Dust collector - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

View bigjoedo's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collector

Hello All,

I know a dust collector would be the best item to use, but right now it isn't in the budget. Can a Shop Vac be used as a dust collector buy directly connecting it to the power tool (router, miter saw. table saw, planer, jointer etc.) ? I already have a shop vac. Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
Joe.
Welcome yes a shop vac can be used I have a vac on my miter saw , router and table saw. I use a pvc Y-fitting and run the hose to my miter saw and my table saw and when I use the router I just move the vac over there and hook up to the back of it. Most times when you get your power tools they come with a 2 1/2 inch adapter for the discharge port hope this helps.

Bruce.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
And buy some ear good protection...I did that shop vac thing for a little while on a mini lathe. It gave me a headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
Daren.
I'm sorry what did you say
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2007, 04:48 PM

View seawolf21's Photo Album My Photos
Vac for dust collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoedo View Post
Hello All,

I know a dust collector would be the best item to use, but right now it isn't in the budget. Can a Shop Vac be used as a dust collector buy directly connecting it to the power tool (router, miter saw. table saw, planer, jointer etc.) ? I already have a shop vac. Thanks

Joe

For years I used my $160.00 ShopVac for dust collection. Before the year warranty was up the circuit board that controls it fried so I had it repaired under warranty. By the way, this unit was the kind that you could plug your router,tablesaw,chop saw, etc into it. I guess it's called (on demand). Two years later the motor burned out and I had to junk it because it would cost me what I originally paid to get a new motor. My son-inlaw who is an electrician said that that shop vacs are not to be run continously for this reason. I broke down and bought a real dust collector from Highland Hardware.

Gary
post #6 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Woodworker and Contractor

View Kingfisher's Photo Album My Photos
Look at a small one from Grizzly or another off brand they work as well and are much cheaper. A Grizzly 1hp two bag setup is only $159 in the 2007 catalog I got here. If you're using it with a planer get the kit to add a trash can in-line to catch the shavings first they are much easyer to empty than the bags

Never measure what you can scribe
post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM

View Steve G.'s Photo Album My Photos
I got a great deal at homdepot for a 12 gallon ridgid shopvac; it was a sale from $89 down to $27! I love it, I use it for my router table and my miter saw
post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

View bigjoedo's Photo Album My Photos
Another Dust collector question

Greetings,

I may have an opportunity to purchase a small 1 HP dust collector system. My question is How many CFMs do I need to add a dust collection cyclone cover and trash can in line between Planer, router, miter saw etc. and the dust collector ? I will be running one tool at a time, using 4 inch tubing about 12 ft. long. Space is at a premium.
Thanks

Joe
post #9 of 9 Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Woodworker and Contractor

View Kingfisher's Photo Album My Photos
small shop and small planer (12") a 1hp should work. I use a 2 hp for a 20" planer and its a little weak but works. I use the trash can second stage too, you have too empty it a lot because the chips are not packed down like in the bag but it is so much easier . I use two trash can and switch quickly with the dust collector running then shut down and empty both at the same time . One trash can will fill up after about 4 pass of 12" wide 16' lumber hope that helps

Never measure what you can scribe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode