Dumb question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

View adauria's Photo Album My Photos
Dumb question

Hi there,

These are more from curiosity than any need to purchase anything, but I have a few dumb questions about power tools. Anyone care to indulge me?

1) What does the size of a bandsaw refer to? Can a "14" bandsaw" resaw a piece that's 14" wide, or can it simply cut a 14" board down the middle of its width, or something like that?

2) Orbital v. Random Orbital sanders - what's the difference, and is it worth ensuring that a sander has the term "random" in its name?

3) Mortising machines - Couldn't one just use a special bit on a drill press and get the same result, or is there a big difference?

I'm sure I've got more questions rattling around in my thick skull, but these will do for now.

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
1) it is the space measured from the blade to the riser arm of the saw, which indicates how wide a piece you can cut. My 14" saw will only resaw 6" (maybe 6.5", can't remember), but it will do 12" if I put a riser extension on

2) orbital, I *think*, just spins in a circle.... i.e. circular sander. the "random" has an oscillating pattern to avoid the swirley's that a circular will create. Not sure if I am explaining this the best. bottom line is you get a better sanding finish from a RAS

3) there are some mortising attachments for a drill press, but I have never read that anyone has been completely satisfied with their performance. There is also a method where you could just drill and then chisel out the rest. I personally went from a mortiser to using a router and mortise jig... I like that and sold my mortiser once I tried it.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I think there was a link here talking about bandsaws that are 14" having wheels with a 14" diameter. I second the ocsillation of the ROS. There are mortising attachments for drill presses but you'd have to ask around as to their results and quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
#1. Band saw size is the distance between the blade and the frame, which is the maximum cutting width. IIRC in order to get the blade from the cutting area, to the blade guard just behind the frame, the wheel is typically 1" or so larger than the stated size...

#2. They already nailed it down real well.. I am not sure if there are any just plain orbital sanders on the market any more. I think all of them are Random Orbitals these days...

#3. Yes you CAN fit a drill press with a mortising attachment, they are far less expensive than a dedicated mortising machine, and much harder to use. Most people will cut mortises with a router and jig, or with drill press and chisel. Mortising machines are pretty popular though. They are definately a luxury item in the shop. A nice luxury, but a luxury...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adauria View Post
Hi there,

These are more from curiosity than any need to purchase anything, but I have a few dumb questions about power tools. Anyone care to indulge me?

1) What does the size of a bandsaw refer to? Can a "14" bandsaw" resaw a piece that's 14" wide, or can it simply cut a 14" board down the middle of its width, or something like that?

2) Orbital v. Random Orbital sanders - what's the difference, and is it worth ensuring that a sander has the term "random" in its name?

3) Mortising machines - Couldn't one just use a special bit on a drill press and get the same result, or is there a big difference?

I'm sure I've got more questions rattling around in my thick skull, but these will do for now.

-Andrew

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Is this Andrew Turner??

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #6 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys! I definitely understand all 3 better than I did before!

I am Andrew, but I have never turned anything nor is my last name Turner.

-Andrew
post #7 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by adauria View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I definitely understand all 3 better than I did before!

I am Andrew, but I have never turned anything nor is my last name Turner.

-Andrew
no problem... and if you are interested in seeing an inexpensive yet effective jig for doing router mortises...
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/r...ise-jig-11028/
post #8 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Nice jig! I will probably build something like that when I need to create a mortise.

-Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode