Electric Spark between planer and dust collector - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

View kelsky's Photo Album My Photos
Electric Spark between planer and dust collector

I have a dewalt 734 planer and a harbor freight dust collector. I put a 4" dryer vent hose between them. I noticed that I was getting small sparks from the planer to the wire inside the hose where it was close to the unit or the base. I have both units plugged into the same circuit, but can't figure out what is going on. The sparks only happen when it starts to plane the wood. While running and not planing I don't have this happening. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like good old static electricity causing the problem.

Some folk recommend all metal duct to prevent such issues since all metal duct will conduct the static to ground without sparking.

If you are using duct which is non-conductive, such as sewer pipe, or the dryer vent hose which is likely steel wire inside plastic, this does not conduct.

When the planer is not generating dust, then no static in the duct.

It is likely the planer dust has static, and this is carrying over to the plastic duct, which insulates until the spark ignites.

This is not easy to solve without changing to all metal duct.

You can try running a grounding wire, bare copper, along the inside of the duct to the dust collector, and grounding at the dust collector.

Wrapping the outside of the plastic duct with a ground wire will not solve the problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
I had that problem when I was using a metal dryer hose to a garbage can with my planer. Ended up just running a grounding wire to the base of the planer from the hose and it solved the problem. The chips flying through the hoses are what's causing your static.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
static sparks are common

The solution is easy. You have a planer, a hose, a plenem, an upper bag, a lower bag, and a motor/blower unit on a metal base. They are not connected "electrically" so the static builds up when the dust travel along either hose. I had the same problem UNTIL I "grounded" the plenum to the motor/blower with a copper wire. You can also ground the planer to the plenum after it's "grounded" to the blower. You need to electrically ground all the components of the system to avoid the static. The hoses do not electrically connect or ground the components since there is no metallic connection within the hose....it's all plastic or in the case of the dryer hose some metal depending.

You can just barely see the wire in this photo by the door hinge:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-14-2013 at 10:39 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM

View BClem's Photo Album My Photos
Perfect solution.
I noticed the date on a piece of tape on your dust collector. Is that to remind you to empty it periodically?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
yep

It's dated on the last cleaning.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

That fixed it. I was in the local Grizzly store and they had a kit to do just that. Ran the wire inside the duct and grounded it to each unit. Thx for the info.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Wood-a-holic

View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
That wire will likely create an issue with buildup in the ducting. Make sure you check it periodically to make sure it stays clear.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Great tip....will do.

thx
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM

View Derl's Photo Album My Photos
I want to thank everyone about this thread. I ran a small copper wire (no insulation) from my DeWalt DW734 Planer in a small hole (that I drilled) to the inside of the plastic hose, down the hose to the inside of my shop vac. I then connected the wire to a metal screw that held the motor in place. I hooked every thing back up and turned both units on and started planning again. Only this time without that pesky Static Electricity.
WOW! WHAT A RELIEF IT IS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode