Experience with an open end drum sander? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-18-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
Experience with an open end drum sander?

I'm looking at a g0458 18" open end drum sander on Craigslist and wondered if anyone had any experience with one and your thoughts on it. I thought it would be awesome to run glued up table tops through. And I work with mostly reclaimed wood. I thought it would be nice to clean up boards before I ran them through my planer or jointer. Whadda think??Experience with an open end drum sander?-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1442632525.835909.jpg

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-18-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

GRIZZLY Open end drum sander18" $600
http://fayar.craigslist.org/tls/5202781758.html

via cPro Craigslist App
iOS: http://************/CL-iDevice
Android: http://************/CL-Android

post #3 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 02:00 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I think the price seems a little high. $850 gets you one new from the show room, $600 strikes me as a little high. Dunno how well that model works, but personally i think $500 would be my max for a used one on CL, and thats only if i had to have it and couldnt talk the seller down to $400

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I think the price seems a little high. $850 gets you one new from the show room, $600 strikes me as a little high. Dunno how well that model works, but personally i think $500 would be my max for a used one on CL, and thats only if i had to have it and couldnt talk the seller down to $400
I agree that it is high, they had some in the clearance room last week that were priced better.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Experience with an open end drum sander?

Wish I had a grizzly store close. I thought the price was high too and wouldn't buy it if I couldn't talk him down. I'm just wondering about the application of the unit. How well it works and if you thought it would work for my application.
I've been sanding my boards before I put them through my jointer and planer because it seems like my blades are getting dull way too fast. Unfortunately it's seems like this hasn't helped much. And most of it being pine just boggles my mind. Trying to find another solution. I bought a metal detector because I have had problems with nails and screws in the past but I've put on new blades since then and they seem to be worn out again already...

Last edited by michaelpugh; 09-19-2015 at 09:27 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpugh View Post
Wish I had a grizzly store close. I thought the price was high too and wouldn't buy it if I couldn't talk him down. I'm just wondering about the application of the unit. How well it works and if you thought it would work for my application.
I've been sanding my boards before I put them through my jointer and planer because it seems like my blades are getting dull way too fast. Unfortunately it's seems like this hasn't helped much. And most of it being pine just boggles my mind. Trying to find another solution. I bought a metal detector because I have had problems with nails and screws in the past but I've put on new blades since then and they seem to be worn out again already...
You do, Springfield, MO is not that far from NWA, it's 2:45 from me in OK...
post #7 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

That's true. And I want to make that trip!! I'll have to collect my dad in Joplin and go. It'd be nice to have an idea what they had in the scratch and dent area before we went. Driving my gas guzzling truck would suck if they didn't have anything worth bringing back in it. I could probably call before I went...

post #8 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpugh View Post
That's true. And I want to make that trip!! I'll have to collect my dad in Joplin and go. It'd be nice to have an idea what they had in the scratch and dent area before we went. Driving my gas guzzling truck would suck if they didn't have anything worth bringing back in it. I could probably call before I went...
Lemme know when you're planning on going, I'll swing by and snap some pictures for you

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (09-19-2015)
post #9 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Lemme know when you're planning on going, I'll swing by and snap some pictures for you

Sounds awesome. Thank you.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-20-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

There are no reviews on grizzly but every review on Amazon had several negative comments about this sander. Reading those reviews makes me think this isn't the answer I'm looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode