Dust collector set-up questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

View Conner's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collector set-up questions

I have a Delta contractor's saw and just bought a Delta AP400 dust collector from a guy on CL yesterday. I set it up today and have some questions.
There is only one 4" hose that came with the system. Are people buying or building a manifold that they connect their collectors to that then feed into multiple longer and or differently-sized hoses to go to more than one piece of equipment?
Also, the collector came with two 30-micron filter bags. The seller mentioned using plastic bags on the bottom instead because they could easily be disposed of with the sawdust rather than emptying the cloth bags. Does that make sense? Also, are folks investing in finer (5-micron) bags to keep down the fine dust?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM

View Lucas54's Photo Album My Photos
I tried to build my own system with the very same DC. It didn't work out well. The AP400 just doesn't have the pull to get it done (at least not what I want it to do). For now I'm wheeling mine around from tool to tool until I can save up to upgrade.
Throw away the 30 micron bags and buy some 1 or 5 micron bags.

***safety says do not do this***
There is a cross bar right before you get to the fins on the motor. If you remove this, you will greatly reduce clogging if you use it with a planer or jointer.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2008, 07:30 PM

View David Freed's Photo Album My Photos
You can go here for an enormous amount of information on dust collection. http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas54 View Post
There is a cross bar right before you get to the fins on the motor. If you remove this, you will greatly reduce clogging if you use it with a planer or jointer.
I removed that crossbar on one of my blowers because it was continuously clogging. After I took it out, no more clogs. Do this at your own risk though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
If you put a plastic bag on the bottom, I'm afraid you might lose CFM. Most of, if not all brand name dust collectors that I know of that have a plastic bag on the bottom also have a cartridge filter ontop. There is more filtering surface area in a cartridge then in a single bag. Finer filter bags or a cartridge filter would be alot better than the 30 micron bags you have. But don't think thats going to solve all your dust issues, a air filtration machine is also nice to have to clear the air of what escapes the DC. You will have a cleaner shop, but it's still recommended to use a good dust mask, the really, really fine stuff is whats bad for you. As far as your Contractors tablesaw goes, for dust collection you may want to read this thread http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2188

Last edited by user4178; 09-15-2008 at 07:40 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

View Conner's Photo Album My Photos
Good information, thanks for replying. I'll definitely get some finer bags and keep an eye out for clogs--in which case I'll consider the remedy suggested. I should be okay with the crossbar gone provided I make sure the motor's stopped and unplug the unit before fishing my hand up around inside there.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-15-2008, 03:49 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same DC and have it connected to 3 tools in my shop. I used 4" pvc for the main run, then neck down to the sizes I needed with other pvc fittings. I have several gates and only open the gate for the tool I'm using. The system does a great job in my shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode