Drill related question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bullseyeguy

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Drill related question

Hi

I have a old Skil 542 1/2 inch drill, and I'm trying find out what type of drilling jobs this drill is good for, and whether or not it's worth keeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2020, 04:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
speed kills .....?

The first rule of drilling metal is to keep the drill bit cool. That can be done by adding a coolant obviously, but most important is using the correct RPMs and feed rates. The larger the diameter of the bit the slower you want to spin it.

A quick web search revealed this one at $800.00.... asking .... You may want to keep yours?
http://cheappartsguy.com/view-item/10269
I was attempting to determine what the RPMs were but this 542 is variable speed. I have a 1/2" Harbor Freight variable speed I paid about $40.00 years ago. I really like it and use it often when drilling metal.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi

I know that the 540 has a top speed of 500RPM's and the only physical difference seems to be the color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 PM

View Bullseyeguy's Photo Album My Photos
Hi AJ,

I have an old Milwaukee Super Hole Shooter that I haven't used in years. Looking up your drill motor reminded me of that old thing. I keep it partly because I am a "tool whore", and partly because if you need to drill some big 'ol gnarly holes, that will be the drill to do it with! Yours would be good for mixing things like drywall mud, mortar...things like that, and also for landscaping or carpentry work if you need to bore a hole through a railroad tie or an 8X8 post. If you don't think you need that...sell it and put the money toward something that you will use or get enjoyment out of.
Like I said, I'm a bit of a tool whore, so I have a hard time parting with stuff, and it seems like nearly every time I do, a few months later, I could have used it for some project I am working on. This is also why I have no room in my garage!

Just my $.02

Brad
woodnthings likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a tool addict also .....

The tool you get rid of is the one you'll need next. Tools just take up sapce. They don't suck up oxygen or spew out DO2, so what's the harm of keeping them around? If they still cut or spin, there's room in my shops ..... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi

Unfortunately I'm running out of room to store tools, I have a 10' x 11' bedroom I converted into my shop. I'm also a tool whore.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2020, 04:16 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
you need to move the bed out into the dining room and convert more bedrooms into shop space
i mean who uses a dining room anymore?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode