Drill Press with Mortise Bit? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 06-12-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

View Wil_Bloodworth's Photo Album My Photos
Question Drill Press with Mortise Bit?

I've read that you can use a mortising attachment to a drill press so what are the limitations to this as opposed to buying a dedicated hollow chisel mortiser? Precision? Size of mortise?

- Wil

Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
They work pretty decent is you aren't making them all day, I have used mine quite a bit, but just make sure everything is tight, sometimes the chisel will get wedged pretty tight, and when backing out it will shift a little if not good and tight

But I think that would be a problem with a dedicated machine.

The set is somewhat of a PITA to set up, but once set up it is pretty easy, and as with all things cheap doesn't always work out, the chisel and drill sets are a good place not to scrimp
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2017, 08:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
it's about leverage

A drill press has a smaller rack and pinion which applies downward force for drilling. The handle is also fairly short which reduces the leverage to need to push the chisel into the wood. I have the dedicated 3/4 HP Powermatic bench top mortiser, which I found required a lot of force to push the chisel into the first hole. After the first hole was made you can take half "bites" to progress along a straight line for the full length of the mortise.

I have not drilled mortised using a drill press attachment, but have a friend who has one and he says it works OK. I ended up using a router with a straight bit in a self centering jig for making all the mortises on my Mission quilt rack, about 20 some odd ...

I used it here also:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...6590-100-2310/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-12-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode