Drillpress chisel mortiser experience - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

View Ephraim's Photo Album My Photos
Drillpress chisel mortiser experience

Years ago I got a Delta DP mortising attachment, tried it out with fresh chisels; got poor results and put it away. I was a newbie at the time but now have a few more hours in the workshop, so am wondering if I should give it another go. The word is that DP mortisers don't work very well. Just curious to hear of good experiences.
Thanks in advance. Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I can't speak to the DP attachment .....

However, I do own a very nice 3/4 HP Powermatic Hollow chisel mortiser, at the top of the tool reviews. I too was not impressed with my first trial run. I had the bit to chisel offset wrong and that was part of the problem. I didn't realize how much force you had to apply on the handle for the first mortise. Succeeding mortises that overlapped the first one were much easier, since only a portion of the material was being was removed at each pass.

I would suggest watching several You Tubes on the process to get more info. The weakness of the drill press attachment is the lack of power in the down feed quill assembly because of the smaller rack and pinion and the shorter handle. You may not have any of those issues ... I donno?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Watching videos or my opinion is not going to effect how your attachment works on your drill press, put it back on and try it out, it may work to your satisfaction or not, at least you will know.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 12:01 AM
where's my table saw?

Here's a good video for YA .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Years ago I got a Delta DP mortising attachment, tried it out with fresh chisels; got poor results and put it away. I was a newbie at the time but now have a few more hours in the workshop, so am wondering if I should give it another go. The word is that DP mortisers don't work very well. Just curious to hear of good experiences.
Thanks in advance. Fred
Note the chisel to auger adjustment. There are several adjustments that affect how well it works that you may not be aware of:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-25-2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
I gave up chisel mortising years ago, went first with a shop made router jig, then a Mortise Pal, then a Trend M&T jig, and I now own a Leigh FMT Pro jig. I will never go back to drill press mortising or any of the similar methods. It's just way too time consuming when you consider the time required to make the mortises and then the time that it takes to make the tenons to fit them, plus all of the hand fitting to get each M&T pair to fit together properly. The Mortise Pal made it much easier, but it required floating tenons. I made floating tenon stock using my table saw and then my planer to get them the exact thickness needed, then just cut them to length as I needed them. This worked quite well, but the FMT Pro does both the mortise and the matching tenon with the same setup. There's even a fine adjustment to get the tenon to exactly fit the mortise to the tightness desired, with no need to hand fit each tenon to it's mortise after cutting. It is so accurate that I can cut many mortises and tenons of the same size and after cutting they are interchangeable, each tenon will fit all of the mortises and all of them will fit together the same way. I bought the FMT Pro when faced with needing to make over 1,600 M&T joints on a large project. It paid for itself several times over on that first job. I might still be hand fitting each mortise and tenon if I was using a drill press mortiser or similar and then cutting and hand fitting each tenon on that project.

Charley
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM
where's my table saw?

Agreed^

I had the same experience, except on a smaller scale. I tried the Powermatic and it was slow and hard to press down each time, but it worked. There must be a easier way ...? I came up with a self centering router jig and then mortises were easy and faster.

It's adjustable for different width boards and self centers because of the parallelogram design:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/t...tenons-166026/

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-25-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Delta mortice attachment and 3/8" chisel mortice bit for my benchtop Delta drill press, and have gotten along fine with it. In the video Woodnthings posted it does not show making the chisel parallel with the fence (which is important). I do recommend supporting the table to prevent flexing or possible breakage. A sharp chisel is important also and can be sharpened with a cone shaped stone in a drill. A tenon tool for your table saw is also a nice accessory to have.

Gary
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 12:18 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
also have the delta mortising kit for my dp. agree with your results. at work we have a benchtop delta mortise and same poor results. UNTIL i researched and purchased a set of Japanese hollow chisels for it (~ $200 for 4). they come pretty sharp right out of the gate.

that with a proper set up and wow what a difference. we use it often with good results now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode