Drill Press Problems - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

View KidHookah's Photo Album My Photos
Drill Press Problems

SO, I'm new to tools and whatnot but I swear I can't be this dumb. I bought a 10 inch craftsman drill press that was on clearance for $30 bucks from $150. I began constructing it a few hours ago and was pretty much done 20 minutes in but the chuck will not go on the spindle no matter what I do.

I have wiped off everything numerous times and since I did not have any acetone on deck, I washed the parts with alcohol free soap and rinsed with water to get rid of the oil and loose particles. When I initially pushed the chuck on the spindle it did not hold whatsoever. I then put a piece of wood under it and hammered upwards and nothing. It does not hold at all.

Could the morse tapers be defective? (It was brand new in the box by the way.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
hard to tell over the net without a photo

The parts are new as the came in the box?
The quill has the appropriate taper inside the shaft? Push some modeling clay into the hole and withdraw it slowly. It should have a taper, if not you are SOL and would need a new quill or have that one machined. There was probably a reason it was so cheap.... I donno?
There may be an obstruction in the quill also. Check with a flashlight.

Post a photo of your chuck and the quill if you can.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-18-2013 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM

View Lilblee's Photo Album My Photos
Seems to me like an obstruction. Does it go in and fall off? Or is it not going in all the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHookah View Post

I have wiped off everything numerous times and since I did not have any acetone on deck, I washed the parts with alcohol free soap and rinsed with water to get rid of the oil and loose particles. When I initially pushed the chuck on the spindle it did not hold whatsoever. I then put a piece of wood under it and hammered upwards and nothing. It does not hold at all.

Could the morse tapers be defective? (It was brand new in the box by the way.)
I wouldn't use any type of soap. Try some lacquer thinner, or denatured alcohol, if the quill needs cleaning. Use a synthetic pad to clean. I don't like steel wool, but if you have to use it make sure you vacuum all residue up.

It shouldn't take much impact to seat the chuck. Sometimes just lowering it with the arm will press the chuck on.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 AM

View Lilblee's Photo Album My Photos
+1 with cabinet man. I usually just take a 2x4 and place it on the work platform and lower the chuck on to it somewhat firmly. Has worked fine every time.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilblee View Post
+1 with cabinet man. I usually just take a 2x4 and place it on the work platform and lower the chuck on to it somewhat firmly. Has worked fine every time.

My chuck has fallen off a coouple of times, too, from a similar DP. Try spitting on the shaft before you follow the above instruction. Mine hasn't fallen off since I did that. No kidding!

Cheers,
Roger
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
although there is a taper fit, there may also be an alignment that has to occur. try rotating the taper slightly to see if it pops into place. at which point you can tap in tighter with a block. my 40 yr old dp has that setup. you may try extending the quill down, like you're drilling a hole, to see if that sheds any light on a slot.

welcome to the forum!

Last edited by TimPa; 09-23-2013 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Any obstruction up the hole?
Paint the spindle(?) part of the chuck with black felt marker.
It will scrape off where the parts rub together.

The chuck has fallen out of my 8" Delta DP a couple of times.
Just a few taps up the spout with said 2x4 reseated the thing.
Probably gets glued into place with my profanities at the time.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
A few things.

MT chucks are usually removed with a wedge shaped key.

Manufacturers usually ship the drills with the key in place. The key is not always obvious.

Also, don't try to hammer the chuck into place, use the quill crank (That's the thing that lowers the drill bit for drilling.) to press the chuck against a piece of wood on the table. This is a much better way of seating the MT chuck.

Take a long drill bit, substantially smaller in diameter than the MT, narrow end. Use the drill bit to clean out any cosmoline that may be in the top of the quill.

Avoid any abrasive on either the quill or chuck MT. They are precision machined to fit together. Any abrasive can disrupt this fit.

If you have to, disassemble the unit and place the head upside down on the bench you can clean the inside of the MT with paint thinner / mineral spirits to get the gunk out. Tape up the wedge key holes and pour the thinner in. An old tooth brush will work wonders.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Tags
chuck, drill, hookah, press, spindle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode