• 3 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 1 Post By Scrappile
  • 2 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Evolution SCMS

More specifically, anybody got any experience with them, and are they any good? Ive been eyeing a new miter saw for the shop, and this one in particular caught my eye:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Evolutio...5SMS/310500943

I want a 7 1/4 slider, blade size is cheaper for better quality, and the slider function will let me cut everything i could want to cut on a miter saw anyways. The Evolution tools caught my eye because of their advertised ability to cut steel, a big plus in my shop. Course, steel and wood on the same blade is a load of BS, but if the tool itself can behave itself ive got no problem swapping blades as needed.

So, anybody got experience with either this particular model, or one of the other Evolution miter saws? Ive not seen much in the way of reviews on the brand, so anything helps. And, before it goes that way, im not going to get talked into a 10 inch miter saw, or a 12 inch. I know the ups and downsides, and i know what im looking for, and now im just narrowing down options

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
13579 (08-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
More specifically, anybody got any experience with them, and are they any good? Ive been eyeing a new miter saw for the shop, and this one in particular caught my eye:

I want a 7 1/4 slider, blade size is cheaper for better quality, and the slider function will let me cut everything i could want to cut on a miter saw anyways. The Evolution tools caught my eye because of their advertised ability to cut steel, a big plus in my shop. Course, steel and wood on the same blade is a load of BS, but if the tool itself can behave itself ive got no problem swapping blades as needed.

So, anybody got experience with either this particular model, or one of the other Evolution miter saws? Ive not seen much in the way of reviews on the brand, so anything helps. And, before it goes that way, im not going to get talked into a 10 inch miter saw, or a 12 inch. I know the ups and downsides, and i know what im looking for, and now im just narrowing down options
No experience with this brand. Likely a Chinese Hong Kong knock off. If your looking for cheap, try harbor freight tools. Bet you'll burn the saw up cutting steel

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13579 View Post
No experience with this brand. Likely a Chinese Hong Kong knock off. If your looking for cheap, try harbor freight tools. Bet you'll burn the saw up cutting steel

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
...knock off of what, exactly? I'm also curious as to how I would burn up a saw meant to cut steel by cutting steel with it. Beyond that, when did I say I was looking for cheap, exactly? I'm aware of what Harbor Freight has to offer, but I wasn't asking about harbor freight, I was polling people who have actually used the Evolution brand tools. Being that you, by your own admission, haven't, was there any purpose to this comment other than mockery?
Catpower and homestd like this.

I need cheaper hobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-24-2019, 01:23 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It is an interesting concept, am curious how they actually perform as well as I would like replace my metal cutting bandsaw in the future with a cold cutting saw like it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 08-24-2019 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-24-2019, 05:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's all about the blade ...apparently?

I don't own one, but after seeing several You Tubes on them, there's more than one model, here's what I learned:

The slow start 2500 RMP motor is different than most miter saws and the blade is as well. Other than that, fence and hold down clamps, seem pretty similar. This review, possibly biased because the saw was a "promotion" to a long time user, is worth a look:

As with any multi purpose tool, it may cut some materials better than others and blade wear from cutting a lot of steel would be a concern. That's the big question I would look for in any reviews, but I didn't bother to read any for that issue.....
See Amazon for reviews:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-R.../dp/B07BRPWJVZ

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-24-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-24-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Hadnt thought of checking the UK Amazon for reviews on the metric version, be a good place to look though. From what i gathered from the spec sheet on the US version though, the motor has a gearbox between it and the blade, presumably to slow the blade down by a bit and add some torque. Would explain the slower speed, and probably serves to help extend the blade life.

As far as blade life goes, ill admit im not too horribly concerned about that for the steel cutting side. Blades are consumables, so im not going into it thinking theyll last forever. My benchmark is whether or not they last long enough to get my moneys worth out of them. The one big downside ive found out is the model
that i posted has a 1" arbor, rather than the standard 5/8". Would limit blade selection by a lot, in the 7 1/4" size it seems like Evolution would be my only option. Im set up to where i can modify standard saw blades, but id rather not if i can avoid it. Leaning more to the Kobalt compact sliding miter now:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Comp...Saw/1000553513

Construction seems decent and it gets good reviews, and i know lennox makes a 7 1/4" steel cutting blade that works well that i could throw in it. Decisions for another time though

I need cheaper hobby
post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Under 23#, that is pretty good.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I jumped on board with an Evolution Rage earlier on.

The Rage is a metal cutting saw, using a carbide tipped blade.

Cuts were great, smooth, clean cuts on large peices of metal.

Miters were OK, having the work piece properly clamped is crucial as the piece will be flung across the shop at a high velocity if it isn't...

The down side for me was the sharp steel fragments that ended up everywhere when I was cutting. Eventually I had to set up outside to make cuts, which was not very convenient. In the end I ditched it for a bandsaw type cut off machine, I've been much happier with it, but again, my use for it is metal only.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2019, 03:24 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Those fragments would be deal breaker around here, I get into enough trouble with lathe swarf that follows me into the house.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 17 Old 08-25-2019, 04:03 PM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
I have no experience this model.. I did use evolution fury 3.. I can easily cut metal or wood pieces with it.. it is very nice price. . made in Poland.. there is only a problem .. it is laser calibration .. thats all my experience...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

SECOND CHANCE & SECOND LİFE
post #11 of 17 Old 08-25-2019, 05:47 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post

Bosch 12 in miter saws will also cut steel. One time one of my buddies asked if he could use my chop saw to cut the clevis off of a hydraulic cylinder, told him sure, gave him the key to my shop and told him where to hide it when he was done

I got home found the key and went in the shop. I looked at the chop saw it was still under the bench where it had been and still covered with the same dust. I called my bud and asked him if he was there he said he sure was and gt the clevis cut off. I asked him what he used, he said the chop saw, I told him he didn't use the one under the bench, he said no I used that Bosch that was on the stand. I about blew a gasket it was my new compound miter saw.

I looked the blade over real good, and it didn't have a nick or ding in any of the carbide, as a matter of fact I still use it

I chewed him out for being such a dipstick, he just said I thought it was awful noisy

And no I am not recommending using a Bosch miter saw to cut ferrous metals LOL

There is no app for experience
post #12 of 17 Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
If we can forget about the hostility for a moment and think about reality and geometry for a minute.

The first question that you need to answer is, "How many SCMS do you want to buy, in your lifetime?"

Cheap today and more capacity / versatility tomorrow?

OK, that is half of the equation. The other half is geometric.

If you are working with 4 inch crown moulding or 4 inch stock you need almost 5¾ inches to cut a 45° bevel. The washer on my 12 inch DeWalt SCMS is about 1 inch in diameter. It should be the same on your particular choice. Assuming that there are no other protrusions from the saw itself you have effectively a 6¼ inch blade. Which really means hold your breath and you might be able to get only 2½ inch deep cut AT 90°. (Specs per HD) The length of the crosscut is limited also to about 8¼ inches at 2¼ depth.

If I were to purchase this saw I would reserve it for cutting aluminum or copper. With an abrasive blade cutting steel would be messy but possible.

Looking at US prices Home Depot and Amazon the DeWalt 779 is $349 and the Bosch GCM 12SD is $593. This DeWalt pricing is usually in the $600 range so the $349 says to me that DeWalt has a new model being planned, probably for the Winter Solstice Holiday (Northern Hemisphere) season. Which also says jump now or their may not be any available later.

I have the older DeWalt SCMS (DW-708 IIRC) and it is a superb saw. The DeWalt is what the pros rave about. The neighbor across the street has a 12" Ridgid from Home Depot. When he did his crown moulding he used my DeWalt for accuracy.

I would say that for only $200 more, get the good one now rather than the cheapie today and a good one next month. You wont be sorry.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Last edited by NoThankyou; 08-26-2019 at 02:44 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-26-2019, 01:00 PM

View Scrappile's Photo Album My Photos
I would have a hard time cutting metal and then cutting wood with the same saw, doesn't the metal filings contaminate the wood?
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Paul
post #14 of 17 Old 08-26-2019, 02:07 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
7 1/4 seems too small. I got a 10", and at the time people told me to go full 12". Several years later, the 10" is fine but I can see their reasoning for the 12". Seven-and-a-quarter, though........but obviously you know your needs better than anyone else.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappile View Post
I would have a hard time cutting metal and then cutting wood with the same saw, doesn't the metal filings contaminate the wood?
It isn't quite the same, but I was taught that you should not cut metal with your woodworking bandsaw. I was also taught that if you ignore the advice and cut metal on it anyway, you should never use that particular blade on wood, and you will face a big cleanup job to get all the metal bits out of the nooks and crannies. If you don't get the metal bits out, they can scratch and/or discolor your wood. I was also warned that metal bits can get into your "sealed" bearings and force them into early retirement.

Come to think of it, the only floor/benchtop power tool that I use on both wood and metal is the drill press.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-26-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
If we can forget about the hostility for a moment and think about reality and geometry for a minute.

The first question that you need to answer is, "How many SCMS do you want to buy, in your lifetime?"

Cheap today and more capacity / versatility tomorrow?

OK, that is half of the equation. The other half is geometric.

If you are working with 4 inch crown moulding or 4 inch stock you need almost 5¾ inches to cut a 45° bevel. The washer on my 12 inch DeWalt SCMS is about 1 inch in diameter. It should be the same on your particular choice. Assuming that there are no other protrusions from the saw itself you have effectively a 6¼ inch blade. Which really means hold your breath and you might be able to get only 2½ inch deep cut AT 90°. (Specs per HD) The length of the crosscut is limited also to about 8¼ inches at 2¼ depth.

If I were to purchase this saw I would reserve it for cutting aluminum or copper. With an abrasive blade cutting steel would be messy but possible.

Looking at US prices Home Depot and Amazon the DeWalt 779 is $349 and the Bosch GCM 12SD is $593. This DeWalt pricing is usually in the $600 range so the $349 says to me that DeWalt has a new model being planned, probably for the Winter Solstice Holiday (Northern Hemisphere) season. Which also says jump now or their may not be any available later.

I have the older DeWalt SCMS (DW-708 IIRC) and it is a superb saw. The DeWalt is what the pros rave about. The neighbor across the street has a 12" Ridgid from Home Depot. When he did his crown moulding he used my DeWalt for accuracy.

I would say that for only $200 more, get the good one now rather than the cheapie today and a good one next month. You wont be sorry.
The only "hostility" came when someone decided to go for mockery instead of contributing anything actually helpful to the discussion, something that's been happening entirely too much on this forum as of late. Everybody has to say something, even if they don't have anything to say.

As far as "buy once cry once" goes, I agree with that statement. That said, this isn't an issue of buying a cheap POS tool and replacing it down the line, if that were the case I'd just pick up a $50 saw and be done with it. The 7 1/4" saws I'm looking at are all good quality, just smaller than their 10 and 12 inch brethren, and I have no need for larger sizes. The largest thing I would be cutting on a miter saw would be a 2x8, and much more common would be stuff in the 1x4 range, so the extra capacity of a larger saw would be a complete waste of money for my uses. I don't install crown molding, nor do I plan to, and I have a table saw for the fringe cases in my shop where I need to cut larger pieces. Besides, the $200 more that I saw with the smaller saw pays for a lot of materials to build stuff with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappile View Post
Not if you clean the saw and change blades, which I intend to do anyways. I use my table saw all the time to cut aluminium, never had an issue with a contaminated cut. If you were to add a cutting fluid or coolant to the mix when cutting metal that could cause some issues, but again, clean tools solve that

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
7 1/4 seems too small. I got a 10", and at the time people told me to go full 12". Several years later, the 10" is fine but I can see their reasoning for the 12". Seven-and-a-quarter, though........but obviously you know your needs better than anyone else.
As mentioned above, going for the smaller saw was a thought-out decision. Some shops need the larger capacity saws, mine decidedly doesn't. I don't work with a lot of large, thick pieces, I don't install molding, and I have a table saw I would prefer to use for things like large plywood panels. The 2x8 work envelope of the 7 1/4" blade saws is more than enough capacity for my needs. As an added bonus, a high quality 7 1/4" is a lot cheaper than a high quality 10 inch blade, and cheaper consumables for the same quality is always nice to have
gj13us and evilboweivel like this.

I need cheaper hobby
post #17 of 17 Old 08-26-2019, 04:07 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Powermatic 87 20 inch band saw that cuts metal or wood and never had any problems switching between them, just have to change the blade, blow the metal chips out and cut wood

When I cut metal I usually use a 16 TPI blade, it will cut wood but pretty slow. I could use a 3-4 TPI blade like in my 16x20 horizontal band saw but I would need a vise to hold the metal, that course of a blade might tend to catch on the metal

There is no app for experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode