who has have dealt with the problem.

Tags
22-401, feed, planer, rockwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode